The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
The Virginian
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Optimal temperature for money muscle?

My pork is schizophrenic. This year, half the time I get a high call, the other half it is down in the bottom third somewhere. I feature the money muscles on a bed of pulled. I rarely actually taste the money muscle (hereafter MM) because there is not very much of it. Since the pulled seems to me to be about the same every time, I think the difference has to be in the MM. My theory is that on the occasions when I tank it is because the MM is over cooked and a little dry.

I am going to run some tests this winter to see if I can identify an optimum temperature when the MM is both tender and super moist on a consistent basis. As a little pre-experiment research, though, I wanted to ask you all what you think the optimum temperature for the money muscle is? I take my butts off at about 203. If the optimum temp for the MM is lower, perhaps I need to cook extra butts just for the MM and take them off at a lower temp. Anyway, what's your vote for optimal MM temperature?

Brett
The Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Brett-

That seems very high to me at least. I'd need a lightsaber to cut it at that temp, how do you do it? I'm thinking more like 190.

Extreme BBQ Trailer, Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party, WSM, Traegar 124, Yoder YS640
Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, The Ingredients Store (FAB), Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team), BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ and Galvinells Meats
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I have a lightsaber.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
The Virginian
On the road to being a farker

In Response to Dan,
I have a very sharp knife and a lot of patience. Maybe 200+ is getting carried away (but heck, I pulled my brisket at 208 this weekend and it did pretty well, so go figure). At 190, the butt is often still giving too much resistance for my taste when I test it. Maybe the answer is to pay more attention as they get closer to done so I can take them out the moment the butts give it up. I am still going to try the experiments, though. It may turn out that optimal MM temp is 180-185, in which case I am going to need more cooker space to do special butts for the MM. If only that dreaded parting rule was not there!

Brett
The Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Podge - need proof. Pics?

Extreme BBQ Trailer, Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party, WSM, Traegar 124, Yoder YS640
Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, The Ingredients Store (FAB), Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team), BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ and Galvinells Meats
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

well, money muscles kinda tricky, 200+ im suprised you can even find that thinG!!! in all seriousness thou, my bet is 180-185 before pulling out of cooker and resting, that'd bring it to about 190-195 after the rest and should slice real nice.

Unread 10-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I don't use the money muscle. Opens up to many different opinions at the judging table.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq View Post
Podge - need proof. Pics?
I would post pics, but you'd just say it looks like a normal knife, even though it's 1970's ginsu-sharp.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

We cook our butts to 205-210 internal and then slice the MM. I've gone as high as 215 before and was still able to slice the MM. It just takes patience and a really sharp knife to get slices without falling apart at those temps.

The faster you cook the higher the internal temperature needed to render. We're cooking on a UDS and get them done in 5-6 hours.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote