ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 11-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
bradbuesing
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Requesting Cooking Competition Brisket advice

Mentoring advice requested. We have been practicing for a couple of years and want to step up to the next level and enter some competitions. As for brisket, our steps are as follows: 1. Dry Rub application over night 2. smoke with pecan for 7 hours 3. Apply basting sauce and wrap and continue for 5 more hours internal temp 190 4. choke fire and allow meat to rest in smoker for 4 hours. 5. cool, cut, serve.

Thoughts and steps that we are leaving out, or need to pay special attention to? All thoughts are welcomed. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tail.jpg (74.0 KB, 220 views)

Unread 11-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

How is your presentation?

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

For KCBS and I'm sure other organizations, you will not be able to flavor your meat before inspection - so that will change your first step.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Step 1: As mentioned above, you're going to have trouble getting that full timeline in for KCBS (or, for that matter, IBCA). Does your rub have sugar or salt in it? Those will draw moisture out of the meat -- is that something you want to do?

Step 2: The meat is only going accept smoke for a certain amount of time -- some say until 135 degrees or so, although that's a matter of some discussion. What internal temp are you shooting for before you wrap?

Step 3: Is 190 a number you've determined works best with your extended rest in the smoker? Have you tried other temps?

Step 4: Is there a particular reason you rest the meat in the cooker (with its variable temp) rather than a cooler or holding box?

Step 5: Are you boxing for KCBS or IBCA?

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yeah, 16 hrs of total time on a briskie is gonna cut it close. Ever thought of using a pre-warmed cooler for resting?

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
MilitantSquatter

Are you only using this pit for the brisket only and plan to cook any other category meats on other cookers ?

Unread 11-25-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
bradbuesing
Got rid of the matchlight.

Just with the quick feedback already it is obvious I need to start with the basic rules and timelines. Suggest best link to secure a good guideline. Basting sauce is out-of-bounds for competetion? That will be good to know. What about mops, etc.?

As for times I have played some with different temps but willing to listen to thoughts.

Yes, we have used a cooler for resting. But the mess makes me crazy.

As for other meats going at the same time, have not practiced the full list all at the same time. Suggestions?

Unread 11-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
MilitantSquatter

Do you plan to cook KCBS, IBCA or another sanctioning bodies events ?

As far as the cooler - put an aluminum pan under it and it will contain the mess if lots of foil doesn't work for you.

Cooking individual meats are fine to get flavor profiles down but you should practice all the meats together at least once like a contest timeline to plot out your workflow and timing

Unread 11-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #9
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Try the Butcher BBQ injection product. It will give you more moisture in the end and give you a broader window of "doneness" without being overdone.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #10
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

Great logo! Thats about all I can add to this thread.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2009, 01:45 AM   #11
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbuesing View Post
Basting sauce is out-of-bounds for competetion? That will be good to know. What about mops, etc.?
Don't know where you got that idea. You cannot spice or inject your meat prior to inspection.

http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/KCBS_Rules_an...tions_2009.pdf

http://www.ibcabbq.org/topbar/rul.html

Unread 11-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

You asked for help on your cooking steps. Its a very broad question because you never said that there is anything wrong with those steps, you only mentioned that you don't want to be missing any step. So is your meat good meat to start with, is it trimmed good, is it spice or injected to the flavors liked in your area, is gettting finished correctly, is the box built to be tasty looking? We all can throw out ideas but with out knowing where YOU think you need help its real hard.

Also after applying your rub look at the bottle and make sure your bottle reads Plowboy Bovine Bold and your injection reads Butcher BBQ.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #13
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbuesing View Post
Yes, we have used a cooler for resting. But the mess makes me crazy.
Put a foil pan in the bottom of the cooler first. I use a cambro with a steel pan lined with a foil pan.

And is your timing for a flat or packer? That's about my timing for flats so maybe it's undercooked. Temp is not the be all and end all. Take a therma pen and slide it into the flat. If it feels like a stick of soft butter then it's done. One brisket will be done in the 190's and then next needs 205.

Unread 11-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Redheart linked to the rules for KCBS and IBCA. Read them and understand them. As far as timeline, that is variable depending on your cooker and cooking methods. Basically, for KCBS you can't do anything to your meat except trim it before you go through meat inspection. Once meat inspection is done then you can begin your process. I have had my meat inspected as early as noon and as late as 5:00pm on Friday. it depends on when you get to the site and when the inspector has time for you. Then, you have to have the brisket ready for turn in by 1:30pm on Saturday (for most competitions). What you do in between in up to you!

You also should practice the full competition turn ins to make sure that you juggle cook times, prep times, etc. so you don't have conflicts. We all recommend doing a full competition (setup and all) in your driveway or back yard so you know what you will need and what to leave home. Whenever you find something that you have to run into the house for, write it down!

Most important, have fun!

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #15
comfrank
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Basically, for KCBS you can do anything to your weat except trim it before you go through meat inspection.
Whoops, caught a boo-boo here. In KCBS, you CAN trim your meat before inspection. You CANNOT inject, rub, seaon, or marinate.

--frank in Wilson, NY