Ribbs to son in Persian Gulf US Navy

B

BBQ'n The Burbs

Does anyone know if there is a way to send my "world famous" smoked baby backs to my son. He is on an aircraft carrier somewhere in the Persian gulf and asking for some home stuff. The wife is thinking under where, his brother is thinking video games. What the hell, BBQ is home!

Sounds like a good idea, but, would they survive the time it takes to get there?

Good thought but it's not going to happen going to an FPO address. I spent 8 months in the Middle East and mail took 2-3 weeks to get to us. That said, do some jerky, that would work!! Plus, when he gets it, it will keep.

Man, back in those days, if I had a smoker, the camel meat might have tasted better :wink:. We got one hot meal a week and that was it. I learned to skip it and stick to MRE's.

Good thought but it's not going to happen going to an FPO address. I spent 8 months in the Middle East and mail took 2-3 weeks to get to us. That said, do some jerky, that would work!! Plus, when he gets it, it will keep.

I agree with Abelman. Jerky is what I've been sending regularly to my son who has been in Korea for almost a year now. Every month I send him a 5lb batch of my assorted flavored smoked jerky sealed in a few quart-sized Foodsaver bags. He can't wait to receive his "care package" every month!!

Last thing I sent him took 8 days. was thinking vacuum packed and dry ice. Love the jerky idea. Not my forte, just like over smoked pork I guess.

When I was in Desert Storm, no one ever tried to send me meat, but my Mom sent cookies on a regular basis. They always made it in good time and good shape.

One package I reaslly appreciated was when she and a couple of neighbors got together and baked enough cookies to give everyone in the platoon (anout 30 of us) a couple of dozen each. She and I were heroes for a week.....

Can't help ya but I will say tell the kid of yours thankyou so much for there sacrifice. I know from experience (daughter in the Air Force) how hard it is to be away from a child. Also want to send a prayer to those in Texas after what happened out there. Very sad. I think about our kids serving everyday. As we all should be doing. Heros all of them at home or where ever they are. Wish we could hug them all for what there doing.

A special thanks to all the sons and daughters overseas and there families!! THANK YOU!!

Being retired military, have a different option, I did this for my group in Desert Storm.

Send him the ingredients and then have him get with the cooks on board. They have a good supply of meat, just not good stuff.

Maybe some recipes, a bunch of rub, even some sauce. Let the navy pay for the pork. Ship in plastic, not glass.

Smokin'
(Lt Col, USAF, Retired)

BBQ'n, a nice thought for you sailor but probably plan B. He will appreciate anything from home because it have love and pride written all over it.
Skidder, nicely said brother.

If the meat were frozen, packed with dry ice and well insulated it should be ok. My concern is pork not being allowed due too local religion. I would check with that first, you may want to do brisket of beef ribs instead.
Dave

You will have problems with dry ice in the mail especiallyif sent by air. it is considered a hazardous substance.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input and so will he. Gona go with cookies and jerky. If I could only send him a beer he would be in heaven. Not an expert at jerky. What cut of meat and what temp?

Back