The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-15-2003, 04:14 PM   #16
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Lot's of good observations vis-a-vis brisket. However, don't overthink it :D

Most of us on this forum overbuild any project, over engineer any design, and overthink any topic!!

Find a technique that gives you the product you like and stick with it. It takes too many hours to make good brisket to keep farking around with technique :D

Speaking of which: I have a 6# in the cooler as we speak. Don't know if it'll get eaten this evening since CincHouse isn't back from Orlando, yet. It may well turn into tomorrow's Sunday lunch!!

Have fun - brisket ain't rocket science, but then you can't eat a farking rocket!! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2003, 06:00 PM   #17
Mike(Mi)
On the road to being a farker

Its the thrill of the search, not what you actually find. If it tastes good too, ...well, then you got yourself something.

Unread 11-15-2003, 06:08 PM   #18
chad

Quote:
Its the thrill of the search, not what you actually find. If it tastes good too, ...well, then you got yourself something.
When I sailed regularly I felt that way -- sailing is not just going somewhere, it's the journey itself.

'Que, on the other hand, is life!! If my que ain't good I don't give a rat's ass what else I find on the way :D

It better taste good because I've got lot's better things to do for 6-12 hours than turn out haf-assed food My mistakes go in the trash not on the table. :D

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker

Unread 11-15-2003, 06:09 PM   #19
ckkphoto

Downloads:
Uploads:

Of all the ways to make a good cup of coffee, shear accident is as good as any.

Unread 11-15-2003, 06:11 PM   #20
chad

With all this metaphysical stuff: how much have you had to drink today?? :D :D

Unread 11-15-2003, 06:15 PM   #21
Mike(Mi)

It is a serious commitment of time and effort, and you do really want to be proud of the results. But I think that if you enjoy the journey, or the sail, the destination, that far harbor, is that much sweeter when you get there.

Unread 11-15-2003, 06:39 PM   #22
chad

You've been sucking on the Wabo Cabo haven't ya!! :D

Yes, the journey is important -- that's why I didn't race when sailing. However, I have run a professional kitchen -- food I don't mess with. I do experiment but I have a darn good reason to change a technique before I try it -- ie. out of one spice I'll try another.

You must understand that I'm a foodie, too. It's gotta be good or I'm one UNHAPPY camper. I can stand marginal food at someone elses house or "adequate" 'QUE when eating out. But, I can't stand anything less than my best effort at home!! Sometimes it does come out like an experiment or a metaphysical mess but I start looking for where I farked up and don't do it again.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant! I understand where you're coming from but I don't treat my 'queing as an exercise to stretch my boundaries. Que is too damned important to be left to amateurs!! (I didn't say that, I DIDN'T say that ) :D

Unread 11-15-2003, 08:08 PM   #23
Mike(Mi)

"You've been sucking on the Wabo Cabo haven't ya!!"

Damn, busted again!!

"Que is too damned important to be left to amateurs!!" (yes, you said it)

Now we're all busted.

Unread 11-16-2003, 09:29 AM   #24
parrothead

Quote:
You must understand that I'm a foodie, too. It's gotta be good or I'm one UNHAPPY camper. I can stand marginal food at someone elses house or "adequate" 'QUE when eating out. But, I can't stand anything less than my best effort at home!!
I second that emotion!

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2003, 09:32 AM   #25
bamasmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey! Where are y'all going?? :? Can I come along? I love journeys and ****!

Butt...It's not just for breakfast anymore!
bamasmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2003, 12:12 PM   #26
rusold

This may heresy but I try to tame the greasy/dry issue by precooking the brisket in the oven in a airtight foil wrap (as close to airtight as I can get).
You need a good brisket and a good rub so the fat from the fat gives out it flavor. This also seems to "open" the brisket to the smoke. I haven't had any complaints.
rusold is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2003, 02:45 PM   #27
chad

Quote:
precooking the brisket in the oven in a airtight foil wrap (as close to airtight as I can get
I understand what you're saying but it smacks of "boiling the ribs" syndrome. :D

Do what you gotta do to get good brisket. We just finished a small one off at lunch today. I cooked it yesterday while doing chores around the house -- I use foil during the last couple of hours and don'g apologize for it -- lets me get up to 200 without drying it out (I'm doing flats).