Brining da Bird

Yakfishingfool

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Has anybody added rubs to their brine at all? Was thinking of doing the traditional salt/sugar/garlic powder and then soaking the bird, but got into thinking about using a rub as an addition or instead of some of the salt and sugar. Any thought? Scott

I add rub to chicken brines. For T-Day turkey I'm not usually looking for that particular flavor, but in short, yes. It works fine.

You can put any kind of spices and herbs that you want into a brine.
Some people will ad Worcestershire sauce, or Soy sauce, or Hot sauce...use
whatever you like.

Keep track of how much you use...that way you can ad more next time if you want
a stronger flavor...or less; if the taste is too strong.

you can certainly add rubs to your brine - keep in mind that a brine works through the difference in concentration by osmosis. That said, you have to make a fairly concentrated brine to get flavor to pass that way, especially with the relatively short brining time for poultry. I often add a bit to the brine, but count on still applying some on the surface before cooking. My favorite approach is to make a compound butter with the rub and use that under the skin.

Good luck!

Great information guys, Yes, I understand the osmosis thing. The butter and rub sounds perfect as well. May do that instead as I have more control over it. Thanks. Scott

Back