ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #16
nolesfan954
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

For just myself and/or family? Salt, pepper, and cayenne on lightly oiled breasts and drumsticks on the grill with a low direct heat for about 45 minutes then sauced and cooked for another 15 minutes or so until I get a nice glaze.
nolesfan954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #17
MoGreen

Smoked chicken legs with Butt Glitter at my house! Slap 'em on the UDS around 270 to 290 degrees for 3 hours. Turn once at the half way point. Then fight over the last one!
MoGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #18
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

My wife makes a mean grilled chicken quesadilla that we've served company several times. I also like to make a simple marinated/rubbed pork tenderloin on the grill too. I still don't have my smoker yet so I've nothing to compare on personal experience!
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #19
sluvsmore
Full Fledged Farker

My wife and son wont let me use anything other then todd's dirt since we got it a month or so ago.

Time spent on the ocean or BBQing are not held against your life expectancy!
sluvsmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #20
BobBrisket

Well, for chicken, I like to experiment and try new rubs, marinades, sauces and glazes. As for the parts, I prefer bone in breasts with the skin to bones and skinless. More flavor there for me. My wife prefers the opposite, so I try to add more when it's skinless and boneless breasts. Kids and me also love legs and thighs and they are content with grilled and then a simple q sauce applied before serving. THe family also loves Pappy's Hot Spice on all the parts. Great rub for bird. But my all time favorite is thighs. However there is a lot to be said about doing a whole bird as a BCC or spatched. Last really nice slather I used was a basil/lime pesto on a whole spatched bird. THe flavor was incredible. As for the other meats, beef(steaks) just some Montreal, for pork I go with sweeter rubs. My side of the family cooks a lot differently from my wifes. My side uses lots of herbs, spices, heat, etc in everything and we like to experiment with following a recipe. My wife's side like to keep everything simple in flavor and when they try something new it's from a recipe. Nothing wrong with this, but cook outs etc always have the same flavor profile. With chicken I also like to go with hot and spicy and then totally change it up with sweet like a jam glaze and have both at the same time. Hot wings and raspberry glazed thighs go very well together on the same plate. Man, now I'm hungry.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #21
ljh34465
is one Smokin' Farker

Great thread.

My simplest is drumsticks with EVOO, sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and red pepper flakes. On a drummie rack indirect on the gasser.

Yardbird has been a standard on spatchcock on the egg - indirect.

Working my way through the Dizzy Pig sampler (and enjoying it).

Rarely sauce - serve it on the side - might be because we are doing a taste off almost every time. Relatively new to Q so trying lotsa different rubs and sauces.
ljh34465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #22
bassbuster33

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
When I am doing the quick weeknight thing I usually keep it pretty simple...marinade in Lowery's Baja Chipotle and then direct grill. I typically only flip once, and I don't usually baste them during cooking. When I am doing a bigger whole family party type thing, I will typically go ahead and do the comp thighs.
I like to use that for marinating peppers and onions and then grilling them for chicken fajitas. The veggies really soak up the marinade. The breasts themselves just get a light dusting of salt and pepper or a Southwest style rub.
bassbuster33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #23
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Usually grilled breasts and thighs around our house for the quick dinners. Keep it simple with Yardbird rub.

For the longer cooks brined and smoked spatchcock chicken is the preferred method.
That is exactly our go to here. I posted this thread because I see so many ways to cook yardbird that look good. It can be flavored in so many ways with different spices and techniques that it seems to be a staple for the American family. There ain't notin better than good ol' BBQ chicken!!!!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #24
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbuster33 View Post
I like to use that for marinating peppers and onions and then grilling them for chicken fajitas.
That is a great idea bass...I will have to try that next time.

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #25
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

I love to smoke some boneless chicken breasts and then dice into a nice chicken salad recipe I have.
We usually make the sandwiches out of croissant bread. Yum!
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #26
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I enjoy smoked chicken and regularly cook them on the beer can holders in the drum. I'll use Johnny's Seasoning, Old Bay or anything left in the bottom of a rub bottle! What we don't eat for dinner gets boned and packaged for quick meals during the week or lunch at work-I love leftovers! Smoked Chicken Caesar salad or Wraps, Enchiladas, Fettucine Alfredo, hell I'm not ashamed to crack open a box of Zatarains Jambalya or Gumbo!

I hate comp chicken! But love thighs cooked on the drum or rotissed with my basket or the Rib-O-Lator, thats when I pull out the Plowboys or Dizzy Pig!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote