another leftover smoked turkey recipe: tortilla soup

Mark

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I can't decide what I like the most, smoked turkey or tortilla soup made from the leftovers. Tortilla soup recipes abound on the Internet. There are many variations from mild to wild and all very flexible. Read a bunch of recipes and then improvise in what ever floats your boat.

Here's how I do it:

Starting with the carcass rip it up and boil it down in water. Throw in some bay leaves before you start boiling the carcass.

A pressure cooker comes in handy for getting the most out of the bones and into the soup stock. Pressure cooking also speeds up the cooking process 3 to 4 times and conserves fuel. Pressure cookers will literally dissolve the small bones that are otherwise a hassle to pick out and don't swallow too well if you miss them.

After you’ve discarded all the bones, fat and skin from your stock pot or pressure cooker, add the rest of the chopped-up leftover turkey meat, vegetables and spices and let it simmer for at least an hour or two. Personally, I add homegrown "patty pan" squash because they hold together well. More traditional squash are wrinkly lime green “chayote” squash.

Other vegetables:
 Corn (fresh or fresh frozen)
 Onions
 Bell peppers
 lots of home-made salsa (which includes plenty of Bandera smoke dried hot peppers).
 Whatever (this ain’t rocket science either)

When the soup is ready, shred several plain (not fried) corn tortilla into strips in the bottom of a soup bowl first and then ladle the soup on top. Give it a liberal sprinkling of suitable grated hard cheese (such as cheddar) and you're’ good to go.

To tone down the heat if it’s too spicy, add a tablespoon of sour cream. Or just try it anyway as it combines well. Making tortilla soup is also a good way to use up of surplus tortilla chips that may be getting a little too stale for dips.

PS: this recipe also uploaded to recipe section under all things bird

Back