The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
chainsmoker78
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default BBQ Contest Conflict of Interest?

I've happened to notice that teams entering into competitions can also hold officer positions within the organizations that sanction and organize the BBQ comps.

Does anyone see this as a conflict of interest when cash prizes are present?
chainsmoker78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

No it is not

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nope.
Bbq Bubba is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
Jeff_in_KC

No. The Board has no influence on how individual contests are scored. The purpose of the Board is to make decisions that show vision and support the future of the organization, not to be involved in minutia or day to day events such as what goes on at a contest.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

big DITTO.

You need to have some BBQ folks on the boards putting on these things to make sure things are done right.

..and I can't see NOT participating in a local event.. especially if I've worked had to help put it together.

Unread 10-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
chainsmoker78
Found some matches.

Would your opinion's change if that team wins the majority of the events?

Unread 10-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsmoker78 View Post
Would your opinion's change if that team wins the majority of the events?
A recently departed BOD was just that and nobody seemed to have a problem with it
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

If you believe in the system and it is truly blind judging, I don't care if the president of the US competes

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Like asking if the officer of a corporation, say Coca Cola as an example, has a
conflict of interest if he were to drink Coke regularly...

No, no conflict whatsoever. Conflict would be if the BBQ Cook were to be judging
the same competition that he's entered. THAT would be a conflict.

My opinion would be exactly the same if they won 80% of the competitions in
the entire United States.

For that matter, if not represented by team(s), who would be on the board? For
what it's worth, other non-BBQ sanctioning bodies, CASI for example, are made up
100% of competition cooks....

Unread 10-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
chainsmoker78
Found some matches.

If it's not blind judging, is it a conflict? What is stopping judges from talking to a board member before a contest? People may not view that as a conflict, but if that board member is a contestant it seems like a problem.

Blind judging is very loosely defined. The turn-in boxes have teams names on them when the volunteers take it from you. Teams also have a signature presentation that works for them. That reason alone can make the presentation easily identifiable to a certain team.

Unread 10-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
If it's not blind judging, is it a conflict? What is stopping judges from talking to a board member before a contest? People may not view that as a conflict, but if that board member is a contestant it seems like a problem.

Blind judging is very loosely defined. The turn-in boxes have teams names on them when the volunteers take it from you. Teams also have a signature presentation that works for them. That reason alone can make the presentation easily identifiable to a certain team.
We have a cattle call to introduce yourself here.
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #12
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Quote:

If never seen a turn-in box with a team name on it.. just a number.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
chainsmoker78
Found some matches.

I was visiting a comp. a few weeks back here in FL and I noticed the team's boxes had a label that not only included the team name but a number as well. I am thinking about putting together a team, but I question some of the rules. After all, from what I can tell, it can cost a pretty penny to enter some of the cash prize comps.

Unread 10-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Judges fraternizing with contestants on turn in day is a big no-no. In fact I know of situations where judges have been asked to leave due to excessive time spent on a competators site. Now if the judge passes a site and keeps their distance yet says hello and the normal greetings that is fine.

Blind judging is far from loosely defined. The KCBS reps do a great job of assuring no one gets an unfair advantage. Teams are assigned turn in boxes with numbers not names and these numbers are covered with a new number before they go to the judges.

Each team has a way they like to build their box that is true but also realize how many are copied as well. I know of a few chicken boxes that are exactly the same in presentation. Do I know who's hit the table? No. If the box is so clearly defined then it will be DQ'ed for marking.

Is there a possibility that a judge will find themselves on a table with food from a friend of theirs......Yes it is possible. Is it possible that they will then be able to identify it? Yes that is possible too. Is it possible that the judge will then compromise their integrity and judge up on the submission. Yes that is possible too. But the probability of all those things coming together on any given saturday or sunday and improbable. All that is running through my mind is "...on the fourth of July, in a hailstorm, with one black eye and one baby zebra." Its a stretch to even consider let alone think its grounds for a change in protocol.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
Bbq Bubba

I believe you were at a non sanctioned backyard comp?
Bbq Bubba is online now   Reply With Quote