The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default enhanced birds are all i can find!!!

What the fark! Only enhanced birds, 4 different supermarkets. Nothing. Local turkey farmer wants $4lb and he cant get me the bird til weds. Birds goin in the brine tomorrow night either way. I got the lowest one i could find, 6% of some mystery solution of salt, flavoring and spices, whatever that means. Anybody gonna try and talk me outta this, i was thinking just going with a lower overall salt content in the brine, more just to pump up the flavors and add a little more juiceness(def not a word).

Def gonna do 20 minutes of ice on the breast before it goes in the smoker thou, worked like a charm last year.

Finally one last question, did it in the performer with the rotis ring last year and made everyone very happy, Dual sided fire brick mod. Was thinking about using the hanger from my turkey fryer and letting her hang in the pro-q with a nice pan of white wine and veggies underneath it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Unread 11-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
LT72884
Babbling Farker

I was gonna buy a 50$ turkey all natural tell i saw the .79cents per pound norbest turky with 8% solution of water and salt brine. But it was frozen so if i can do it right ill take it out of the bag and then there will be no solution. HAHA... My bird is 23.5 pounds.. I have never smoked a turkey BUT i know that the enhanced turkey tastes good done in our oven.

Unread 11-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

from what ive heard, thats a pretty big bird for a smoker. I know most say try to keep it under 16lbs, but im sure it'll turn out just fine.

Unread 11-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by early mornin' smokin' View Post
from what ive heard, thats a pretty big bird for a smoker. I know most say try to keep it under 16lbs, but im sure it'll turn out just fine.
Yup, thats why im roastin it in the oven. But it is enhanced. For you i dont know if enhanced will taste good smoked. Never had smoked turkey. The salt might pick up smoke more or something and cause it to taste like ham. LOL that would suck..

Unread 11-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Improvise, adapt, and overcome. I'm skipping the brine and going with an enhanced bird, and just injecting the crap out of it, adding some rub, and a little TLC. It's worked in the past when I was pressed for time.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Jay Bird
is one Smokin' Farker

Got one of those 12.5# brined Trader Joe's birds. The wrapper says "MAY CONTAIN GIBLETS". For the sake of my gravey I sure hope it do.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

I found one that was only 3% enhanced, so I thought I would cut down on the brine time from 12 to 8 hours.. I hope it's not going to be too salty.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
nolaman
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with Jorge. No sense getting stressed . Fix it up, throw it in the cooker!
Lesson learned...Next time, buy what you want early!

Unread 11-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
schoonch
Knows what a fatty is.

Check out the birds in King Kullen. They are "all natural, minimally processed". I believe that is what you need to brine. Those are the only non-self basting birds I've found on LI except fot the really pricey fresh ones. It's their store brand and if you buy $50 worth of groceries they are only .29 per pound (.99 / lb if you don't drop half a c note). They had plenty of birds in the Middle Island store the other day and that's not too far from you. I just rubbed one in salt tonight for a dry brine. Gonna cook it on the drum with a turkey cannon.
schoonch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
Midnight Smoke

I have never had a fresh Turkey. I have cooked many Butterballs and find that if cooked properly they come out great. I use a heavy Butter slather with seasoning's and no stuffing. Someday I will need to try a fresh one. I heard Costco had fresh Turkeys for .79 LB. Should be there tomorrow and will check that out.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
I found one that was only 3% enhanced, so I thought I would cut down on the brine time from 12 to 8 hours.. I hope it's not going to be too salty.
I just posted in another thread.

The bird will attempt to achieve a state of equilibrium with the % of salt in the brine. What that means is that the brine and salt in the bird don't create an "additive" effect, it's not adding salt as much as it's trying to achieve a state of equilbrium.

Use a normal brine and normal time for 12% enhanced birds or less

Russ
Author Brining 101
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

thanks okie, answered my question perfectly.....now if i can just decide whether to hang it in the pro-q or put it in a roasting pan in the performer....decisions decisions

Unread 11-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

I have 64 pounds of 8% enhanced birds in a cooler loaded with brine at a ratio of 1 cup salt and 1 cup sugar per gallon of water right now. Russ nailed it, these will be the same as if I had put non-enhanced bird in the same brine. It balances out to the strength of your brine.
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #14
Cre-B-Ce
is One Chatty Farker

I always get Honeysuckle turkey breasts from Sam's. I believe they in a 15% solution. I just thaw, rinse and cook. They always turn out delicious.

[FONT=Arial Black][I]Lewd, Qe'd & Tatted [/I][/FONT]

Large Big Green Egg
[FONT=Arial](2) UDS [/FONT]
Cre-B-Ce is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #15
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Uncle Guiseppes on 111 has Bell N Evans all natural. No solution.

about 2.25$/lb. The ones I saw yesterday ran 30$ and up.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote