The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
a55bag
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default La Caja China

I have been looking for the dimensions for this bad boy all over the interwebings and have come up with nothing. My dads a carpenter by hobby and I have quite a few metal worker friends with welders so I figure for the price of a pig I can get one made as long as I get the dimensions Im hoping you guys might know of a website or even the dimensions.
a55bag is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

I have a bunch of pictures from an event we went to. You might be able to figure it out from them. PM me if you want em'.

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

we have one, pretty sure it is 2 feet by 4 feet inside, maybe slightly wider, but definitely not longer. And ill be honest, we'd love if it was really 3 by 5 inside. 75lb dressed pig only fits if you cut the feet off.

Unread 11-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
a55bag
Knows what a fatty is.

what kind of plywood is it made out of?
a55bag is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

nothin special, prob 3/8. each piece of wood is basically wrapped in stainless, well the 4 sides and the bottom. Than the top is just a piece of (gasp) pretty sure galvanized, but i could be wrong

Unread 11-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
BobBrisket

Having a CC, I can tell you that it's not worth the money to buy. I got mine from my dad. He bought it years ago, and lost interest in it. He gave it me, and I have never used it.

BUT, I want to mod it so it works like another box cooker I saw somewhere. It's the exact same thing. With one big difference. The model I saw, allows you to cook like a UDS. It has the same steel lined walls, but it has no bottom. On the bottom it has two long coal trays that are suspended on two rods that run the width of the box. The coals are under the meat. The metal trays that are on the CC, are replaced with another piece of metal wrapped plywood that makes for a removeable lid. So, you access and load the meat from the top and you load coal from the bottom. I've looked everywhere for the pic but I cant find it.

HOT DAMN.......I FINALLY found the link. I would rather build a cooker like this one. I plan to mod my caja china to work like this one.

http://www.asadorcubano.com/testimonials.html
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!

Last edited by BobBrisket; 11-03-2009 at 03:41 PM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
voodooblu
Knows what a fatty is.

Home > La Caja China Grills >

La Caja China #2 Model: LCC-G101

Our Price: $349.99

Availability: Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Business Days
Product Code: LCC-G101

like this??

Description Technical Specs

Length: 48" Width: 24" Height: 24" Inside Depth: 12 3/4". Boxes are made of BC Plywood, lined with Marine Aluminum Gauge .032.
voodooblu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
voodooblu
Knows what a fatty is.

just go to there site go to products
click on the grill you want to copy
and click on it
then tech specs

http://www.lacajachina.com/category_s/1.htm
voodooblu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

It's not galvanised.. it's stainless..

You have to add galvanized MSG to the pig during the cook.

Unread 11-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
Workingmann
Found some matches.

If you go to: http://www.lacajachina.com/Articles.asp?ID=164 look under Customer Service, you will see assembly instructions. Further looking through the site (I did not) you may find actual dimensions. Good luck!
P.S. Google La Caja China and there will be several sites that one may have exactly what you are looking for.
Workingmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Having a CC, I can tell you that it's not worth the money to buy. I got mine from my dad. He bought it years ago, and lost interest in it. He gave it me, and I have never used it.

BUT, I want to mod it so it works like another box cooker I saw somewhere. It's the exact same thing. With one big difference. The model I saw, allows you to cook like a UDS. It has the same steel lined walls, but it has no bottom. On the bottom it has two long coal trays that are suspended on two rods that run the width of the box. The coals are under the meat. The metal trays that are on the CC, are replaced with another piece of metal wrapped plywood that makes for a removeable lid. So, you access and load the meat from the top and you load coal from the bottom. I've looked everywhere for the pic but I cant find it.

HOT DAMN.......I FINALLY found the link. I would rather build a cooker like this one. I plan to mod my caja china to work like this one.

http://www.asadorcubano.com/testimonials.html

That design looks interesting, and you can add wood for smoke, which is the drawback of the LCC without a smoke generator.

Take a look at some of the Cajun Microwave designs.
http://www.cajunmicrowaves.com/

http://www.squidoo.com/Cajun-Microwave

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/gettin...microwave.html
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
Chuckwagonbbqco
Take a breath!

a55bag-----there is a place in Chico that has a couple of small ones for sale. I would try to talk you out of it. PM me and we can discuss a pid cooker for you.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
That design looks interesting, and you can add wood for smoke, which is the drawback of the LCC without a smoke generator.

Take a look at some of the Cajun Microwave designs.
http://www.cajunmicrowaves.com/

http://www.squidoo.com/Cajun-Microwave

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/gettin...microwave.html
My thoughts exactly. That's why it makes for a much more interesting design. The fact that you can add wood and forego the smoke pistol is a nice bonus. I need to look closely at my CC and see if I can remove the bottom and then turn it into a lid. Putting in those cross rods is easy with some long threaded rods. Then I could use some tin snips and turn the coal grate and the metal top pan into the coal racks that go on the bottom. Do I even make any sense?
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote