MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
smokehouserules
Found some matches.

Default putting greens

I am going to try garnishing with using putting greens for the first time. I have a couple of questions...How many bunches of parsley do you need to do 4 boxes of putting greens? Do you cut multiple leaf bunches per sprig or is it more like one little bunch per sprig? How much stem do you leave on? Do you lay anything under the parsley to raise it at all?
smokehouserules is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

some use a bed of chopped greens underneath the parsley bed and some don't.

Figure 2-3 bunches of parsley per box.. Depends on how selective you are on color, freshness of the greens etc.. Better to have extra as it's cheap enough. Remember most of the middle will likely be covered with meat so don't use your best parsely under what will be covered.

Try to group them in bunches (think multiple groups of broccoli crowns).. dont try to manually place each stem in as it will take forever and get you to the same place.. just group in small batches, pack it tightly, level it out and them fill in or correct and glaring problems.

Stem length depends on what you put underneath and what meat it is and how you position.. Figure enough heigt to get up about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way to the top of the box for a single layer entry.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Looks like someones getting ready for sayville!!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Psyco Realm
On the road to being a farker

at the asian dig I went to they used bok choy under the house ribs.
Psyco Realm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post

Figure 2-3 bunches of parsley per box.. Depends on how selective you are on color, freshness of the greens etc.. Better to have extra as it's cheap enough. Remember most of the middle will likely be covered with meat so don't use your best parsely under what will be covered.

Try to group them in bunches (think multiple groups of broccoli crowns).. dont try to manually place each stem in as it will take forever and get you to the same place.. just group in small batches, pack it tightly, level it out and them fill in or correct and glaring problems.

Stem length depends on what you put underneath and what meat it is and how you position.. Figure enough heigt to get up about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way to the top of the box for a single layer entry.
Pfffft and you would know this how?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

what he said

only thing I wanted to add, nice thing about parsley is if meat is hitting the top of the box, no problem, just push it down and try again
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Pfffft and you would know this how?

Yeah.. you're right, what do I know ? I've been officially retired since Oct. '07 @ Dover...but unofficially I've cooked or helped at about ten contests since. When you retire after the Jack you can do the same.. Do you need a formal invite ?

Smokehouse - Make sure you get the boxes done well enough in advance.. Either late evening or early AM and put them in a cooler or fridge if you have one with a moist paper towel over it until ready to fill the box.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #8
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Yeah.. you're right, what do I know ? I've been officially retired since Oct. '07 @ Dover...but unofficially I've cooked or helped at about ten contests since. When you retire after the Jack you can do the same.. Do you need a formal invite ?

Smokehouse - Make sure you get the boxes done well enough in advance.. Either late evening or early AM and put them in a cooler or fridge if you have one with a moist paper towel over it until ready to fill the box.
I dont recall you "unofficially" making any boxes since your retirement No formal invite needed.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #9
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

4 bunches per box. Sometimes it only take 2-3 but why be short for a couple of dollars. 2 heads of green leaf although I usually tear up just part of one.

How high depends on the type of box. Some have equal height top and bottoms and others have most depth on the bottom. My best guess is 1 - 1 1/2 inches. Now as to tearing them together well they usually come in clumps of 3 and one is a lot longer so I tear it off then tear off the other 2 with a little more of the main stem so they are the same lengeth.

I'm picky on the look and some bunches have big leaves while others are tighter smaller leaves. I put the crappy big stuff in the middle and keep the edges built with good stuff.

Boxes should be fairly tight so once you get a row you can push it over and add at least one or two more bunches in. Outside should be a little tighter than the inside.

Hope all this makes sense.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #10
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehouserules View Post
I am going to try garnishing with using putting greens for the first time. I have a couple of questions...How many bunches of parsley do you need to do 4 boxes of putting greens? Do you cut multiple leaf bunches per sprig or is it more like one little bunch per sprig? How much stem do you leave on? Do you lay anything under the parsley to raise it at all?
come see me...I'll get you started. I always try to to them saturday night if you'd like to do them with me...
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

I love parsley!!!!!!!
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeBBQueen View Post
come see me...I'll get you started. I always try to to them saturday night if you'd like to do them with me...

thats a good idea
trust me
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

I've always done shredded lettuce underneath until recently. I took a head of iceburg and cut it into discs. I placed the disks in the bottom of the box and then shoved the stems into it. It really works well!
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 PM   #14
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yes it does....

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote