The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Sledneck
Time Out

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Meet Boondoggle BBQ

http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2009/...s_the_comp.php

Meet Boondoggle BBQ: 2009 American Royal Grand Champion

By Jonathan Bender in News
Mon., Oct. 12 2009 @ 12:45PM
​They may have come from all over, but when the hickory smoke from 473 teams cleared at last weekend's American Royal Barbecue, it was a team based out of Lee's Summit that was named Grand Champion in the open division.

Boondoggle BBQ, brothers Bob and Don Denner, secured their first Grand Champion designation, and the accompanying trophy and $12,500 check, with strong showings in all four barbecue categories: chicken (7th), pork (49th), ribs (3rd), and brisket (56th).

"Other then having a great finish, the difference between this Royal and the past was that we really felt the bond with other teams throughout the country that we've competed against and become friends with," Bob Denner tells Fat City. "Even before the awards ceremony, we knew this would be a weekend we would both remember for years."

What started as a way for two brothers to keep in touch (Don lives in Ankeny, Iowa, where he works as a claims adjuster, while Bob works in marketing in Lee's Summit) has evolved into a powerhouse team on the barbecue circuit. The Denner brothers entered their first competition in 2007 at the Kansas Speedway, where they placed 36th out of 90 teams.

They would enter four more barbecue competitions that year, earning their first top 10 finish for brisket. In 2008, they entered six competitions and snagged 12 top 10 finishes -- but found that execution was preventing them from winning overall championships.

A barbecue class and some advice from fellow contestants helped to strengthen their entries in every category this year.

"It's amazing the help your competitors are happy to provide even though they are trying to beat you. That's what makes competition BBQ so enjoyable," Bob says.

Older brother Don, 42, takes the lead on the ribs and brisket, while Bob, 38, is head man on the chicken and pork. Bob took the time to walk Fat City through Boondoggle BBQ's preparation of their ribs, which were third overall at this year's American Royal:

The process begins with the selection of ribs that are appealing to the eye, straight bones rather than short curved bones. Don trims them to be uniform in shape and remove the membrane off the bone side, this helps with tenderness. I like to season them the night before cooking them so some of the rub will be absorbed into the meat. I start cooking them 5.5 hours before the judging time. I will baste them every 45 minutes and then apply a finishing glaze 30 minutes before they are done. The key to competitive cooking is having them done at just the right time, you want them as tender as possible but not falling off the bone for the judges. Appearance wise I want them to have a shiny deep red color.

For anyone who hopes to challenge the Denner brothers at next year's Royal, their advice is to get started now.

"Practice, practice, practice -- be patient and find some peers that are happy to help you through your struggles. Don't try to change too many things at one time, doing so will make it difficult to determine what change worked and what didn't," says Bob Denner.
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

What a great story! Congrats again guys! What is great, that I think the story points out, is that you did it together as brothers. That is something special.

I especially appreciate how they outlined your ribs technique. I took notes--need all the help I can get in that category.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
Jambo -- The Orange Monster
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

I'll have my people call your people, and one of these days we can do lunch :)

Nice article!

Unread 10-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Irrad8
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm pretty sure the secret is in the cowboy hat. ;)

Great job guys!
Traeger - Lil Tex, UDS -old school, Weber - 22" kettle
Brinkmann - 6 burner w rotis (for grillin'), 2 burner (for tailgatn')
KCBS member & CBJ
2006 FORD SUPERCREW 4x4..with racing stripes
2003 PLAYMOR 7' X 16' Hauler
Always a bottle of Gentleman Jack in the fridge
Am I in the "wood pile" ......again..
Irrad8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Very close to what we provided, but not quit. Of no fault to the writer, but I'd like to change a few things for those of you who know us. Without many of you, this wouldn't have happened. Serious thanks to Brethren from coast to coast ... and especially those of you who let us join you in a comp or directly answered Q's from Don or I.

They may have come from all over, but when the hickory smoke from 473 teams cleared at last weekend's American Royal Barbecue, it was a team based out of www.bbq-brethren.com that was named Grand Champion in the open division.

