Wine Barrel Smoker

JiveTurkey

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Check it out, scored a big ol' wine barrel from a local winery in Napa. 84 gallons. Gonna turn it into a UDS if I can figure out a way to keep the barrel itself from catching on fire. I have some ideas of my own but wanted to post here and see what some of you allz might do given the chance.

So pretend with me, I just backed this up in your driveway for you... now what....

Edit: Add: Dimensions are 43" tall, 30-1/2" diameter at ends and 37-1/2" at center. The ends are recessed about 2"

DSC02292.jpg

It's french oak. No way cut it up! I have stacks of oak in the yard for smoking but no barrels for UDS. This is a unique one.

send it to me i will trade you a perfectly good steel drum. I will dispose of that poor wine barrell properly.

I'd turn it into a chair. Maybe an end table with shelf underneath.

Maybe you could tile the interior and use it for a UDS. Maybe some type of cement coating inside only. Just use a couple of fire bricks to keep the ash pan off the bottom.

From what I've read oak does not ignite until well past 500F so I should be okay as long as I keep embers off of the bottom. As mentioned maybe bricks or pizza pan to protect the wood.

I would have a fully charged fire extinguisher in reach. If that fails i'm sure Oakland fire dept. would snuff the fire out.

Maybe you could tile the interior and use it for a UDS. Maybe some type of cement coating inside only. Just use a couple of fire bricks to keep the ash pan off the bottom.

I agree. Use some kind of refractory mortar or something. I imagine that overtime the wood would burn. A temp spike or a stray flame and it would be gone. A couple of coats of mortar (like a fireplace mortar) would insulate the wood and reflect the heat back inside the barrel.

I like your thinking! But like others, I think a WBDS is prolly out of the question... and coating the inside would kind of defeat the purpose... hot concrete is gonna stink. Warm smoky wine however...

But...
Lay it on it's side, Cut an access hole in one end shaped like a "D", put hinges on the flat edge to make a door (leave enough material around the access hole so that the end remains tight in the bands)
Attach a side fire box to one end with some sort of insulation barrier between them or a short piece of ducting, put a heat shield baffle in the lower 1/4 of it to redirect the smoke/heat, use the bung hole for a grease drip hole and call up swamprb to send you a few staves of his barrel so that you can make a mini chimney (even if you have to use pipe inside and just use the staves to give it the finishing touch).
Lastly call this guy to have him make a Rib-O-Lator that will fit it. With a hole drilled in the fire box end you should be able to attach a rotisserie bracket for the motor and pass the other end of the rod thru a small hole in the door

Now the problem you will have is keeping the wood from drying out and allowing the staves to loosen, you might be able to use a heat gun and some parafin wax to melt wax into the outside to give it a sealant that isn't going to affect flavor. Heck, the wax will probably darken up that color a bit and give you a nice polished shine too!

If all else fails and the thing just isn't going to come together, you can always use it for smoke (unless you wax it, then your Q will prolly end up tasting like Tony Roma's or some crap, but hey! What else is all that sauce for??)

Hmm, now I need to find a barrel... my wife is gonna kill me.

Now smoke if you got em'!

Ha Ha, thats pretty funny. But honestly that looks like a good idea. Someone needs to try it out and see what happens-an oak barrel smoker trial run.

Back