ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Unread 11-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #61
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermike72 View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, and mods please take appropriate action if deemed necessary. I have added a forum to the GLBBQA's forum for all of the 2010 KCBS Candidates to come and post their platform and answer any questions that the GLBBQA members (most are KCBS members as well) may have. If you are a candidate please surf on over and register and post away. I would also encourage you to post on The Brethren as well. The more people you can reach the better. Good Luck to all of the candidates. Hijack over...
Post this on Bassos also :)
Do you have a special KCBS Election Discount on Rubs Package?
Nice meeting you at the Jack

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #62
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

I hope at sometime the candidates share what they plan to DO.
This "No Report" silliness has to end

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #63
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

As I see it, all these BBQ boards - and there are a ton - are like little corners of an elementary school playground. They are essentially on-line cliques (and this is the best clique by far!!!). It makes perfect sense to me that someone running for the BOD would stay clear of these individual cliques and concentrate on communicating through a more national organ like the Bullsheet. Certainly some candidates will use these boards as their "base" and others will make their statements on the boards out of pressure - but if a candidate chooses to bypass each of these boards then maybe that's appropriate.

In addition, those running for the BOD who actually have lives and no time to lurk and post every five seconds on the Brethren should not be excluded from consideration because they don't play on the same playground.
Unread 11-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #64
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

There was talk about budgets earlier in this thread, so, if anyone is interested in perusing KCBS' 990 form filed with the IRS each year, you can do so at http://www2.guidestar.org/

Copies of 2008, 2007 and 2006 are available.

Interstingly the organization ran at a $75K Deficit for 2008.

You can also look up any other not-for-profit there.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #65
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
Post this on Bassos also :)
Do you have a special KCBS Election Discount on Rubs Package?
Nice meeting you at the Jack
Yeah, that isnt going to happen...
I think that is a great idea on the rub package.

It was nice meeting you as well at the Jack.
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Ranch Kettle,Weber Performerl
Certified Moink Baller
President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #66
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
As I see it, all these BBQ boards - and there are a ton - are like little corners of an elementary school playground. They are essentially on-line cliques (and this is the best clique by far!!!). It makes perfect sense to me that someone running for the BOD would stay clear of these individual cliques and concentrate on communicating through a more national organ like the Bullsheet. Certainly some candidates will use these boards as their "base" and others will make their statements on the boards out of pressure - but if a candidate chooses to bypass each of these boards then maybe that's appropriate.
Or it could make sense that the candidates can address issues that effect the regional "cliques" who also happen to be members...
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Ranch Kettle,Weber Performerl
Certified Moink Baller
President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #67
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Thanks for chiming in. Can I cook with Jack McDavid?
Not sure you would want to :) But anytime you are up this way stop by.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #68
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
Todd,
We did cook the Sprint center, cooked with Ribs a Rockin in Stagecoach CA for a two KCBS contest and IBCA and one in Harrisonville with Big Creek. This was actually our first year we didn't cook much. It was a first and missed it a lot!

I can verify that Bunny was at Stagecoach... I got meself a hug!!!

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #69
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermike72 View Post
Or it could make sense that the candidates can address issues that effect the regional "cliques" who also happen to be members...
Absolutely, however the suggestion was being made that by not posting on this board particular members/candidates we being less than fully engaged with constituents. I think that is unreasonable. If a BOD member is lurking but not posting, so what? Perhaps it shows that that particular member is keeping up on the issues important to members - even if they choose not to respond.

However, all this is quite beside the point and I'm sorry if I am diverting the thread from the real issue: who's running and why.
Unread 11-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #70
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

I will admit that I am checking this thread religiously to see who I will be voting for. I am not familiar with many of the candidates and as such am trying to learn more about their stance. Since I have the opportunity to vote four times I would like to cast those four votes. As it stands I am only using 2. I think there are definitely candidates that deserve the other two and will continue to try and learn more about them.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #71
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post

In addition, those running for the BOD who actually have lives and no time to lurk and post every five seconds on the Brethren should not be excluded from consideration because they don't play on the same playground.
That's probably the most accurate and honest assessment of how BBQ Forums operate I've ever read, though I might disagree with your opinion on the value of one venue over another.

I'm thrilled that we have some excellent candidates to choose from this time around, including at least a couple that can't be intimidated. Things were looking pretty grim this year, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #72
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Here's the questions given to me and how I responded.--Bunny

1. Please describe the skills you possess (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS board of Directors and its membership.
I am a past KCBS Board member and served as secretary. I understand what is involved for the Board position. I’ve also worked as a KCBS staff member as Editor-in-Chief of the KC Bullsheet 8 years which taught me respect towards office personnel. I am an active Master Judge, Certified Barbeque Instructor and a KCBS Contest Rep. And as my first love, and why I got involved in KCBS in the first place is because I am an active cooker on KCass BBQ Team, along with my husband Rich, established since 1987. I know the rules, understand the activity in each area and respect all of those involved.

2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning, one of areas in whichyou are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.
First off, respect needs to come back to the BOD meetings. Whether I am a cook, judge, or rep, there is no excuse for disrespect when working out concerns for KCBS cookers, judges, reps or organizers. I have learned much patience over the years in my field working with the public for 37 years. The respect will start with me.

I am also very concerned that we need to be training more reps, which is now at a standstill. We’ve lost at least a half a dozen since training ceased. Contests have had a very healthy growth spurt and it takes time to teach each individual. We’ve got some great members out there who would love to participate in the KCBS rep program. I would invite them to the next rep meeting and get started.

As a cooker, I think we’ve had overkill on the rules. The Board needs to stop adding more rules and/or addendums during the middle of the season. It is not only frustrating to the reps but allows for more mistakes as a whole. Let’s use more common sense and allow our reps to do their job we’ve asked them to do.

3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.
I believe I’ve already answered my short term goals on question two. My long term goal would be to serve KCBS on the things that matter as best as I can with the time I have to serve. That means actually listening to the members, cookers, organizers and judges. This organization consists of people who have a great passion for barbecue and love to have fun. I’ve seen a lot of it and I’ve seen not enough of it. The mission of KCBS is to promote barbecue. So I will promote barbecue and have fun while doing so and bring out more of it in our members. And in order to do that, as I stated before, it will start with me.

4. If elected please explain “you level of commitment, time and energy” for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members.
I know how much time is involved. That’s why I thought long and hard before I said yes to my nomination. I’ve had two years to take a break from KCBS and realized I wish I still had some input on the Board to help solve some of the cooker’s complaints as well as the judges and organizers. I also know how much energy it takes to sit on the Board. I was the chairperson for the Contest Rep Committee for three years with a fantastic group of committee members who I’ve learned to love and respect. I don’t intend to lose that.

5. Please describe your previous participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.
You have already learned about my participation in KCBS since 1987 and what I am involved in still. But during that two year break, Rich and I joined up with the Kooker’s Kare run by Craig and Patty Kidwell, Boy’s of BBQ & Patty. Kookers Kare Inc is a group of charitable volunteers aiding those in need. They provide freshly cooked and non –perishable food to food pantries such as Harvesters Food Network. They are integral part of the KCBS.Rich and I find it a priceless organization and well worth the extra time spent. So I plan to continue to stay with Kooker’s Kare as well as my participation I already have in KCBS.

6. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board.
To help promote barbecue, represent the members and concerns and and passions of bbq while having fun. If anyone has a question, please feel free to email me anytime at kcassbbq@embarqmail.com or call 816/560-5308.

Tags
KCBS election