Icing the breast

smokehunter

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I here more stuff on this site that seems crazy but cool for sure. Do people truelly ice down the breast before smoking? Does it make that big of a difference. (For the record I did see Rick's Tropical D. doing it, and judging the pics it would be hard to argue with him:grin:)

I get great results icing down the breasts of whole chickens using the 500 degree/1 hour cook on the BGEs. Easy to do and the breast turns out to be perfect and exceptionally juicy just when the dark meat is done.

Give it a try.

I tried this yesterday for a department lunch at work today. Everyone raved about how juicy and tender the breast meat was. I will always do this from now on.:-D

It also makes them perkier.

Yup, it works great. It's part of the Mad Max turkey which is excellent. The key is 20 minutes, no more, no less.

prep-7.jpg

As for the particulairs, here's the whole shooting match:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

The result:

Finished5hrs.jpg

However, I do brine my birds but I must it's the best way I have found to do a turkey on the smoker. It's also a family and guest favorite.

I've read about the ice technique for several years but never tried it..

Question : Has anyone measured the temp differential of the breast to thigh/leg meat before and after icing ? I'm just wondering if a starting point differential of 5-10 degrees (assumption) really is noticeable after a few minutes into 300-400 deg oven and the chill is gone.

Also - from looking at the pic above, the ice really only sits on few select spots and not on the largest section of breast meat. If there is an advantage, would it be better off to ice down breast side down so the meatier section gets the coldest ?

I've read about the ice technique for several years but never tried it..

Question : Has anyone measured the temp differential of the breast to thigh/leg meat before and after icing ? I'm just wondering if a starting point differential of 5-10 degrees (assumption) really is noticeable after a few minutes into 300-400 deg oven and the chill is gone.

Also - from looking at the pic above, the ice really only sits on few select spots and not on the largest section of breast meat. If there is an advantage, would it be better off to ice down breast side down so the meatier section gets the coldest ?

Actually, yes & yes...... If you set the turkey breast down in a pan of crushed ice for 45 minutes to an hour, it will chill about 6 to 8 degrees lower than the dark meat. You can also shove a bag of ice inside the cavity so it will cool from both sides.

Back