The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Big B
Got Wood.

Default "To inject or not to inject"

Okay, maybe this is treading upon dangerous ground of giving secrets away, but any info would be appreciated. I've injected both chicken and pork before, but I have never injected my brisket and wanting to experiment a little. For those of you who do inject briskets, do you inject both fat side and meat side or just one side only. And does it make that much of a difference?

Old 10-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

FAB - makes everything better. With the grain!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

We inject and use Butcher's. It would seem to me that if you do what OC suggested, inject with the grain, it should matter what side you do it on, it will pentrate through the meat while marinating.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

I've "burned" meat injecting with the grain. Maybe overload maybe too much acid but never seem to do it when going across the grain.

As for fat or meat side I use the side of the flat to inject. I don't normally penetrate the meat on top or bottom side. My injector normally penetrates far enough on the sides to suffice.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
RubMeTender
Full Fledged Farker

If you do decide to inject your brisket shield your eyes! Somehow that injection finds it's way through the grains and can get everywhere. I've injected the bottom of one side, and it comes out the top on the other side.
RubMeTender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
Big B
Got Wood.

When you say with the grain, do you mean your just injecting straight down on the meat side, or do you go in on an angle trying to follow the grain so as to keep the marinade in the meat.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I go on an angle, I am not saying what I do is right, but it works for us.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

Instructions on the Butcher website...superior product as well...

http://www.butcherbbq.com/
[URL="http://www.dodgecountysmokers.com"][SIZE=1][B][I]www.dodgecountysmokers.com[/I][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]Custom Built Cooker / [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Weber Kettle /[/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]old New Braunfels offset in the backyard[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
Bones
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubMeTender View Post
If you do decide to inject your brisket shield your eyes! Somehow that injection finds it's way through the grains and can get everywhere. I've injected the bottom of one side, and it comes out the top on the other side.
Wrap the brisket in plastic wrap and it will help keep it from flying all over the place. It will find its way out through the holes in the plastic.
I inject into the side of the meat. I use a 4" long needle and get halfway across the meat. Hope this helps.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
Big B
Got Wood.

Thanks everyone, this helps a bunch!

Old 10-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #11
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Big B I have done it several ways, the only reason for trying different styles in injecting would be for saturation of you product with the injection. With this in mind I have done it several ways and have found that if you go thru the grains and pull the needle out slowly while injecting you won't gain a pocket but it will go thru the layers of meat fibers. I have done it several ways and then cut the meat exactly where i injected to see what happened inside the muscle and this was the best dispersing that I found.
Also inject from the side that will be on top when cooking so it can't leach out. Some products on the market don't have the proper ingredients in it to help this from happening, ours does and so does FAB.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #12
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Interesting tip on the leaching out David. Thank you.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Interesting tip on the leaching out David. Thank you.
Dude I ment to black that out to where only the original thread starter could read that.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Inject thru the cryovac, Holds it all in there.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2009, 01:57 AM   #15
dgassaway
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Inject thru the cryovac, Holds it all in there.

What Sled said.

Much easier. Bring it home, inject broth in the top side thru the cryovac and in the fridge overnight. Next day cut the cryovac, dry the brisket and apply rub. That the way I've done the last few and they have all turned out well.
1 Weber 22.5 with Rib-O-Lator & [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Navy][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermopen[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]
____________[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=2][COLOR=midnightblue][FONT=Verdana]

PNWBA Board Member | CBJ #200356[/FONT]
Smokin' HOT Grillfriends | Wellseasoned & The CanadaQ Crew BBQ Team
Event Organizer: Big Red Barn Burner | Cloverdale Cowboy Cook-off | BBQ on the By Pass[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
dgassaway is offline   Reply With Quote