喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #61
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

well how is the barrel coming along?? I have one sitting at the tankroom and I have been wanting to do this very thing.
sitnfat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #62
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

It's working great. I'm getting ready to fire it up in the next couple of hours to make our Christmas rib roast (fam got here yesterday). It's pretty cool smoking meat in a wood barrel, definitely not something you see everyday. It looks nice in the yard too.

But... there is always a but, it's not going to last forever. Even after my first cook I noticed the wood drying on the inside which will eventually lead to gaps in the staves. The fix for this is to fill with water but my barrel is way too big for that plus I don't think my vents will seal the water in anyways.

After todays cook I'm going to hammer down the metal bands to tighten it up, that should help and maybe get me a few more hot cooks out of it. Once it starts to leak I decided to make it a cold smoker to smoke jalapenos, fish, and bell peppers. All it needs is a hot plate with a cast iron skillet and some wood.

Well thanks for checking in and asking. I'll post a pic of the roast on the barrel after we chow down tonight!

Unread 12-28-2009, 07:33 AM   #63
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

cool cant wait to see the pics
sitnfat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #64
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Yesterday before I put the roast on I noticed there was already some light showing from between the staves so I knocked down the bands and it tightened up real nice. Temps held steady at 250 the whole time, amazing.

Roast going on at 1pm:

Temps steady at 250:

Done:

Unread 12-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #65
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Alright, well that got me thinkerin' and I decided to build one real quick. Didn't take long, you can see it's still kinda rough but it looks like it should work! =)

Waddaya think?? Purdy nifty huh?
That's Awesome!!

Unread 12-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #66
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogus Chezz Hawg View Post
That's Awesome!!
I'm uhh, taking preorders for them if you're interested. Yeah, umm, they're like super cool & stuff? All the kool kids are getting them cuz they're so rad or whatever.
Selling them for $50 a pop or 2 for $75... shipping's about $1500.00 each though so you should prolly buy 2 of em'

We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-29-2009, 12:51 AM   #67
country bear
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco Realm View Post
I would have a fully charged fire extinguisher in reach. If that fails i'm sure Oakland fire dept. would snuff the fire out.
Yeah, I agree. Anything over 180-200 degrees and you risk combustion I believe. Make yourself a nice unique cold smoker and do some lox and cheese.

Unread 12-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #68
country bear
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
Yesterday before I put the roast on I noticed there was already some light showing from between the staves so I knocked down the bands and it tightened up real nice. Temps held steady at 250 the whole time, amazing.

Roast going on at 1pm:

Temps steady at 250:

Done:
Nice job! Looks like a beaut!

Unread 12-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #69
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Combustion for oak is well over 500 degrees so as long as I keep in smoking temp ranges I'll be okay. I've set it up so stray coals don't fall on the wood bottom and ignite plus I have a fire extinguisher within reaching distance.

I also wanted to post the link to my first cook just in case this thread pops up some years down the road. I'm trying to keep everything as organized as possible in case someone tries to make a barrel smoker someday.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=74645

Thanks everybody!

Unread 07-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #70
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

<Reviving an old(ish) thread>

CLEAR!!

So, here it is seven months later. How is the barrel smoker holding up? There were a bunch of concerns about the staves drying out and shrinking and a bunch of folks who felt it was a fire-trap waiting to happen.

What's the story? Inquiring minds want to know!!
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #71
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

Good call bringing this one back... But did you really have to give it full on mouth to mouth??!!
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #72
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

That wine barrel smoker was awesome! I say WAS with sadness though. I gave it one last final cook about a month ago and laid her to rest once and for all. It held up fairly well although it did get a little bit of gaps between the staves but it never seemed to affect temps. It was just too dang big to move around and reach inside to clean (it went up to my chest standing), and I knew eventually the staves would get wider gaps. Plus it was too big to fill with water every time I cooked (130+ gallons) so I enjoyed it while I could and had a blast making it. The 1" staves insulated amazingly well and once I got the fire control figured out (catching temps on the way up) it used very little fuel for all night cooks.

After this experiment I would suggest to anybody thinking of making one to

1. Do it with a regular sized barrel with the option to add a water bowl. Water will help keep the inside moist to prevent the wood from drying out.

2. Use threaded vents like on the standard UDS with caps. That way when filled with water between every few cooks the water will hold. I had slider type vents so even if I did fill with water it would leak out.

3. Do not screw the metal bands to the staves. That way as the wood dries you can knock down the bands to tighten up the staves. If they're screwed on you can't tighten.

Other than that it was a great cooker and if I can get my hands on a regular sized one I might give it another shot. Thanks for checking in fellas. If you ever have any other questions let me know.

Unread 07-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #73
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Good call bringing this one back... But did you really have to give it full on mouth to mouth??!!
It's not like I used tongue or anything... well...ok.. just a little tongue but there's nothing wrong with that...

Unread 07-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #74
smokestacks bbq
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

i smoke with my wine barrel all the time. it's held up really well so far. after a few cooks i'll fill it back up with water too keep the staves tight and from drying out.
smokestacks bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2010, 01:46 AM   #75
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokestacks bbq View Post
i smoke with my wine barrel all the time. it's held up really well so far. after a few cooks i'll fill it back up with water too keep the staves tight and from drying out.
How long have you had it?