The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
DMDon
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Comp Generators

We are looking to upgrade our generator. Does anybody use the Honda EM7000? What do you think of it? is it quiet? What others are you using? I think we would need 30 amp or 3000 watts continous, (to run a/c, refridge, and lights) and be quiet. I don't know much about electicity show what are some recomendations.
FEC-100
Country Smokers Whole Hog
Weber kettle 22.5 w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle 22.5
Weber Smokey Joe
KCBS CBJ #23234
DMDon is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
thenewguy
Full Fledged Farker

For ease of storage and saving my back, I use 2 honda 2000i's. Hook them parallel and it gives you 4000 watts and it's a heck of a lot easier to lug around than a 3000i.
If you want to be a big dog, get a 6000-you'll be able to run the campground-well almost.
During comps, I use just 1 2000i to run the A/C in the m/h, it does the job,but it's nice to have too much power.
thenewguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 05:22 AM   #3
widespread
Full Fledged Farker

I use 2 EU2000's also, with an extended run fuel tank. Runs everything in the trailer all weekend and very quiet.
KCBS CBJ #22109
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association

FEC100 Righthanded, FEC100 Lefthanded
Meadow Creek PR72 Pig cooker
wsm & Weber kettle
widespread is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
Balls Casten
is one Smokin' Farker

Geesh Don, you act like you've got some new BBQ money burning a hole in your pocket. :)

I'm waffeling on this as well, we have a 2000i. And wondering if we should go to the 3000, or another 2000 parallel.

Don you're welcome to borrow my 2000 and give it a try if your like.

Last edited by Balls Casten; 10-12-2009 at 09:22 AM..
Balls Casten is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

What are you going to be running off of the generator? I don't know if the Honda EM7000 has an inverter. If you are running any ind of electronics (PC, TV, Radio, future FEC ) you want a generator with an inverter. Also, do you need that much power? Honda has a power estimator that may help figure out your needs...

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...set=gg_wattage

As far as noise, the EM7000 is rated at 69db. For comparison the EU6500iS is rated at 52db and 1/4 load and 60dB at full load. I was next to Scottie this past weekend and he uses an EU6500iS and 90% of the time I couldn't even tell it was running. Once in a while it would kick up to high and then I could hear it. Even though another 9 dB doesn't sound like much, the dB scale is logarithmic, so 9dB is a big jump in sound level.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

To add more confusion... I like the idea of running two generators vs. one. Redundancy is a good thing sometimes. If you lose one you may have to make some decisions, but that's a lot better than being screwed if you lose THE one.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
As far as noise, the EM7000 is rated at 69db. For comparison the EU6500iS is rated at 52db and 1/4 load and 60dB at full load. I was next to Scottie this past weekend and he uses an EU6500iS and 90% of the time I couldn't even tell it was running. Once in a while it would kick up to high and then I could hear it. Even though another 9 dB doesn't sound like much, the dB scale is logarithmic, so 9dB is a big jump in sound level.

When it would kick to "high" (a real misnomer...) that was from me cranking up my microwave to re-heat my money muscle....

I own a Honda 3000 and the Honda 6500. This one that you are talking about Don, doesn't sound like it has the invertor and as Ron says, I would spend the extra money to cover your electronics...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Plowboy

I've been very happy with my Kipor 3000's at a fraction of the price of the Honda's. Been running successfully for 3+ years. They are safe for electronics, too. Ran one this past weekend and someone thought my truck was idling. Gotta love these uber quiet gensets.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Bbq Bubba

Great info, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I've been very happy with my Kipor 3000's at a fraction of the price of the Honda's. Been running successfully for 3+ years. They are safe for electronics, too. Ran one this past weekend and someone thought my truck was idling. Gotta love these uber quiet gensets.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Quote:

The only really thing bad I have heard about them is if something was to break and you needed service... I heard that it is not good....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
The only really thing bad I have heard about them is if something was to break and you needed service... I heard that it is not good....
That was true a couple of years ago. There are service centers and parts available in the US now. For $1000, it is worth the risk to me.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
When it would kick to "high" (a real misnomer...) that was from me cranking up my microwave to re-heat my money muscle....
Yeah... I wasn't sure what to call it. Full throttle? Either way, I could hear it but it didn't impair conversations, even 15 feet away.

Quote:
Quote:
That was true a couple of years ago. There are service centers and parts available in the US now. For $1000, it is worth the risk to me.
We were next to Todd at Shannon and his Kipor was also very quiet. I went with a Honda because i couldn't find anyone local who handled Kipor. if there was a local dealer I probably would have gone that way.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
DMDon
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

I own a Honda 3000 and the Honda 6500. This one that you are talking about Don, doesn't sound like it has the invertor and as Ron says, I would spend the extra money to cover your electronics...

Is that before or after you add the MSG.
FEC-100
Country Smokers Whole Hog
Weber kettle 22.5 w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle 22.5
Weber Smokey Joe
KCBS CBJ #23234
DMDon is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Good god Don!. What you running in that camper? A Welder?

I'd agree with the 2 2000i's. I've heard that is the way to go for more power. But what would I know, I don't have one either.
WSM
Whole Hog Smoker
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Don, I thought that was the inverter one that I sent to Bob. Seemed like a good price if it was. Doesnt sound like that is the case.

I have the Kipor 3000 and it works pretty nice. One thing that I did not like about it was at a contest I had 3 guys hooked up and at 5am it shut down from low oil. My fault for not checking it but it was only the second overnight use I had from it, so I wasnt expecting that. The oil area is burried in the engine and if you dont have a long thin funnel it is kind if hard to reach. I think the Honda is on the side.

But saying that, for no more use than it gets, The $500+ price savings was worth it to me.