The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #16
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

If you stabe the brisket in the flat in a few places with a probe and you get no or little resistance then it is done. If you are taking temps, they may vary because of fat. Fat will give false readings.

When you rest the brisket in foil for two or three hours, the brisket temp will rise a little.

Unread 10-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #17
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

From my experiences, the point is always done first, and the point has never been overcooked to the point of being dry. The flat can be dry if not cooked far enough, or if overcooked, or sometimes it is just dry because it's a mutha-farker point. When the flat is finally soft, that is when I consider it done. Not everyone has the same method.
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #18
Ninesixteen
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff H. View Post
If you stabe the brisket in the flat in a few places with a probe and you get no or little resistance then it is done.

I realize that. My question was what do you do when one spot has no resistance, then another spot has lots of resistance, then another spot has no resistance, then another spot has lots of resistance, and so on and so forth....

Sorry if this comes off as jerkish, i just reread it and it kinda does. That wasn't my intention at all.
Ninesixteen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #19
Ninesixteen
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
From my experiences, the point is always done first, and the point has never been overcooked to the point of being dry. The flat can be dry if not cooked far enough, or if overcooked, or sometimes it is just dry because it's a mutha-farker point. When the flat is finally soft, that is when I consider it done. Not everyone has the same method.
So what you are saying is that once it starts to get close to just keep checking it?
Ninesixteen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #20
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninesixteen View Post
So what you are saying is that once it starts to get close to just keep checking it?
I gauge how close it's getting done first by the point. Once it feels tender I know the flat is next, so I check about every half hour or so until the center of the flat is tender.
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #21
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome info in this thread.

Just finished my UDS Friday. Cooked pork all weekend. Buddy is bringing over a Brisket to check my skillz.

Any pointers for a Briskett newbie? I'm from Memphis and didnt know what a Briskett was until last week. Were a big Pork town.
Ive read thirdeyes recommendations and barbecuefunkromaque.
jetfxr27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #22
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninesixteen View Post
I realize that. My question was what do you do when one spot has no resistance, then another spot has lots of resistance, then another spot has no resistance, then another spot has lots of resistance, and so on and so forth....

Sorry if this comes off as jerkish, i just reread it and it kinda does. That wasn't my intention at all.
If that's happening then you may be hitting some fat deposits (as was mentioned earlier. However, I have found in comps that I simply must carve the meat and it turns out that the meat was fine - even though there were pockets of resistance. Go figure.

Unread 10-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #23
Jay Bird
is one Smokin' Farker

Chris, Its really helpful to know the science that lurks behind the art of cooking. Many thanks for the dissertation.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #24
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Sorry wrong post...
jetfxr27 is offline   Reply With Quote