The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Louisiana Grill Question

For those of you who have a Louisiana Grill, I'm having an issue I wanted to see if any of you have experienced. Yesterday when I was smoking briskets, the fire pots went out three separate times. When I moved everything out and got down to the firepots I saw that the pellets were backed up and quite a bit of ash was in the fire pot.
Anybody have this happen to them? Any suggestions on how to correct this other then "Buy this kind of smoker....)
Thanks for your help in advance!

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have no advice Bossman, but thanks for asking. I'm considering a CS 570.

Unread 11-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Just dont understand why it isnt staying lit

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-

Unread 11-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
Wesman61
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll be watching this thread. I'd love to get The 1050 or what ever it's called.
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
chibi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossmanbbq View Post
For those of you who have a Louisiana Grill, I'm having an issue I wanted to see if any of you have experienced. Yesterday when I was smoking briskets, the fire pots went out three separate times. When I moved everything out and got down to the firepots I saw that the pellets were backed up and quite a bit of ash was in the fire pot.
Anybody have this happen to them? Any suggestions on how to correct this other then "Buy this kind of smoker....)
Thanks for your help in advance!
Forget that pellet pooper and get a Sumps clone!!!

Really...Did you check your fan? Sounds like it is not blowing proper.
maybe a short somewhere?

Michael

Vertical insulated charcoal dropping clone.
Homemade offset.
Traeger LilTex for winter cheating.
<><

Remember when you get in the
storms of life that's when you have to learn to dance in the rain.
chibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Fan is working fine, everything checks out fine, just doesnt make sense

- Mike Mills-

Unread 11-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
chibi
Full Fledged Farker

Maybe a bad batch of pellets? did they get wet? any moisture inside the auger area?

Vertical insulated charcoal dropping clone.
Homemade offset.
Traeger LilTex for winter cheating.
<><

Remember when you get in the
storms of life that's when you have to learn to dance in the rain.
chibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

I had to clean out the pot every time I used it or it would not run right.I also found that if I did not heat it up enough in the start up that it did not work as well,so I run it wide open till it reached 600 then dialed it in.I was talking with the boy's at my bbq shop and one of them was having trouble with his auger jamming with swelled up pellets,we thought it might be a bad bag of pellets.

Unread 11-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

The pellet pot has to be all the way up against the wall of the cooker, or the fan air can blow around it, instead of through it....

Was the tall lip on the pot behind the ramp, or in front of it. It needs to be behind the ramp, or pellets can sit on the ramp, and not drop...

Finally, depending on the age of the unit, if it is an original, and had a short shaft on the paddle wheel motor, it could be that your paddle wheel is stripped out, and needs to be replaced.

thats about all i can come up with...

Unread 11-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

In addition to what Andy listed above, I have two other thoughts:

- what brand of pellets are you using? we had the problem you are describing when we were burning branch creek

- do you have any of the exhaust holes plugged up? we were doing that to the wholes opposite the pot to help even temps across the smoke chamber but think that was cutting down on draft to blow the ash out of the pot
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
BBQSamYesIam
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a CS680 and have found that there are definite differences in ash based on pellets being used. On slow burns, I tend to mix in a lot more oak pellets (cheaper), but they definitely generate more ash, which fills the pot quicker. This can casue the fire to extinguish. A bigger problem that I am having deals with temperature variances from one end of the grill to the other!! At a setting of 280, I have a 40 degree variance, with higher temps occuring at the right end of the grill.
BBQSamYesIam is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

The pellets I was using were BBQer Delight Mesquite and they aren't damp. The ramp is behind the lip and it is a an original with the paddle wheel. On one side I had to replace a paddle, on the other I haven't had to yet. I'm going to vacuum it out again tomorrow and see what happens, just weird, used it all competition season and never had this issue.

- Mike Mills-

Unread 11-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #13
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

so do you use the hopper extensions?

Unread 11-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #14
bbqdano
Knows what a fatty is.

Like Andy said, you must have the air going through the burn screen so it can evacuate the burned pellets so check the burn pot / screen and make sure it is all the way to the left as you're facing the unit.

Insufficient airflow will cause the burn pot to fill up with ash even using the cleanest burning pellets. Take the 6 screws out of the end panel that has the supply fan and pull the entire panel off. GO SLOW as there may not be a lot of slack in the wires that supply the fan motor. (Hopefully you've unplugged the unit by now.) The wires connecting the fan motor are spade terminals and they can be easily lifted off thus making the end panel completely unattached.

What you are looking for is to make sure the wires are bundled up out of the way. The fan needs a straight shot to be able to blow enough air into the burn pot. If your wires are near the bottom of the control cabinet, get some wire or zip ties and and suspend them up and out of the way.

If all of the vent holes are wide open, try propping the lid open an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. (I've just clipped a wooden clothespin to the bottom left corner of the lid when I wanted to relieve some heat (and airflow). I too had trouble with branch creek pellets in my original CS570 factory condtion. With the wires up out of the way and one EXTRA vent hole, even Branch Creek pellets will burn fine and blow the ash out of the pot. You will go through a few more pellets with increased airflow but your combustion problems should go away.

Good luck!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CS5701.jpg (100.9 KB, 118 views)

American BBQ Systems model All Star, CS-570 & TG-300 pellet grills, Broilmaster P3, and lastly, Superfast Red Thermapen
bbqdano is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

If you use the hopper extension, I am betting it is the paddle wheel stripping out. That weight causes the plastic core to crack or strip on the added weight of pellets in the hopper...