The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-28-2003, 06:46 PM   #1
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Is it uncommon.......

for a Bandera to go through 20 lbs of briquettes and 10 lbs of lump plus
some wood for smokin' in 6 hours? I hit 250 once in this period of time, ran out of fuel and ended up finishing in the oven.
I made a temporary baffle out of foil, and cut the chamber down in half by wrapping foil over one of the cooking grates.
I have a new smoke chamber and firebox coming from New Braunfels as I think both are warped badly.
Ideas or comments?
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2003, 08:14 PM   #2
parrothead

Per our conversation in the chat room, With the temps you were getting, it does sound like you have way too many gaps. Especially eith the firebox lid.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2003, 09:07 PM   #3
Mike(Mi)
On the road to being a farker

Unless you're cooking in the Arctic. Just a point.

Old 10-28-2003, 09:17 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Geeezzz 30 lbs of fuel.. thats sounds more like 30 hours of cookin. I wasnt in on the conversation with greg, so airleaks aside, are you using the door thermometer?, which can be off by 50 degrees +or -. Also, do you have the firegrate installed and the baffle?? Which mods do you have installed, and as per our IM conversations, let me know if ya want me to pick up the gasket material for you.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2003, 09:54 PM   #5
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

wow, 30# with a heat shield.

Was it really windy? I have 20mph gusts and still maintained 240 on about 8-10 pounds of fuel well over 6 hours. I hear some bitch about the fire control, but I do better in the beast than I did in the WSM, although I gotta give that another shot.

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2003, 06:46 AM   #6
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

When I was using charcoal and wood combination throughout the burn period, I would go through 20-24 lbs of Kingsford in 11-13 hours. That seems on par with what ChiBill is saying. Now I'm using wood only except for the initial starter chimney.

Old 10-29-2003, 08:08 AM   #7
chathorne
Knows what a fatty is.

i use bout 10-15 lbsfor 8 hrs maybe longer but damn i think now that i got a basket that will be goin down some
i'll have to keep ya updated
chathorne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2003, 08:11 AM   #8
Solidkick

I had a probe stuck through half a potato on the same shelf as the butts.
I had a temporary baffle made from foil and was only using the smoke chamber just below the door mounted themometer by covering a cooking grate 3/4 of the way with foil. I was telling Greg that I have a 3/8 inch gap on the right side of the firebox with the lid closed, which I was shoving foil into. I also have to push down on the chamber door to get it to latch to the chamber. The cabinet acts like it is twisted. The manufacturer sent me (arrived last night) a new firebox and smoking chamber. I wanted to try replacement parts before I did any further mods. I read on one of the forums (all I do is read about smokin' anymore) that someone had replaced parts 3 times and never got any better results. I'm sure it has something to do with the parts being made in China and not a USA made smoker.

I had also told Greg that I had raised the height of the fire by making a charcoal basket from a grill wok and
2 1/2 in bolts. It worked like I wanted it to, ash fell right through the holes and into the ash pan. I also put the ash pan on some gas grill briquettes. so it isn't setting on the bottom of the firebox anymore.

I'm a little discouraged as I wanted to be able to put butts in and let them run for a couple of hours at least before having to tend to a fire. Maybe my expectations are too high and this beast wants all my attention.

BTW, I'm going to need a smoker cover, but our local Home Depot says it's a seasonal product and will no longer carry. Any ideas where I can get one online, or can I just cover with a tarp? Thanks all for you ideas and suggestions!! I really appreciate it! :)
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote