ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-24-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Getting Started for Thanksgiving...Love it!

Tonight, thawing the 14 lb bird and will brine tomorrow night. Will do on the Weber indirect or crank up the UDS to smoke this. This isn't a throwdown or competition thread, just post what you are doing so we can all enjoy this Thanksgiving. Tlhanks everyone for such a wonderful place to be a part of. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Picked up a 12lb fresh bird at Hen house today. Leaving work early tomorrow and heading to the in-laws down in Neosho, Mo. When we get there I will get it in the brine and cook it in our Petzford smoker. Did I mention I spent $400 at sams today to stock my father in laws freezer for the year!
4- packers
12- slabs of spairs
6- pork butts
6- chickens
2- pork tenderloins
8- t-bones to celebrate brother in laws graduating law school
It will be a lot of work but its worth it because they enjoy it all year.
Happy thanksgiving everybody!
-www.moocowbbq.com-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-BLUE Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -Haulmark Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Happy Thanksgiving Neighbor, Moocow and my Brethren friends.
I'll brine my turkey tomorrow and plan on smoking it on the drum again this year. I'll be making smashed tatoes, gravy, dressing, broccoli casserole,
pea salad, cranberry relish, bacon/onion corn, deviled eggs, garlic smoked olives, the usual pickles and olives... some pecan, pumpkin and cream pies. Rolls...I can't remember what else.

With deer season going on and company here, I've made some fatties for breakfasts, smoked some more pork to have on hand for lunches, have some pintos soaking overnight for Saturday...
Fattening up a pig for Saturday, had a friend dig a pit with his backhoe today.
Haven't got a deer yet but deer camp has been fun so far.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2009, 01:27 AM   #4
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Great idea Meat! I'll gladly join in with my neighbors!

Cooked 2 12 lb turkeys tonight on the WSM for a couple of my employees. Everything went smooth! Even snuck a couple of maple fatties on!

14 lb bird in the fridge for Thursday. Loading up the WSM and taking it over to my parents house tomorrow. I'll be smoking it Thursday morning. My lovely wife is making Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Cheesecake, and some kind of cranberry cream cheese cheese ball thingie with homemade chutney. She's also making up a batch of Kerri's HogApple baked beans! Mom has dressing and mashed taters and yeast rolls on her plate and a regular pumpkin pie. Also roasting a Pork Tenderloin. My sis will make SOMETHING I hope. :) I need to request some green bean casserole from her and some deviled eggs!!

We should have 14 or so there for dinner. By the time I get the turkey ready to eat I will be ready for a nap and some football... :)

Hanging with the family and seeing the smiles when you feed them good makes it all worthwhile doesn't it? At least MOST of the time!

Happy Thanksgiving my friends! May you all have a wonderful week and cherish the holiday!

Unread 11-25-2009, 02:08 AM   #5
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

All I've done is prep work so far .

Two 17 pound Cook's hams have been trimmed of the rind & extra fat, injected with the following mix until it was running out as quick as I injected: 40 ounces of apple juice, 12 half sticks cinnamon, 15 cloves, 4 cups brown sugar and 6 ounces of Jack Daniel's. Then I gave each a good rub-down with Plowboy's Yardbird and put them in the fridge to get all happy 'til morning. I also brined 13 skinless turkey boobs (bone in) to cook for a local halfway house's T-day meal.

All that's left is to roll the fatties, make up 5 pounds of pig candy and do a bit of cookin' later this morning. Oh yeah, I also have to cook up half of a pork loin and start the other half for bacon.

Other than that I'm just gonna sit around & drink beer . I'll post some pron tomorrow.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

The 17 lb bird has started it's thaw towards Friday's date with the UDS (yes, Friday). Since the family doesn't get here until Thanksgiving night, I'll be making a big pot of Chicken and Andouille Gumbo for their arrival. I made my bread starter last night; I make a big 4-1/2 lb french country loaf, which has a little sourdough hint to it. I'll make two of those monsters; one for Thursday; one for Friday. I'll be prepping for the pies as well, and DW is making Blueberry/Cheese Danish for our guests. Our family has rented a cottage on Anna Maria Island, a quaint island community about an hour away. We will be staying with them all weekend, and we're bringing the party with us. I'll be loading the UDS in the truck for a road trip! There will be plenty of pron, but not until Monday night at the earlest.

Unread 11-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
DaChief
Babbling Farker

Two 13lb turkeys in Brine. Will air dry in the fridge tonight then on the WSM tomorrow.

BGE Large
WSM
Weber One-Touch Gold
Weber Go-Anywhere
Turkey Fryer

"Go on! Shoot me again! I enjoy it! I love the smell of burnt feathers and gunpowder and cordite!"
-- Daffy Duck
DaChief is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
Chef Country
is one Smokin' Farker

Well i have 4 or 5 12-18lb turkeys going on and 4 nice size hams, 6 pheasants, and a few fatties, 5 or 6 is a few isnt it? smoking with hickory got turkeys in a brime and pheasants in jack. smoking tonight alot of it for coworkers, good thing i have a big smoker
Shop built 300 gal smoker
Traeger bbq 125 with digital 180 controller
collecting parts for a 500gal reverse flow build
Chef Country is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

I've also got two 13 pounders in the brine for our T-Day meal. The UDS is locked and loaded! Just waiting for tomorrow's sunrise to fire it up! Happy early T-Day and thanks for all the GREAT farking advice!

Unread 11-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Doing 2 again this year. One 21 Lb'r in the oven and a 14 Lb'r for the Egg! I am so ready for tomorrow's dinner!

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Uploads: 1

I have a 12 lb breast in the brine, will be smoking it tomorrow.
Happy Thanksgiving All!

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

I've got a 12 lb breast ready to rub down early tomorrow morning to supplement the M.I.L's oven roasted turkey along with 2 big turkey legs. Some moinks and bacon wrapped jalapeno vienna sausages will fill in the empty space around the turkey legs on the WSM.

Scott
Backwoods fatboy, onyx oven
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
timmy7649
Full Fledged Farker

i'm doing some apps. so going to smoke a jimmy dean fatty stuffed with jalapinoes cream cheese/ motz. cheese. then a jimmy dean fatty stuffed with sauteed mushrooms and onions and cheese. then i will toast some bagel halfs and put sliced fatty on and melt cheese on top under the broiler. then just some moink balls. happy thanksgiving to all!

Unread 11-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
Mvillesmoker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I started mine a few hours ago. A 12 lbs whole turkey, a 10 lbs turkey breast and a 16 lbs ham all bathing in the smoke. Also added 2 chickens for supper tonight. Added a few (about 30 each) bacon wrapped cocktail smokies and bacon wrapped tater tots. I will try top post pron later.
Mvillesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #15
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Bump.... cause it's a good thread!

Happy Thanksgiving my Brethren!