The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Suggested new optional prize category

I am interested in your thoughts and or feedback on a recent idea that popped out of the deep recesses of my pea brain. I was thinking about the cooks meeting at a contest when they ask the question how many teams are competing for the first time. It seems to me, there is always a fair number that raise their hands. What would you think about the inclusion of a new prize category, the top two first time teams overall?? This would not be mandatory, and only suggested to contest organizers. The prizes could be ribbons or medals, no money, in order to keep the cost down. Teams would only be eligible for the prize on their first foray into the world of competition BBQ cooking.

I think it would serve at least two purposes:

1) Recognize the efforts of a newly formed team starting out on the BBQ trail.

2) Stimulate interest in the team members in hearing their name called and walking to the stage.

There would have to be some guidelines setup as to what constitutes a new team, I don't think this would be a huge issue. I think that the addition work on the organizers and contest reps would be minimal compared to the long term benefits to the entire process.

Most teams that I have seen will go out of their way to help a new team. I think offing a small amount of recognition to those just starting out would go a long way in growing and promoting the sport overall.

thoughts?

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

I think that would be a great way to reward new cooks and keep them coming back.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
RubMeTender
Full Fledged Farker

The thought is nice, but this sounds alot like the way they are giving kids trophy's just for showing up to play. You need to buck up and work for it before you can get recognized. A pat on the back and a hope to see you next time is all it took for us to keep going.
RubMeTender is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I like it ... assuming more then one first time team is at a comp. At first glance, the only possible downside I see is a new team (or new team name) formed by experienced comp cooks ... that would kind of be a downer for the new teams that came in behind them. I see you addressed that thought too.

Or even if not a prize, recognition to the highest place first time team right before they announce the overall top 10 (if they are not part of the top 10). Or if they are part of the top 10, mention it's their first comp as well.

I'd envision something like a small simple gift basket of rubs or sauces and recognition during the awards.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

Last edited by KC_Bobby; 10-30-2009 at 01:01 PM..
KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I am gonna change my team name every contest to try and win an award. I think that is a great idea.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Who will be responsible to verify whether or not it is really a first time team or not? Are you going to exempt contest organizers, reps, and board members? Just along the lines of another thread...
Weber Genesis gasser
KCBS Master CBJ; KCBS 100+ Club
Certified Table Captain
MIM Certified Judge
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QN View Post
Who will be responsible to verify whether or not it is really a first time team or not? Are you going to exempt contest organizers, reps, and board members? Just along the lines of another thread...

Many contest applications already ask the question. I don't think it would be a major issue to verify. Certainly, some reliance on the honor system, much of the contest circumstances already involves individual trust.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
motoeric
Babbling Farker

If they are being given something along the lines of a ribbon, I think it's a great idea.

If someone is going to try to find a work around so that they win a ribbon, then they clearly have bigger problems than we can handle in a BBQ contest and they can just have it.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

we worked damn hard at our first comp, placed right in the middle of the pack. I was more than happy with just that, second comp took home 3rd place brisket...How about if you dont get it right the first time you just keep trying and improving, you'll get something if it was meant to be.

Too much hand holding and coddling imho

Unread 10-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I agree. I don't even like Backyard Divisions at contests.
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100
7. Backwoods Smoker - Fatboy
8. Traeger Texas Grill (BBQ 075)
Double D's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

I disagree, i think that the backyard division gives teams a chance to get their feet wet in competition. I had never cooked a contest until the Hoosierdaddy in New Albany. i had done a few rib and chicken cook offs, but that was it. It ave me and idea on timing and other things for when i actually start doing the KCBS cooks next year. If anything i think it got me hooked even more.