Boondoggle BBQ, brothers Bob and Don Denner, secured their first Grand Champion designation, and the accompanying trophy and $12,500 check, with strong showings in all four barbecue categories: chicken (7th), ribs (3rd), pork (49th), and brisket (56th).

"Other then having a great finish, the difference between this Royal and the past was that we really felt the bond with other teams throughout the country that we've competed against and have invited us into their BBQ family," Bob Denner tells Fat City. "Before the awards ceremony, we knew this would be a weekend we would both remember for years, the outcome of the awards only changed part of why we'd remember it."

What started as a way for two brothers to keep in touch (Don lives in Ankeny, Iowa, where he works as a claims adjuster, while Bob works in marketing in Lee's Summit) has evolved into a competitive team on the barbecue circuit. The Denner brothers entered their first competition in 2007 at the Kansas Speedway, where they placed 36th out of 90 teams.

They would enter four more barbecue competitions that year, where they earned only top 10 finish all year, a 10th place finish in brisket. In 2008, they entered six competitions and snagged 12 top 10 category finishes -- but found that lack of knowing how the fark to cook chicken was preventing them from being in the running for an overall championship.

A barbecue class and some advice from fellow contestants helped to strengthen their entries in every category this year. (We actually took the class prior to 2008 season. While that class really got us headed the right direction, the reason we were part of this article was due to our competitive friends advising us on chicken in LaPorte. Plus, I sponged all I could when other Brethren teams let me run their boxes.)

"It's amazing the help and information your competitors are happy to provide even though they are trying to beat you. That's what makes competition BBQ so much like enjoyable - everyone wants everyone to get better for each other, for the sport, for the fun," Bob says. When other teams get better, if makes you to get better too.

Older brother Don, 42, takes the lead on the ribs and brisket, while Bob, 38, is head man on the chicken and pork. Don took the time to walk Fat City through Boondoggle BBQ's preparation of their ribs, which were third overall at this year's American Royal:

The process begins with the selection of ribs that are appealing to the eye, straight bones rather than short curved bones. Don trims them to be uniform in shape and remove the membrane off the bone side, this helps with tenderness. I like to season them the night before cooking them so some of the rub will be absorbed into the meat. I start cooking them 5.5 hours before the judging time. I will baste them every 45 minutes and then apply a finishing glaze 30 minutes before they are done. The key to competitive cooking is having them done at just the right time, you want them as tender as possible but not falling off the bone for the judges. Appearance wise I want them to have a shiny deep red color.

For anyone who hopes to challenge the Denner brothers at next year's Royal, their advice is to get started now.

"Practice, practice, practice -- be patient and find some peers that are happy to help you through your struggles. Don't try to change too many things at one time, doing so will make it difficult to determine what change worked and what didn't," says Bob Denner.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats, great story
EXPERT IN CRACKERESE
Spicewine Smoker Sales Southeast 863-381-1530
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 06:08 AM   #7
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

awesome story! I would have loved it if they printed your version......especially to see "fark" in print
Cleveland, Ohio

Jambo (J-3) Black on Black-with Hot Rod Flames
FEC w/ IQ4
U2CANQUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

congrats, great story!!
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

great story, well done fellows!

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nice! Wish I had been able to stay for the awards but it was great to hang out a little.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #11
Sticks-n-chicks
Full Fledged Farker

Great story, great guys!

Congrats.

Warm Smoke, Blue Skies...Best of days | Yoder 640 | FEC-100 | ABS Qube | 3 UDC's | WSM | KCBS CBJ
Sticks-n-chicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

Good job Bobby/Don. Congrats on your AR Grand Championship.
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
Big Mike's BBQ
On the road to being a farker

What! No mention of the great Backwoods Competitor you used to win that title? LOL Great job guys, you deserve it.

Big Mike
Big Mike's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
leanza
Babbling Farker

Thanks for sharing that, enjoyed the background story.

Unread 10-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #15
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 3

Hat's off and congrats- See- "brothers"- that's the key.

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS - "BBQ To Die For"Under the "LENIENT" direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote