The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default Attention Judges

Hi,

How would you feel about being invited to help a team with pack-up after the judging? Maybe tip back a few, chat with the cook, get an idea of what happens on the teams side of the competition fence & lend a hand cleaning and packing up.

This is in furtherance of the commendable goal expressed in the thread about finding a way to have judges and teams come to a better understanding of what they do and are responsible for.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker

We don't have any problem helping. We've been doing it every chance we get for the past three years. I know there's one certain competitor on this forum that can attest to it.
So just ask us, we'll give anyone a hand that needs it.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

Hubby & I have done so & would definitely do it again-need any help, just ask! We want to get to know the teams, the main reason we judge is to be around others who love to cook.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

I wish you guys would be at comps I'm at... I get awful tired packing up all by myself.

I really like this idea.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

If both a team and judge are willing and linked up, it's a good idea..

but from an outsiders view I think it's pretty chitty to make cleaning up an opportunity.. Usually the teams are in a flurry of motion and socializing after the last turn in is probably not the first thing a cook wants to do..

again.. if you get willing participants on both sides, it could work but as a cook or a judge I'd probably pass.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post

but from an outsiders view I think it's pretty chitty to make cleaning up an opportunity.. Usually the teams are in a flurry of motion and socializing after the last turn in is probably not the first thing a cook wants to do..

again.. if you get willing participants on both sides, it could work but as a cook or a judge I'd probably pass.

We've only done what the teams wanted us to do, toted the gray water and ashes, helped take down the shelter, added muscle or direction when needed to get the pit into a trailer, etc. No way we'd try to horn in or get in the way of somebody's routine, but we're not there to eat and run.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:54 AM   #7
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatonHoggBBQ View Post
We don't have any problem helping. We've been doing it every chance we get for the past three years. I know there's one certain competitor on this forum that can attest to it.
So just ask us, we'll give anyone a hand that needs it.
Well I guess this is where I say thanks for the help. Note that John actually did cook one contest with me instead of judging as I was looking for a helper. As a resut of that we developed a friendship that continues today. We usually spend a little time talking of Friday then I don't see John or the family until after judging unless some of them are not judging. As I usually cook by myself an extra pair of hands is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post

Tunr-in at 1:30 and packing starts for me at 1:35. By awards I usually have the trailer ready to go. I do my socializing Friday night and Saturday morning before 11:00.

As you can see by my comments above it works but it works because both parties want it to work as you suggest. I agree if judges were just asked to help a team it might not work. And some teams have lots of people and don't need or want help as they often kick back and relax.

Note that I have gottent to know a number of judges in the upper midwest area that are regulars and I usually see them drop by after turn-in to talk for a bit. A number of them will pitch in with the heavy lifting if I'm at that point in packing. Otherwise we usually just talk and I really appreciate their comments,

Old 10-13-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

We have a system of breaking down, any other hands imo would just get in the way. If they want to come over and shoot the chit right after before we leave thats fine, but we are usually broken down and ready to go before awards, when competing only. I think interaction with the cooks and judges is good, but not when they can be in the way.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

I'm with Vinny and Matt on this one. Right after the last turn in we start to tear down and pack up. Its pretty orchestrated and somewhat hectic, I am not really in the mind set for visiting. Usually, if I get a visitor during this time, the stink-eyes shot at me by the other working team members is enough for me to cut the visit short and return to the business at hand. As I have a tendency to get involved in a conversation and forget what I am supposed to be doing. The stink-eyes are just a friendly reminder. However, Friday night or Saturday after packing and before awards, stop on by and we'll have a cold one! After awards, you'll likely only see our tail lights.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

Imho, after turn ins there is nothing more i want than to sit down with a beer, cigarette and my friends and shoot the chit for a little while, usually the past few hours werent the best of times. Than, we load up, wait for the awards. If a judge wanted to come over and have a beer and shoot the chit, maybe give us little pointers cuz we're still a little green...that'd be great, but id never expect or even think to ask one of them to help me clean up.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't think anyone is going to force you guys to accept any help loading. Or for that matter even interacting.....

The original post sort of makes that obvious.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Hi,

How would you feel about being invited to help a team with pack-up after the judging? Maybe tip back a few, chat with the cook, get an idea of what happens on the teams side of the competition fence & lend a hand cleaning and packing up.

This is in furtherance of the commendable goal expressed in the thread about finding a way to have judges and teams come to a better understanding of what they do and are responsible for.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric
I think if an open invitation was made in the judge's meeting... Something like....

"Some of you may not realize that the teams that produced this great BBQ you are about to judge, have been at it for well over 24 hours... If some of you would like, I'm sure that there are teams that would be more than thankful for any help in packing up they can get... I'm also sure that once done, they would like to hear your impressions of the food you are about to judge.

Now keep in mind that some teams are extremely organized and have this down to a science, but there are always first time teams and teams that may be short a person or two. The best way to find a team is to ask. If they need the help, they'll welcome you in. If they don't need help, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction."

A little for-warning should also be given at the cooks meeting...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

I'm with Matt, I respect the judges generous donation of their time and money to come judge a contest and would never ask them to help "Pack Up" or do any dirty work. I would however ebcourage them to attend any Potluck or Team Dinner the night before, which offers an enviroment that is much more relaxed and social. I also think that you need to cook at least one contest with a team to find out whats its all about.
[B][COLOR=#008000]Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars ![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red][I]2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ BrisketChampion[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#ff0000]_______________________________________[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black]Backwoods Fatboy (2) & a Chubby[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I]Jedmaster " BabyJed" Ring of Fire[/I][/B]
[B][I]OK Joe 84" Offset [/I][/B]
[B][I]Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer[/I][/B]
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmaker23 View Post
I'm with Matt, I respect the judges generous donation of their time and money to come judge a contest and would never ask them to help "Pack Up" or do any dirty work. I would however ebcourage them to attend any Potluck or Team Dinner the night before, which offers an enviroment that is much more relaxed and social. I also think that you need to cook at least one contest with a team to find out whats its all about.
I agree Would love to see the judges join us for the potluck

I also think that you need to cook at least one contest with a team to find out whats its all about...

I think this is the way it should be in order to judge...
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #15
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

Looks like we're all on the same page as far as judges helping clean up & break down after comps. Need help? We'll help. Need us to get out of the way? Can do!

I'm not sure how it would work to have every judge cook with a team in order to judge. When I did my cook to get my master CBJ certification (including entering my own side and sauce) it was lots of fun and lots of stress, especially when the alpha cook left me to watch the temps. Temps went down, I adjusted air flow, didn't help, what to do, what to do? Not my pit, not my meat, what if I screw everything up?

Well, I didn't screw everything up, but if I was a cook, and I didn't know the judge, I'd be a little leery about taking anyone on as anything other than as a pit b!cth.