ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Its Quiet In Here. What's Going On?

Boy you'd think there was some big contest going on this weekend that everyone is at.

For those of us not going to the Jack this week, or for those that are that have access to this forum, does anyone have any good stories about this bbq season they would like to share? They can be funny, heartfelt, happy, sad, whatever.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
Jambo -- The Orange Monster
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

I got one. Upper Marlboro, MD. They had a nice field, but graduation parking tore it up. So....they decided to steam roll it and seal the surface. Worked out great until it rained about midnight. Water couldn't get into the ground and pooled.

Thanks go out to Smokin Gnome for the shovel to build the drainage ditch and to WATG for the broom (sorry it broke ) to sweep the water into. Also, honorable mention to the VA BBQ pirates for allowing their water to refill our area whenever it looked like we were going to dry out.

It was a good time!

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, FAB, Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team) and BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ
Special thanks to Snake River Farms for the their support as well.
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

A fun one was at Mason City. The MC calling the winners was doing a big dog and pony show up on stage. You could tell he was really enjoying himself and was actually doing a great job.

When it came time to call the overall winners he began at third place. Upon hearing several audience members shout "Top 10". He said okay. Then he got so caught up in trying to be entertaining about it he ended up calling the Grand Champion as 10th place overall. The rep ran over and told him what happened and the look on his face was priceless. He then began with the correct tenth place team, and ended with the Grand Champion, which everyone already knew. Hilarious!
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group

Last edited by musicmanryann; 10-21-2009 at 01:44 PM..

Unread 10-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann View Post
Boy you'd think there was some big contest going on this weekend that everyone is at.

For those of us not going to the Jack this week, or for those that are that have access to this forum, does anyone have any good stories about this bbq season they would like to share? They can be funny, heartfelt, happy, sad, whatever.
Early this year I contacted Plowboy to see if he'd need some help at Qlossal since they do a lot of catering for the Pork Expo. It's a contest I've heard a lot about and wanted to check out. We worked our butts off but it was a lot of fun for me, getting to spend some time with Todd, Randy, and Randy's family that were there! Flying in and out of Kansas City some other friends took some time out of their schedule and the time I got to spend with them really added to my trip. Thanks to Rod, and the Groneman clan.

Todd and Steph winning the Egg Scramble was really cool, especially under the circumstances. They thought outside the box and came up with a fantastic entry!

Sitting at the back and on the floor was awesome for me because I was off my feet! Getting the calls we did was awesome. Seeing the Grumpy Old Farts get a call was fantastic. I shoulda known the Boondoggle Boys had bigger things coming

Being there to see you guys get your first is a highlight I'll remember for a long time! I think it's fair to say that you were surprised I'd had a great week already, but seeing how much you enjoyed your first made it better!

Something else happened that weekend, when I called to check on some results that made it even more special! I'll leave that to somebody else to explain.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Early this year I contacted Plowboy to see if he'd need some help at Qlossal since they do a lot of catering for the Pork Expo. It's a contest I've heard a lot about and wanted to check out. We worked our butts off but it was a lot of fun for me, getting to spend some time with Todd, Randy, and Randy's family that were there! Flying in and out of Kansas City some other friends took some time out of their schedule and the time I got to spend with them really added to my trip. Thanks to Rod, and the Groneman clan.

Todd and Steph winning the Egg Scramble was really cool, especially under the circumstances. They thought outside the box and came up with a fantastic entry!

Sitting at the back and on the floor was awesome for me because I was off my feet! Getting the calls we did was awesome. Seeing the Grumpy Old Farts get a call was fantastic. I shoulda known the Boondoggle Boys had bigger things coming

Being there to see you guys get your first is a highlight I'll remember for a long time! I think it's fair to say that you were surprised I'd had a great week already, but seeing how much you enjoyed your first made it better!

Something else happened that weekend, when I called to check on some results that made it even more special! I'll leave that to somebody else to explain.
You are the man. Thank you very much for that. It was definitely a weekend we will never forget.

I am interested to hear what happened next though. Plowboy?
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group

Unread 10-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Smokin' Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll play!

Another water related one, we were at a comp in Ottuwma Iowa in a very large parking lot and the bottow of a very large hill...our spot was right on top of the single storm drain for the entire lot. I awoke to pouring rain about 3:30 AM. I knew we had a water problem when I stepped out of the camper and water filled my shoe The water was about an inch from running in the firebox on my Fatboy...not much I could do other than laugh and go back to bed...

Memphis Pro
Backwoods Fatboy
Backwoods Party
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Smokin Joe-

Thats like a nightmare! Did it get in the vents?

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, FAB, Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team) and BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ
Special thanks to Snake River Farms for the their support as well.
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
Smokin' Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq View Post
Smokin Joe-

Thats like a nightmare! Did it get in the vents?
No it didn't, got really close as is actually was on the way down by the time I took this pic...the team across from me offered me a beer and we sat and watched the water crest

Memphis Pro
Backwoods Fatboy
Backwoods Party
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
NelsonC
On the road to being a farker

Those were fun times.... you still managed to pull out a GC despite all of that!

