The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 11-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jeff_in_KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-05
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default November BOD Meeting - Other Issues of Interest

There was some suggestion that KCBS look into doing a live Internet broadcast of the banquet when the announcement of the BOD election and the ToY results were announced, similar to what was done at The Jack. The Chairman of the Technology Committee stated that he objected to that because it might keep members from paying to attend live. WHAT??? Seriously???

On another interesting note, apparently someone DID request the so-called nepotism issue be discussed again. It was not publicly revealed who had requested it as we obviously were not given copies of the notes that Board members had. But Mike Lake brought the topic up and stated that the Board had voted it down three times in the past and that the Board will not entertain any questions on the issue tonight.
__________________
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Plowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-09-06
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I was told that the goal of the nepotism discussion was to get it on the election ballot to have the members vote on it.
__________________
Pork Pullin Plowboys (and Smoke on Wheels)
Save a hog, ride a plowboy!
www.plowboysbbq.com

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jeff_in_KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-05
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

If it meant we will have heard the last of this issue, bring it on.
__________________
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

 
drbbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-26-04
Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Hey Jeff,
What happened with this item from the agenda?


Discussion of breach of confidentiality of executive session by member of the Board
__________________
Ray Lampe
Dr. BBQ
The Honey Badger of BBQ. I just don't give a sh!t.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jeff_in_KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-05
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Hey Jeff,
What happened with this item from the agenda?


Discussion of breach of confidentiality of executive session by member of the Board
Ray, they moved that into the executive session. I don't know what happened on it.
__________________
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

 
drbbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-26-04
Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Thanks Jeff. Executive Session seems to be a good tool for them as we pay more attention.
__________________
Ray Lampe
Dr. BBQ
The Honey Badger of BBQ. I just don't give a sh!t.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Redheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-03-09
Location: Burris Crossroads, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Having served on several small non profit boards, you might want to suggest this be read by the board and the membership alike:
http://www.boardsource.org/Spotlight.asp?ID=116.373

or this one

http://www.boardsource.org/dl.asp?document_id=555
__________________
"Red"

Last edited by Redheart; 11-12-2009 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: corrected fat-fingered link
Redheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

 
drbbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-26-04
Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

That looks like a great resource.
__________________
Ray Lampe
Dr. BBQ
The Honey Badger of BBQ. I just don't give a sh!t.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Redheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-03-09
Location: Burris Crossroads, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I think the breach of fiduciary from a board member is a valid reason to have an executive session, but these tips can help with overall transparency issues and prevent the board from declaring executive session because the topic is heated or because they feel they have heard enough, so to speak. I think all votes should be open except when dealing with disciplinary action of board members, executive reviews or obviously sensitive legal or financial issues. But I do believe that the minutes of those meeting should be revealed to the members without names of the those making comments or the recording of the vote, just the voting results. One board I was on played it like the Supreme Court. When a sensitive vote was taken, the decision was revealed through a report, but a dissenting report was also created. This prevented the tedious nature of minutes and allowed for the logic of both sides of the issue to present their logic on the issue. I thought that was pretty neat.
__________________
"Red"
Redheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jeff_in_KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-05
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheart View Post
Having served on several small non profit boards, you might want to suggest this be read by the board and the membership alike:
http://www.boardsource.org/Spotlight.asp?ID=116.373

or this one

http://www.boardsource.org/dl.asp?document_id=555
That is a great looking site, Redheart! Thanks!
__________________
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Merl
Full Fledged Farker
 
Merl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-13-06
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheart View Post
I think the breach of fiduciary from a board member is a valid reason to have an executive session, but these tips can help with overall transparency issues and prevent the board from declaring executive session because the topic is heated or because they feel they have heard enough, so to speak. I think all votes should be open except when dealing with disciplinary action of board members, executive reviews or obviously sensitive legal or financial issues. But I do believe that the minutes of those meeting should be revealed to the members without names of the those making comments or the recording of the vote, just the voting results. One board I was on played it like the Supreme Court. When a sensitive vote was taken, the decision was revealed through a report, but a dissenting report was also created. This prevented the tedious nature of minutes and allowed for the logic of both sides of the issue to present their logic on the issue. I thought that was pretty neat.
Issues can be discussed in executive session. ALL motions and votes must be taken publicly and published in mimutes. KCBS follows that procedure. There are no secret motions or votes which are not recorded. (at lease while I have served as Secretary.)
Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
Paola Greg
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 11-14-05
Location: Paola, KS
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
There was some suggestion that KCBS look into doing a live Internet broadcast of the banquet when the announcement of the BOD election and the ToY results were announced, similar to what was done at The Jack. The Chairman of the Technology Committee stated that he objected to that because it might keep members from paying to attend live. WHAT??? Seriously???
Live broadcasts? Wow, I would suggest the Technology Dept of the KCBS instead continue to work on the improved contest scoring system with integrated team points reporting and ranking system that has been promised to be in place for the last couple of years, but not yet provided to us. Jeff, a friend of mine and of many members, member Paul Ostrom comes to mind to contact if you get elected, if you agree with me that we need someone capable to help in the technology department.........
__________________
Greg
Ribs 4 U
Paola Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Plowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-09-06
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Cause watching TOY live I like watching the JACK awards except much less thrilling. I know I am going to Phiily to watch the TOY awards and Election results. It is what I live for.
__________________
Pork Pullin Plowboys (and Smoke on Wheels)
Save a hog, ride a plowboy!
www.plowboysbbq.com

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #14
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jeff_in_KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-05
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

No, an Internet broadcast is not urgent but is it something a majority of those who could not attend would support? I bet so. I know I'D watch it if I wasn't going to Philadelphia. And it's nowhere near the big project or cost that scoring software would be. Why not do both? Greg, it's obvious Paul knows something about this and would be an excellent resource. Plus Paul is a hell of a good guy!
__________________
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #15
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Redheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-03-09
Location: Burris Crossroads, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
Issues can be discussed in executive session. ALL motions and votes must be taken publicly and published in mimutes. KCBS follows that procedure. There are no secret motions or votes which are not recorded. (at lease while I have served as Secretary.)
Merl
Merl, I did not mean to impugn you or any one on the KCBS board presently or in the past. I hope you did not take my comment in that manner.

Thank you for explaining the KCBS system, I really should have read the by-laws before I commented.
__________________
"Red"

Last edited by Redheart; 11-12-2009 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: corrected spelling of impune to impugn
Redheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
kcbs bod meeting mobow Competition BBQ 130 12-14-2011 11:51 PM
BOD Agenda for the November Meeting Divemaster For the Board 0 11-08-2010 10:43 AM
Agenda BOD meeting 4-14-10 Merl For the Board 4 04-16-2010 07:24 PM
** Bylaw change regarding Family members serving on BOD on November 12 KCBS BOD agenda. Merl For the Board 60 11-17-2008 03:12 PM
BOD meeting 3-12 Merl For the Board 4 03-10-2008 09:53 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts