BBQ Brethren "Cajun/Creole" Throwdown

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Cajun/Creole"[/size]
funny-dog-pictures-cajun-style-squirrel.jpg

Photo courtesy of ihasahotdog.com

...as chosen by Buster Dog BBQ, the winner of the Hot and Fast Throwdown!

Here are the simple and unchanging list of rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

1) The dish must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients in a prominent manner.
2) Entries must be cooked during the current throwdown period ( 12/4 - 12/13 ).
3) All pics (any number) must be submitted by Midnight Central Time on the night of 12/13.
4) Only one picture from one dish will be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise I will choose and my decision will be final.
5) If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.

The voting will begin Monday 12/14 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 12/18. All votes will be public.

Don't forget the Bacon Throwdown is still accepting entries until midnight Sunday night (12/6)!

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Holiday Festive Throwdown.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Would it count if I used an "indoor" fire to cook somethin'? My Dutch oven wants some Cajun something or other in it!

Would it count if I used an "indoor" fire to cook somethin'? My Dutch oven wants some Cajun something or other in it!

I think the rule is that you submit anything you want and let the voters decide! This particular throwdown is begging for a Dutch oven cook in my opinion, but I think whoever submits the tastiest Cajun Squirrel is likely to be the winner and that is probably most easily done hot and fast with blackened spices.

Honestly, if someone were to do a DO cook in their fireplace, I doubt anyone could conceive of an argument that it is not in the true spirit of grilling/smoking. There are no "Throwdown Police" here except for the voters. There are too many possible ways for people to be sneaky for me to keep track of in order to keep people in line with a clear set of rules, thus the reason it is up to the voters to decide. If you want to do something out of the ordinary, go ahead, but it's the votes that count, and it is also each voters responsibility to make sure they know they are picking a dish they would stand behind. After all, it's their vote.

this one has cowgirl written all over it!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

How about gator!

Remember! Use only FRESH PRODUCTS!:biggrin::shock:

Attachments

• RRBC & Gators 017.jpg
    RRBC & Gators 017.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 346
fOR THOSE WORRYING ABOUT SMOKE.... use your old smoked lard

Uhhh, I'm not gonna find any fresh gator here.......unless I bust intot he zoo after hours. Damn, that looks like a whole bunch of good eats and belts, and wallets, and boots in that truck bed. Looking good!

My goodness.........does it really take a freaking hour to make a good roux???? Yes, it does. I did what I could with what I could find. And let me say........My DO did one damn fine job. I think my dad was a little speechless even. He's the soup, stew king. How bout a little seafood gumbo with some green chile rice?

Gotta wait.........

Wait for it..........:twisted:

I see a fishing rod with one BIG ARSE treble hook.........please share details? How do go about catching one of them big lizzards with a fishin pole!!

4162016832_81af244680_b.jpg

Here's dinner. I went with a basic seafood gumbo recipe I found and went from there. I guess it's more surf and turf gumbo. Has some beef sausage and two JD breakfast sausage chubs as well as shrimp, oysters, and clams along with the basics........roux base, unyuun, celery, bell peppa, gaarlic, creole seasoning, and I made some stock from the shrimp shells, and used some clam juice. I'm sure not authentic........but it was damn good. The rice was jasmine with some chopped Hatch green chile. I know, I know........this Beaner just hadta put more heat in it. I tossed in a bit of chipotle flakes........gave it all a nice touch. AIIIIIEEEEEE!!!
Maybe it's more of a jambalaya.....I don't know. Just know it was good stuff!

I see a fishing rod with one BIG ARSE treble hook.........please share details? How do go about catching one of them big lizzards with a fishin pole!!
Bob,that is some gooood lookin' gumbo, I garontee! There is no set rules on what goes into a pot of gumbo. Any kind of meat. What ever you have on hand. Yes, it does take a long time to make a good roux, you just can't rush it since it doesn't take much to burn , then you have to start over. I like idea of the chili flavored rice!

Getting to your question about the rod and treble hook.They are caught on a hand line that is staked to shore overnite. Sometimes it takes more than one line to pull a BIG ARSE gator in since they seem alittle reluctent to be pulled ashore. The other line helps to gaff and pull them on shore. They are then shot in the head with a 22 mag. All these were caught before 8am and the bigger ones were caught before lunch. A couple 10ft.:biggrin:

Here's my entry..."Cajun Shrimp Salad"...:biggrin:

CajunShrimpSalad012.jpg

Use this pic for the money shot...:cool:

CajunShrimpSalad013.jpg

Bob,that is some gooood lookin' gumbo, I garontee! There is no set rules on what goes into a pot of gumbo. Any kind of meat. What ever you have on hand. Yes, it does take a long time to make a good roux, you just can't rush it since it doesn't take much to burn , then you have to start over. I like idea of the chili flavored rice!

Getting to your question about the rod and treble hook.They are caught on a hand line that is staked to shore overnite. Sometimes it takes more than one line to pull a BIG ARSE gator in since they seem alittle reluctent to be pulled ashore. The other line helps to gaff and pull them on shore. They are then shot in the head with a 22 mag. All these were caught before 8am and the bigger ones were caught before lunch. A couple 10ft.:biggrin:

Sounds like a fun time. Try the rice, I think you'll like it. I tell you what, the gumbo is even better the next day. What's a standard gator recipe and cooking procedure for it? Too bad the Rio Grande don't have gators in it!:-D
Thanks,
Bob

P.S.--Looking good there JD!!

Back