The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #16
bbqdano
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Your location says Colorado. What is your elevation? You may have an air density problem.

American BBQ Systems model All Star, CS-570 & TG-300 pellet grills, Broilmaster P3, and lastly, Superfast Red Thermapen
bbqdano is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2009, 10:53 PM   #17
DMDon
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqdano View Post
Like Andy said, you must have the air going through the burn screen so it can evacuate the burned pellets so check the burn pot / screen and make sure it is all the way to the left as you're facing the unit.

Insufficient airflow will cause the burn pot to fill up with ash even using the cleanest burning pellets. Take the 6 screws out of the end panel that has the supply fan and pull the entire panel off. GO SLOW as there may not be a lot of slack in the wires that supply the fan motor. (Hopefully you've unplugged the unit by now.) The wires connecting the fan motor are spade terminals and they can be easily lifted off thus making the end panel completely unattached.

What you are looking for is to make sure the wires are bundled up out of the way. The fan needs a straight shot to be able to blow enough air into the burn pot. If your wires are near the bottom of the control cabinet, get some wire or zip ties and and suspend them up and out of the way.

If all of the vent holes are wide open, try propping the lid open an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. (I've just clipped a wooden clothespin to the bottom left corner of the lid when I wanted to relieve some heat (and airflow). I too had trouble with branch creek pellets in my original CS570 factory condtion. With the wires up out of the way and one EXTRA vent hole, even Branch Creek pellets will burn fine and blow the ash out of the pot. You will go through a few more pellets with increased airflow but your combustion problems should go away.

Good luck!!
Dano, when you say extra vent hole. Do you mean propping the lid open with the clothespin or have you drilled an extra hole in the cooking chamber? I have thought of drilling an extra hole or two, on the end next to the pellet hopper. Would it make sense to drill them to the right side(when looking directly the fan end) of the pellet hopper to help even out the air flow and heating? I believe the back cooks hotter than the front due air flowing to the exhaust holes on the back.
FEC-100
Country Smokers Whole Hog
Weber kettle 22.5 w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle 22.5
Weber Smokey Joe
KCBS CBJ #23234
DMDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #18
bbqdano
Knows what a fatty is.

Howdy DMDon,

I actually have drilled extra holes next to the control enclosure on the front and back side. The smoke from the ones in front can be annoying at times. I actually closed the front hole some time ago because of the smoke.

Currently, I've gone overboard with a motorized exhaust vent along with a fan speed control in an attempt to reduce pellet consumption and increase smoke flavor. It's a little rough because I was just using spare parts but we'll see how it goes. I've closed off all but one of the vent holes and when the stack damper is closed, the fan throttles back to about half speed. The jury is still out as I've just completed this mod so more to follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cs570 damper.jpg (232.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg cs570 stack.jpg (222.0 KB, 45 views)

American BBQ Systems model All Star, CS-570 & TG-300 pellet grills, Broilmaster P3, and lastly, Superfast Red Thermapen
bbqdano is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
johnsom14
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default johnsom14

I am having a similar problem. Why is there so much ash left in my burn plate and grill?
johnsom14 is offline   Reply With Quote