Quote:
I got one. Upper Marlboro, MD. They had a nice field, but graduation parking tore it up. So....they decided to steam roll it and seal the surface. Worked out great until it rained about midnight. Water couldn't get into the ground and pooled.

Thanks go out to Smokin Gnome for the shovel to build the drainage ditch and to WATG for the broom (sorry it broke ) to sweep the water into. Also, honorable mention to the VA BBQ pirates for allowing their water to refill our area whenever it looked like we were going to dry out.

It was a good time!
NelsonC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
Plowboy

After any contest, one of the first calls is to Andy. After Qlossal, I called to tell him of our RGC. His return to that was Smoke on Wheels first ever GC at Marysville, KS. The very next evening we are all back in Kansas City have Prime CAB dry aged ribeyes with our wives and Jorge before he returned to Tejas. Of course, Smoke on Wheels picked up the tab that night. Little did we know that the next weekend they would do it again in Boston, NY. That initial first GC for SOW in early June has turned into a KCBS leading six GC's for the year. It has been hard to keep up with the little bastage! The Royal was Plowboys' sixth of the year, so we are even... for now.

Another great memory for me of 2009 was winning Burlington, KS for the second year in a row and then to follow up the week later with GC in El Dorado, KS. The significance of Burlington was that I hadn't won a contest in the year since Andy and I took GC there a year ago. I hadn't qualified for the Royal Invitational yet. There were only three contests left and it looked like I'd be on the sidelines for the Royal Invitational. Burlington became my qualifier and the rest is history. Winning a contest back to back is amazing! We also placed in all six categories both years. This year, I was solo... and tired.

The best memory of the year, maybe bigger than the Royal Invitational, was the Plowboys Trifecta in mid July. As Plowboys, I won Butt to Butt in Shannon and Andy won Chest to Chest in the same day. The following day, cooking as Plowboys BBQ, Randy (Pigboy) took RGC at Warrensburg, MO. For all three of us to have individual success hundreds and hundreds of miles apart was simply special. They are my brothers and I couldn't have been more proud.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
Balls Casten
is one Smokin' Farker

My favorite quote of the year came from KCBobby.
He stoped by our spot on Friday at the Royal. And during a short chat I ask if they were cooking the Invitational? Bobby’s response “Naw, we're not that good.”

Unread 10-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

my story will not top these, but wanted to share.

My 2nd ever contest, at Pleasant Hill Mo, (which I got to meet a bunch of brethrens), totally forgot chicken, Shane and Vern came to check the meat and opps, no chicken, no prepping either intill I got my chicken. THEN found out, after I had my wife get chicken and gave it to me, NO GREENS, back to K.C for her

I was cooking by myself, Wife and then 5 year old son. Somebody (I know who it was) all the time, intill turn in times, playing music super loud over a amp,(starting to fry my nerves, repeat same crappy songs over and over)first kids Q I did, worried about everything I'm doing, and missing, when I was helping my son.

When everything was turned in, relaxed for a minute, had some beers with Jay, and later thank god Dave was near me, during awards time, had some more beers. Got my first call in ribs, and got hooked to comps after that.

Yoder 640
Yoder 1320
UDS (Snail barrel)
FEC-100 X2
Traeger 124 (older american made model)

KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
Plowboy

One of the most impactful events of 2009 was the death of my friend and pitmaster of Smoking Poobahs, Dwain Gleason. Dwain and I worked together and talked food/bbq daily. He passed away the Monday before Qlossal. His funeral was that Friday and I couldn't return for it with our catering commitments. It was a very terrible week and BBQ was a welcome and necessary distraction.

In September, his wife and team reunited after two years to cook the Blue Springs contest. It was a way to memorialize and honor Dwain who was by all accounts their Head Cook. Though we were vending, we successfully made several attempts to visit and check in throughout the weekend. I prayed that they get just one call, but their best finish was 11th in sausage. They were with us at awards and were as emotional as we were when Plowboys won GC at Blue Springs, our hometown. In a way, I think it was a bit of influence from Dwain honoring all of us, the people who loved him.

That was hard to write. I miss Dwain's daily presence. What a great guy lost way too early.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #14
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:

It was a good time!
At Upper Marlboro, MD

Brought the family to introduce them to the competition concept, check out the layout, and introduce them to other Brethren and make new friends.

Realized the comp was placed at the Equestrian Center. Depending how the wind blew... either you smelled BBQ or manure. Then the rain came thru the first night. My family was not impressed due to the existing elements provided by Mother Nature's scents.

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
widespread
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

It was a good time!
LMAO, I'll never forget being there at 2am, drinkin' a beer and watching you and Dan keep the drainage system flowing with the broken broom. And then being told we were too loud.
Good luck at the Jack!
KCBS CBJ #22109
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association

FEC100 Righthanded, FEC100 Lefthanded
Meadow Creek PR72 Pig cooker
wsm & Weber kettle
widespread is offline   Reply With Quote