MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2003, 02:02 PM   #1
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Deep frying a turkey

I and my friends have always deep fried our birds at 375. I just bought a book with tons of deep frying recipes and it calls for 350 for just about everything. What temp do you guys deep fry at?

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2003, 02:10 PM   #2
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

But I bring it up to around 380-390 before setting in the bird.

She'll bring it down to around 330 before it climbs back up.

I ferget the formula. is it 3.5 minutes a pound for whole birds and 7 minutes a pound for just the breast only birds?

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2003, 02:16 PM   #3
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

I always had the hardest time remembering the right temp until I saw someone use 365. Hmmmmm....365 degrees...365 days in the year. Silly, but that's how I remember it and that's what I use for turkey, fish, or whatever else I fry up. 350 sounds a little low. You'll know it if you're cooking too low though, the meat gets all greasy and nasty.

Keeping along the same lines of the thread, our Bass Pro Shop down here is selling Cottonseed Oil at a pretty good price ($14 for 35# vs. $18 for 35#). They say it's for cooking but I've never heard of it. Anybody used this stuff before? I'm all about saving money but not sure if I want to use this to experiment on a half dozen turkeys to save a few bucks.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2003, 02:57 PM   #4
ricky
Got Wood.

I use that cottonseed oil sometimes.......it browns up darker to me....only difference I can tell.....I get it @ the Bass Pro in Atlanta when we go up also.
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2003, 03:01 PM   #5
parrothead

yep 3.5 minutes per lb for whole bird and 7 min per lb for just breast. Not sure why that is and have not deep fried just a tit.

American Picker Blog

Old 11-12-2003, 03:28 PM   #6
Bill-Chicago

I'm gonna throw 4 tits (2 whole tits) in the basket and see what happens.

Thanks.

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle

Old 11-12-2003, 06:56 PM   #7
rusold
On the road to being a farker

I go with taking it to somewhere around 400 before putting it in and 375 after it comes back. This sometimes leads to exciting flameups however. To make it really good you need to inject (cajun stuff it's in the supermarket here - you yankees may have to make your own) or stufing little slivers of onions jalepenos garlic etc and rub something under the skin.
rusold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2003, 08:16 PM   #8
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

Fry? FRY? Heck, the way that my smokers cook turkey makes a fryer unnecessary and an oily hassle. However I watched a show called Top Gear while I was in the UK last year and found out that you can burn the old oil in your diesel powered car.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2003, 09:05 PM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i fried once. Did it on the walkway on the side of the hose cause i didnt want to spill oil on my deck. Bad move. the side of the house got a thin coating of oil on it that i didnt notice, unitil it started attracting dust and dirt and anything else that will stick to it. whole side of the house had crap on it.. never do that again.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2003, 09:38 PM   #10
Bill-Chicago

Just cuz your an idiot doesn;t mean you shouldnt fry. Duh, dont' fry near the house.

there is nothing like a fried bird. there is nothing like a smoked bird. I am so farking pissed, I am starting my own thread now.

The death of "willkat98"

Old 11-13-2003, 07:36 AM   #11
parrothead

Quote:
there is nothing like a fried bird.
We have this couple here that tried a fried bird last year and they both said it was bad. The female of the 2 even used the word gross to describe it. There is no accounting for taste.

American Picker Blog

Old 11-13-2003, 07:42 AM   #12
chad

Quote:
We have this couple here that tried a fried bird last year and they both said it was bad. The female of the 2 even used the word gross to describe it. There is no accounting for taste.
So you got PMS'd! :D

I fry around 350 3-3.5 minutes per lb. for a whole bird and check the internal temp before I pull it. Let it rest a few minutes (the temp will keep rising for about 5 minutes). I then debone the thing and slice cross sections of the boobs.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2003, 07:49 AM   #13
parrothead

It may be awhile before I do another, but I think I will try for a target temp of 350 next time. Might just make the oil last longer. While we are at it, how many uses do you guys get out of oil. I have one of those battery operated filter/pumps. They work great. I have reused 2 or 3 times for a bird, but have always ended up with a fish fry or something, and that usually kills the oil. I think I could get several more fries from just doing birds.

American Picker Blog

Old 11-13-2003, 08:07 AM   #14
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

I only do fried turkey once a year on Thanksgiving Day so I don't save my oil. Don't wanna take a chance on using old oil and things tasting like crap. I've had my eyes open for the right kinda turkeys for a few weeks now. I don't think you can go bigger than a 12 lb bird to fit in the fryer. Around here, they put the 18-20# birds on sale but not the smaller ones. Just gotta keep watchin'.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2003, 08:37 AM   #15
chad

If you filter the oil (the battery pumps work OK - cheese cloth would better but I don't use it either) and stay around 350 you could get 4-5 turkeys out of a batch of oil -- maybe more.

I usually rotate one bottle of oil (1.25 gallons) every go around. But, I got three fries out of the first batch. The older oil will give you a nicer brown on the skin but if it's too old it'll darken the bird before it's done.

I've been using canola because I'm too cheap to buy peanut oil :D

Quote:
I don't think you can go bigger than a 12 lb bird to fit in the fryer.
It depends on the size of your pot but generally 12-13 pounds is a big as you should go. I think the rule is you only want the oil to come up 2/3 the depth of your pot with the bird in it -- otherwise you could get boil over (not pretty -- don't ask, I know this!!).

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote