ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default My 1st brisket coulda been better...

coulda been worse

Started the fire at 1 am

and the smoke looked good.

Put the meat on at 2 am. The temp was 225.

Checked on it about 4 am and it was showing promise. Turned the fat cap up and added some briquets (Kingsford competition with mesquite chunks).

Came back at about 5:45 am and the fire was holding at about 240. I rotated the meat added fuel and headed back to bed.

This went on until about 3:30. (At one point mid morning the fire dropped to 180 and I stoked it back up.) At 3:30 the probe went in like butter and even though the temperature was only 185 I remembered my master's voice who said it's about the probe, not the temperature. So off it came. The point was separated and put back on for two hours. I sliced a piece off the end of the flat and it was heaven. It was then wrapped and put in a chest that had been filled with hot water and emptied. There were towels all around.

At 5:30 I pulled the point, cut it up, mixed it up with some souce, put it in a pan, covered it and put it back on the fire.

At 6:30 I pulled the burnt ends off the fire, and cut up the flat.

The burnt ends were delicious. The ends of the flat were delicious. The center could only be described as dense. Everybody enjoyed their meal and for a first outing, I'm not disappointed. After all, brisket is a journey, not a destination. Thanks to all who offered advice.
is my tumblr photoblog

22.5 WSM
22.5 OTS Weber kettle
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Dense? Maybe it wasn't quite done? Did you probe a few spots? Looks good!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

"Everybody enjoyed their meal"

You can't ask for anything more than that. Great job for a first time.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

WOW...excellent cook. Looks great. Nice job.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

yeah, too bad you had to rip the point off. Some harm should come one day to the person that started that little bit of stupidity. Of course, anyone in here that does that they are the exception... we like to think of ourselves as the brethren... who love everyone who BBQs.... even if they are retarded for separating the point. We can use that word now right? retarded? to describe those that started this stupid trick of separating? No? Okay... nevermind... I apologize and no offense to any who do this.

I gotta work on these damn social skills again. :-)

Uh... can I have some of your retarded Mock Burnt ends? MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM ahhh the taste of retardation. mmmmmm gimmie more please.

Unread 10-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Dense? Maybe it wasn't quite done? Did you probe a few spots? Looks good!
I probed from the end and I probed from the center, but my probing was all parallel to the grain. Is that a problem? Also, the meat never plateaued. It moved right through the 160's without missing a beat.

Barbefunkoramaque, can you point me to a post that expands on your point point? By way of introduction, I still remember the first time I heard James Brown like it was yesterday, I've seen the Neville Brothers four times and I have personally implored John Cleary to come to Nashville. The funk is near and dear to me.
is my tumblr photoblog

22.5 WSM
22.5 OTS Weber kettle
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp

Unread 10-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
sandy-beach
Found some matches.

That sure looks good to me. I think brisket is my favorite. Most of the time. Sometimes it's ribs. Or pork butt. Perhaps sausage. I change my mind a lot depending on how good it is that day I guess. But I do know chicken is always my least favorite.

Anyway, your brisket looks yummy.
sandy-beach is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well, thankfully, you did not peak with your first brisket, where would you have left to go. If everyone ate it and loved it, then your mission was a success. I tend to probe at an angle, as close to the middle as possible. I don't probe the ends as I figure they will be done first no matter what (I could be wrong).

I am one who likes the point sliced along with the flat, get that fatty cut along with the flat on the plate.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I suggest NEVER to separate the point because its a hard habit to break. The chit is so good! So good in fact it will make you wanna throw away the flat.

I don't do this as since I don't use foil (not that you shouldn't - I just don't need to) the point protects the flat as it finishes off to probe tender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
I probed from the end and I probed from the center, but my probing was all parallel to the grain. Is that a problem? Also, the meat never plateaued. It moved right through the 160's without missing a beat.

Barbefunkoramaque, can you point me to a post that expands on your point point? By way of introduction, I still remember the first time I heard James Brown like it was yesterday, I've seen the Neville Brothers four times and I have personally implored John Cleary to come to Nashville. The funk is near and dear to me.

Unread 10-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
It seems to me that probing with the grain the probe would slide in easier since it can go between the strands of the muscle, so it may give you a false feeling. I haven't really tested this out, but it makes sense.

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
BobBrisket

Looks good to me. Looks like the kettle did the job, just needed a bit more time. Could the "denseness" have been from the thick slices? THis only means one thing.............you gotta do another one!
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #12
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Looks good to me. Looks like the kettle did the job, just needed a bit more time. Could the "denseness" have been from the thick slices? THis only means one thing.............you gotta do another one!
I think you're right on both points.
is my tumblr photoblog

22.5 WSM
22.5 OTS Weber kettle
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp

Unread 10-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
BRBBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

My last brisket wasn't so hot, I started getting paranoid when the temp hit 180F, so I foiled it. I think the bark is drying out so I foil! I need to stop using foil. Nice job on your's.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #14
nolaman
is one Smokin' Farker

Good look'n briski...my favorite! I cooked My first several weeks ago.Saw no point in seperating the point! It wasn't boint! Why not just cut off boint ends? Burned food taste like charcoal to me! What do you do to make it taste good?

Unread 10-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #15
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Burned food taste like charcoal to me!

oh Lawd! I mo Need a drink.