ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 11-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
ScottGomes
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Anything but class

Question for all you Competition Pit Masters out there, what do you think of the (anything but ) class at comps do you like to compete in them is there any thing you would change or add, I am new to this forum would like to know what you think for future events. Thanks
ScottGomes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
BBQ Groupies
Found some matches.

Haven't seen any yet

Unread 11-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
ScottGomes
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have seen it at a few events in California, its like the name says, anything but BBQ can be turned in, seafood,desserts, soup, anything but BBQ, it is usually about a $30.00 entry
ScottGomes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

ive been to contests that have em.. unless its on a different day from the main contest, we usually skip em. We have enuf work to do.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
BBQ Groupies
Found some matches.

Didn't know you meant category. Thought you meant A class. I see alot of teams turn in steak or lobster but I usually go with something out of the box. A couple of comps back my wife did a black bean stoup( thicker than soup, thinner than stew) she adapted from a RR recipe. Took first place. I am told alot of times they use some of the organizers for judging so they aren't as critical.

Unread 11-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
MilitantSquatter

also you need to consider the expenses vs. payout.

if payout ia low, it's hard to justify the entry fee along with cost of the food... as often the winners go all-out with pricey cuts of beef or seafood etc. or someone turns in a killer dessert (homemade or storebought) those become hard to compete with if you turn in a sausage, pork chop etc.

Unread 11-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
Is It Ready Yet?
On the road to being a farker

We like doing them. We won Lakeland last year beating Jamie Oliver with a simple but classic Chicken Saltimboca. One of the teams we compete with won this category with an asian style tuna (which was fantastic). Its a nice change of pace. Not sure what I would do different.

"Give me fire...I will give you food".

Medium Spicewine
26.75 Weber Kettle
22.5 Weber Kettle
Is It Ready Yet? BBQ Team
Is It Ready Yet? is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
G$
is One Chatty Farker

They are very popular out here.

We have trouble enough with the four meats. Last thing our team needs is yet another distract - hey a shiny thing!! Look!
G$ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

We did one this year at the contest we run in Omaha. We have them do anything but the 4 main and we do a sausage category as well so no sausage either.
It is difficult, in my opinion, to have desserts turned in along side savories (meats ,beans, side dishes or veggies) and have the savories have a fighting chance.
On the prize side, I have always looked at the extra categories as a way to "flex" your culinary muscles. I can see where Phil is coming from about being busy enough with the main categories, but we have the cooker fired up anyway and it keeps out of the hooch for a bit longer :)
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:17 AM   #10
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Out here in AZ, the Anything Butt Category is always on the Friday night before a comp. It really doesnt affect how poorly we will be cooking the following day.

That being said, I think a class might be beneficial to the newer teams. Most of the teams with at least a few contests under their belt seem to understand the need to think outside the box for the AB category.....especially with presentation.

Also, the AB turn in here in AZ excludes desserts.

Unread 11-08-2009, 07:12 AM   #11
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

the only thing we've ever done except the standard kcbs categories was a burger turn in at williepaloooza, and the meat was provided by one of the sponsors. Burgers are fun and easy, and it's a level playing field.
Anything butt category isnt too cool imho...too many variables.

Unread 11-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N View Post
We did one this year at the contest we run in Omaha. We have them do anything but the 4 main and we do a sausage category as well so no sausage either.
It is difficult, in my opinion, to have desserts turned in along side savories (meats ,beans, side dishes or veggies) and have the savories have a fighting chance.
On the prize side, I have always looked at the extra categories as a way to "flex" your culinary muscles. I can see where Phil is coming from about being busy enough with the main categories, but we have the cooker fired up anyway and it keeps out of the hooch for a bit longer :)
I know a guy that cooked that contest by himself, placed in the top 10 and still got 3rd in the dessert... er... Anything Butt category. It is all about time management and having a plan before you start.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I know a guy that cooked that contest by himself, placed in the top 10 and still got 3rd in the dessert... er... Anything Butt category. It is all about time management and having a plan before you start.
I'm one of those guys. You have to have a plan. At Emporia this year I had three calls and 5th overall, then took first in steak and 7th in anything but. I agree that desserts do well.

I'm now cooking with someone, so it's even easier. Last week we took 2nd and yesterday we took third in dessert.

The dessert had nothing to do with us only getting one call yesterday. Last week it was the same dessert, and we walked 3 times.
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

We love doing these categories. You just have to have a plan. We had a great year for Ab's and Dessert 2- 180's very cool plus its gas money $$

Check out my new show BBQ Crawl !
Travel Channel (US) Cottage Life & Travel & Escape (Canada)

Life is too short for bad BBQ®
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #15
beam boys bbq
is one Smokin' Farker

we love this cat- the only thing that i wish KCBS would make clear if we have to use the 9-9 turn tray or open turn in platter

we can't fit our turn in for open in the 9-9

last year there were contest that would never tell you that you had to use the 9-9 till you were up there doing the turn in

it sucks standing at the table shuffing it in an 9-9 and trying to make it fit

york
beam boys bbq is offline   Reply With Quote