The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
puddle jumper
Got Wood.

Thumbs up Reverse Flow Build Help ??

Hey guys,
I was wondering if you could give me some advice on a idea I was thinking about,, on a build im working on, I've never seen one like this but I was thinking about adding a water bowl on the end of my baffle plate, I have the grill about 75% done and im going to be welding in the plate this week but im up in the air weather it really needs it or will the juice's do the same thing on this type of grill???
Anyway,, Thanks for the help..
Puddle
Also in planning to post a step by step of the build when its bone...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg water bowl on grill.JPG (50.8 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg the grill.JPG (119.0 KB, 166 views)

Old 11-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

I wouldn't think you would need one for a reverse flow.
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Char-Griller Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
cvan
On the road to being a farker

I know nothing about a reverse flow but I do like some moisture.
I like your design. I would think it would just sweat nicely.
cvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

I would think that the water would want to go close to the fire box and that the baffle would come after the water tub. If I were to do a steam tub in a reverse flow I would consider putting in a trough along the length of the smoker box with a fill valve on the out side. just my 2 cents

Old 11-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Keep in mind where the grease from the drippins will flow. They usually hit the baffle then flow away from the fire hole. In your case it would flow into the water bowl. Will the bowl be big enough to catch all the drippins?

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

First notions...

The immediate top surface of the firebox is prob the hottest surface... bouncing off the heat/flames. Current Lang smokers (the original reverse flow developer) used the radient energy from the firebox for the 'warmer cabinet' above the firebox... not as a cooking chamber. Would think that alone would be a hard aspect to regulate temp if there is a shared metal sheet (top box/lower cabinet) surface.

If there is a shared metal surface... sounds like a fire hazzard for any pork grease drippings from the ribs. A grease drain is a safety feature not to ignore.

Thinking along those lines... line the bottom of the "rib box" with firebricks as a heatsink and use the waterbowl within the rib-box.

The main horizontal chamber should have a grease drain somewhere.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
puddle jumper
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post

If there is a shared metal surface... sounds like a fire hazzard for any pork grease drippings from the ribs. A grease drain is a safety feature not to ignore.

The main horizontal chamber should have a grease drain somewhere.

Thanks for the input so far,,

Im open for all ideas and sugjestions,,
Yes, the rib box is mounted to the fire box, ,, There is a dump/ regulation valve in the bottom of the box "with a small baffle over it if you look close you can see the t-handle comming out from the bottom of the box so I dont have to open the box to open or close the valve" so that the dripping can go into the firebox and hopefully add some flavor and also be able to add some heat if I need to bring the temp up,,thats the idea anyway,,

As for the main chamber the will definently be a drain on the baffle and the water bowl "if installed was going to be raised 1" so the dripping would be forced to flow down the drain,,,

I might should have made the post with the build "so far" so you could get a better idea of the big picture,, Im working tonight so I will post it up tomarrow so you guys can get a better look at the whole thing,,,

Again thanks for the comment and the help much apreciated,,
Puddle

Oh,, and the reason I was looking to put the water on the right side is so it would flow across the meat in the main chamber and not just up and into the rib box... not sure if thats right or not but that was the idea...