The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Apple Wood Score (Maybe)

I've been looking for apple wood and so far hadn't found any in the stores I frequent. I live near quite a few apple orchards, but to date have not checked them out as a possible source for apple wood (I will get around to that some day).

Last week, I had an un-scheduled visitor at work, which is unusual. Most vendors/salesmen know to make an appointment. It turned out to be the foreman on a crew clearing a right-of-way for the local power company. It seems one of our trees was within their right-of-way AND over 15 feet tall and had to be cut down. Well, long story long, it was a crab apple tree. I immediately laid claim to the tree and now have a crap apple tree worth of wood at home.

Crab Apple Wood:
100_0621.jpg

The larger pieces (Note: the piece the go-devil is resting on was a bear to load by myself ):
100_0622.jpg

Split wood:
100_0623.jpg

My question to the most knowledgeable brethren is is crab apple wood OK to use to smoke with??? How long does it need to season before using???

Thanks

Papa

Unread 11-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nope stuff is no good. However, I will take it off your hands and dispose of it promptly!

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Nope stuff is no good. However, I will take it off your hands and dispose of it promptly!

BBS is wrong! I have a disposal in my back yard send it to me and will carefully and fast take care of your issue. Just send it to me...

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

Papa,I went to a apple orchard when they were trimming and was told I could have all the trimming.I could not use it all.I would make friends with the apple guy's this spring if I were you.

Unread 11-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

BTW: This time of the year you are going to have to let that wood sit until a few heat waves in spring.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
bbqfans
Full Fledged Farker

Default PapaPayne.......................................;}-

You made a terriffic score, Crabapple is fine to smoke and if you have it split(I noticed some splits already)it will be ready this Spring. Provide a good cover with ventilation from the bottom(aka-tarp), you'll have a summer of fantastic Pork.
Have fun and

Unread 11-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 3

Nice. That brings up another question, are the stump and roots good for smoke wood?
Crazy Harry is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-28-2009, 02:56 AM   #8
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks everybody for your replies!

Can't wait to try this stuff. Wonder if a hairdryer will quicken the seasoning of the wood??

Unread 11-28-2009, 02:58 AM   #9
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Harry View Post
Nice. That brings up another question, are the stump and roots good for smoke wood?
I would think the stump would be the same as the rest of the tree, just bigger in diameter. Not sure about the roots though.

Papa

Unread 11-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #10
QuietOne
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Harry View Post
Depending on the tree the roots and stump can be a lot more flavourful or they can be milder.

Funny thing one of my dogs LOVES apple roots. Won't touch a twig hardly though. So I chewed on a root and it was down right sweet. I pulled some from they dead tree and let it sit a year and smoked with it was most fragrant smoke I've ever had. This was a crab apple tree about 28 years old.

Tried it with a Granny Smith tree and it was so mild couldn't tell it had been smoked hardly and it didn't taste like "apple"
QuietOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
brer rabbit
Knows what a fatty is.

apple is predominantly what i use. the greener it is, the more "tannins" flavor you get on the meat. i like it better after it sits split out in the rain for a year. i think the sun and rain are good for it rather than under a tarp full of mold. especially if its cut green.

crabapple is the same as far as smoke is concerned. apple genetics are incredibly diverse, and crabs are just better at living wild. next time you eat a red delicious, put the seeds in your pocket. when u get home, put em in the fridge. plant them out this spring near a southern facing woodline. i always take them out the first week of turkey season. none will be red delicious, and they will all be drastically different, but a few will be sweet, and the rest will make the best hard apple cider one day.
brer rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote