The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-22-2003, 07:30 AM   #1
stlmike
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Brisket Marinade

Guys, and Gals (are there still Gals on this forum?),
Last Saturday night upon stopping on my way home to pick up some Dr. Pepper for TK's DP marinade for three briskets in the fridge, found the store to be out of Dr. Pepper. Remembering a previous thread where I thought the concensus was that phosphoric acid was the active ingredient in tenderizing the brisket, I bought Coke (contains phosphoric acid) instead. Had the last two briskets last night after my lodge meeting. Based upon the raves I received over the briskets, Coke is a suitable sub for DP. I will continue to use Dr. Pepper, but will keep in mind that I can use Coke in a pinch. Anybody else ever try Coke?
StL Mike
stlmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-22-2003, 08:25 AM   #2
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Haven't tried coke but it's in the back of my mind as a fallback. Seems that we always have Coke at the house, not normally Dr. Pepper. A couple weeks ago at local Asian market, they had Dr. Pepper Fusion (cherry accent) for $0.79 a Six Pack! I bought a bunch, but my daughter has just about drank it all. What I have left will be used on the chuck roast experiement.

Unread 10-22-2003, 08:58 AM   #3
Oldtimer
is one Smokin' Farker

Is your daughter bouncing off the walls ?
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-22-2003, 09:08 AM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

yes, definately ok. Coke is the same as DP. I use them interchangeably. But No pepsi.. .... i remember checking last year and found it was no good... i think the pepsi product line is missing the Phosphuric acid.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-22-2003, 11:36 AM   #5
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brd1958
She bounces off the farking walls without it. Doesn't take much for a 16 yr old.

Unread 10-22-2003, 11:45 AM   #6
Oldtimer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommykendall
Quote:
Originally Posted by brd1958
She bounces off the farking walls without it. Doesn't take much for a 16 yr old.
I have one of them as well. Knows everthing in the world and I'm one big dumb$ss, but she don't have the kahuna's to mention the last part.

Unread 10-22-2003, 12:45 PM   #7
willkat98
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Cherry Coke is an even better substitute. I will put some in my sprayer (the Cherry Coke, not the marinade) and use it all during the Q.

"Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants..." - Maxwell

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2003, 05:25 PM   #8
colt45
Full Fledged Farker

I still have never marinaded a brisket... its just too damn easy to rub it with SF and throw it on the smoker... I guess I should try it sometime and make them side by side to see what is better... or if I can even tell a difference...

can you actually tell the difference between a marinated brisket and a non-marinated one if they are cooked at the same time with the same rub?
Currently without a Chapter
colt45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2003, 05:49 PM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

yup..... much juicer, more moist... somewhat more tender....... definately a difference.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2003, 06:20 PM   #10
Oldtimer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt45
I still have never marinaded a brisket... its just too damn easy to rub it with SF and throw it on the smoker... I guess I should try it sometime and make them side by side to see what is better... or if I can even tell a difference...

can you actually tell the difference between a marinated brisket and a non-marinated one if they are cooked at the same time with the same rub?
If room is a problem I have used the cryo-pak the Brisket comes in to marinade it. Seems like I remember some negative opinions of this but it didn't kill me. Hell my briskets still leave a lot to desire anyway. If this don't stir up some chatter I can always fall back on Bill's dictionary.

Unread 10-23-2003, 06:45 PM   #11
willkat98

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Chatter:
Definition: [n] noisy talk
[n] the high-pitched continuing noise made by animals (birds or monkeys)
[n] the rapid series of noises made by the parts of a machine
[v] speak (about unimportant matters) rapidly and incessantly
[v] make noise as if chattering away; "The magpies were chattering in the trees"
[v] chew the fat; shoot the breeze
[v] cut unevenly with a chattering tool
[v] click repeatedly or uncontrollably, as of teeth

Synonyms: blab, blabber, cackle, chaffer, chat, chattering, chitchat, clack, claver, click, confab, confabulate, gabble, gibber, gossip, jaw, maunder, natter, palaver, piffle, prate, prattle, tattle, tittle-tattle, twaddle, visit, yack, yak, yakety-yak

See Also: babble, blather, blether, blether, blither, chin music, converse, cut, discourse, go, idle talk, jawbone, mouth, noise, prate, prattle, schmoose, schmooze, shmoose, shmooze, smatter, sound, speak, talk, talk, talking, utter, verbalise, verbalize

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Definition: \Chat"ter\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. {Chattered}; p. pr. &
vb. n. {Chattering}.] [Of imitative origin. Cf. {Chat}, v. i.
{Chitter}.]
1. To utter sounds which somewhat resemble language, but are
inarticulate and indistinct.

The jaw makes answer, as the magpie chatters.
--Wordsworth.

2. To talk idly, carelessly, or with undue rapidity; to
jabber; to prate.

To tame a shrew, and charm her chattering tongue.
--Shak.

3. To make a noise by rapid collisions.

With chattering teeth, and bristling hair upright.
--Dryden.

\Chat"ter\, v. t.
To utter rapidly, idly, or indistinctly.

Begin his witless note apace to chatter. --Spenser.

\Chat"ter\, n.
1. Sounds like those of a magpie or monkey; idle talk; rapid,
thoughtless talk; jabber; prattle.

Your words are but idle and empty chatter.
--Longfellow.

2. Noise made by collision of the teeth, as in shivering.

Thesaurus Terms

Related Terms: accents, babble, babblement, bavardage, be cold, bibble-babble, blab, blabber, blah-blah, blather, blether, blethers, bob, bobble, bounce, brattle, bull, bump, cackle, call, caquet, caqueterie, carol, caw, chaffer, chat, chattering, cheep, chill, chirk, chirp, chirr, chirrup, chitchat, chitter, chitter-chatter, chuck, clack, clacket, clatter, clatter about, clitter, clitterclatter, cluck, clunter, cock-a-doodle-doo, comment, conversation, converse, coo, croak, cronk, crow, cuckoo, declaim, didder, discourse, dither, drag out, draw out, drum, elocution, extend, falter, fill out, freeze, freeze to death, gab, gabble, gaggle, gas, gibber, gibble-gabble, go on, gobble, gossip, grow cold, guff, guggle, gush, have a chill, have an ague, have goose pimples, haver, honk, hoo, hoot, horripilate, hot air, hustle, idle talk, jabber, jabbering, jactitate, jar, jaw, jog, joggle, jolt, jostle, jounce, jump, language, lose heat, mere talk, mouth, natter, never finish, nonsense talk, oral communication, pad, palaver, parole, patter, peep, perish with cold, perorate, pip, pipe, pour forth, prate, prating, prattle, prittle-prattle, protract, quack, quake, quaver, quiver, racket, ramble on, rapping, rattle, rattle around, rattle on, rattletybang, rattling, reel off, roll, ruckle, run on, run out, scold, shake, shiver, shock, shudder, sing, small talk, speak, speak at length, speaking, speech, spin out, spout, spout off, squawk, stretch out, string out, stultiloquence, talk, talk away, talk nonsense, talk on, talkee-talkee, talking, tittle-tattle, tremble, trill, twaddle, twattle, tweet, twit, twitter, vibrate, waffle, wag the tongue, warble, whistle, wobble, words, yak, yakkety-yak, yakking, yammer

"Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants..." - Maxwell

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2003, 11:45 PM   #12
parrothead

Quote:
Chatter:
Definition: [n] noisy talk
[n] the high-pitched continuing noise made by animals (birds or monkeys)
[n] the rapid series of noises made by the parts of a machine
[v] speak (about unimportant matters) rapidly and incessantly
[v] make noise as if chattering away; "The magpies were chattering in the trees"
[v] chew the fat; shoot the breeze
[v] cut unevenly with a chattering tool
[v] click repeatedly or uncontrollably, as of teeth

Synonyms: blab, blabber, cackle, chaffer, chat, chattering, chitchat, clack, claver, click, confab, confabulate, gabble, gibber, gossip, jaw, maunder, natter, palaver, piffle, prate, prattle, tattle, tittle-tattle, twaddle, visit, yack, yak, yakety-yak

See Also: babble, blather, blether, blether, blither, chin music, converse, cut, discourse, go, idle talk, jawbone, mouth, noise, prate, prattle, schmoose, schmooze, shmoose, shmooze, smatter, sound, speak, talk, talk, talking, utter, verbalise, verbalize

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Definition: \Chat"ter\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. {Chattered}; p. pr. &
vb. n. {Chattering}.] [Of imitative origin. Cf. {Chat}, v. i.
{Chitter}.]
1. To utter sounds which somewhat resemble language, but are
inarticulate and indistinct.

The jaw makes answer, as the magpie chatters.
--Wordsworth.

2. To talk idly, carelessly, or with undue rapidity; to
jabber; to prate.

To tame a shrew, and charm her chattering tongue.
--Shak.

3. To make a noise by rapid collisions.

With chattering teeth, and bristling hair upright.
--Dryden.

\Chat"ter\, v. t.
To utter rapidly, idly, or indistinctly.

Begin his witless note apace to chatter. --Spenser.

\Chat"ter\, n.
1. Sounds like those of a magpie or monkey; idle talk; rapid,
thoughtless talk; jabber; prattle.

Your words are but idle and empty chatter.
--Longfellow.

2. Noise made by collision of the teeth, as in shivering.

Thesaurus Terms

Related Terms: accents, babble, babblement, bavardage, be cold, bibble-babble, blab, blabber, blah-blah, blather, blether, blethers, bob, bobble, bounce, brattle, bull, bump, cackle, call, caquet, caqueterie, carol, caw, chaffer, chat, chattering, cheep, chill, chirk, chirp, chirr, chirrup, chitchat, chitter, chitter-chatter, chuck, clack, clacket, clatter, clatter about, clitter, clitterclatter, cluck, clunter, cock-a-doodle-doo, comment, conversation, converse, coo, croak, cronk, crow, cuckoo, declaim, didder, discourse, dither, drag out, draw out, drum, elocution, extend, falter, fill out, freeze, freeze to death, gab, gabble, gaggle, gas, gibber, gibble-gabble, go on, gobble, gossip, grow cold, guff, guggle, gush, have a chill, have an ague, have goose pimples, haver, honk, hoo, hoot, horripilate, hot air, hustle, idle talk, jabber, jabbering, jactitate, jar, jaw, jog, joggle, jolt, jostle, jounce, jump, language, lose heat, mere talk, mouth, natter, never finish, nonsense talk, oral communication, pad, palaver, parole, patter, peep, perish with cold, perorate, pip, pipe, pour forth, prate, prating, prattle, prittle-prattle, protract, quack, quake, quaver, quiver, racket, ramble on, rapping, rattle, rattle around, rattle on, rattletybang, rattling, reel off, roll, ruckle, run on, run out, scold, shake, shiver, shock, shudder, sing, small talk, speak, speak at length, speaking, speech, spin out, spout, spout off, squawk, stretch out, string out, stultiloquence, talk, talk away, talk nonsense, talk on, talkee-talkee, talking, tittle-tattle, tremble, trill, twaddle, twattle, tweet, twit, twitter, vibrate, waffle, wag the tongue, warble, whistle, wobble, words, yak, yakkety-yak, yakking, yammer

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2003, 07:23 AM   #13
stlmike
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

Josh, do you foil at any point when you smoke a brisket or just rely on low and slow for your briskets?
Mike
stlmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2003, 01:23 PM   #14
colt45
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlmike
Quote:

Josh, do you foil at any point when you smoke a brisket or just rely on low and slow for your briskets?
Mike
sometimes... basically if I remember I will foil... I would guess I am 50/50 on foil... I do put it in foil and in a cooler for a while ("while" being from when I put it in the cooler to when I cant stand not to eat it :) - I've never really "timed" it)

hope this helps
Currently without a Chapter
colt45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2003, 06:41 PM   #15
Mark

inject the cryo-pak the Brisket comes in with meat tenderizer (containing papaya enzyme) dissolved in beer, seal it with a piece of tape (preferrably duct tape to make Red Green proud) and let is sit overnight in the frige.

Mark (STL)

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote