The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 10-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #16
Garth57
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagonbbqco View Post
If you are going to sell meat by the pound---make sure that your scale is certified by weights and measures. People always talk about dealing with Health Depts, Fire Depts, etc. but you must also deal with weights and measures if you are selling by the pound. What I do is sell by volume---by size of container.
Thanks, I was wondering about that. I did buy 8 oz and 16 oz containers for the sides, but should probably go with those for the meat as well. I think we were way over doing it on our guesstimates the first day. One person came back twice for more lbs of meat. As far as the racks, I told folks they would get at least 12 bones in a rack, if not more. Everyone seemed pretty satisfied.

CBBQA Member #1218
KCBS Cert. Judge #23431
s.U.D.S. (small 30 gal. UDS)
UDS
Brinkman vertical Smoke 'n Pit
Traeger BBQ100
NorcoRednecks-UDS 85 gal/remod
[I]TemequeBBQ[/I]-insulated vert smoker
Garth57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #17
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

congrats on your first market! Sounds like things went fairly well.

Have you tried Simply Marvelous Rubs yet??

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2009, 05:36 AM   #18
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats .... Work seems hard but you will find out what is the best for your sales and prep methods to give you some sleep.

Unread 10-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #19
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Way to go Bill! Glad you had a successful first day. And don't worry, that market is too far away for me!

I wouldn't worry about a certified scale. They cost way too much and no one has ever asked to see my certification. I just use a regular digital scale that can hold at least 5 lbs. And I really only use it as a base line. I always give a couple of ounces more to keep people coming back.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #20
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

California allows you to cook at home? Do you have a certified kitchen?

Unread 10-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #21
Garth57
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204 View Post
California allows you to cook at home? Do you have a certified kitchen?
That's what delayed my start by 2 months. I finally found a certified kitchen. No we can't cook at home. I managed to get the local American Legion Hall to allow me to use their facilities. The only bad thing is that the kitchen is right next to their bar. I took a couple of breaks in the bar and found they have very inexpensive drinks. I joined the Legion and it was easier to get approval. Plus it's nice to be able to wash all the pans, etc, in the big sink there.

CBBQA Member #1218
KCBS Cert. Judge #23431
UDS
Traeger BBQ100

Unread 10-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #22
bbqbull

Downloads: 1

Congrats on your first vending day Bill!

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #23
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congrats Bill. now you have to get set to do the Norco Valley Fair.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #24
Garth57
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks. Had another day with about the same $$ intake. Had numerous people come and say they were referred by a friend from last week. Several ordered meats by the pound as well as racks of ribs. Some said they were interested in some small gigs as well. I guess bbq is hard to come by. Is kind of encouraging though. The case of beer I shared with my partner and wife afterwards, sure was good. Nap time.......

CBBQA Member #1218
KCBS Cert. Judge #23431
UDS
Traeger BBQ100

Unread 10-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #25
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 3

Nice job bud your on the path. Next you will be doing it roadside.I can help you out with the Backwoods when you ready got a fall sale going on them now.
smokinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2009, 01:26 AM   #26
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth57 View Post
Had my first day at a local Farmers Market in Corona on Sat. After staying up till 0330 smoking 40 lbs of brisket, 40 lbs of pork butt, 8 racks of St Louis style ribs, 3 full trays of beans, prepping 4 fattys, I decided to get 2 hours of sleep. Got up loaded trailer and was ready to get to the market by 0700 for the 0830 start time. Trailer had a flat tire s#%t!! Got there and was unloading.....My giant cambros (UPC1600) tires got stuck in the floor gap and took about 45 min to unload. Got smokers going to draw the crowd and was ready about 0930. Our chairs we brought did not get used, We were busy until about 1pm non-stop. Gave away lots of samples, in hopes of return business and several folks came back with other family menmbers to order more. Sold 4 racks of ribs and several large containers of pulled pork, brisket. We ran out of brisket and had about a lb of pork and 4 bones left. The lady running the market said she had several dozen folks telling her how good it was. I had given her a big sampler plate earlier. Well I'm done bragging. My partner and I, along with my 16 yr old son (who actually got up at 6 to help) had a good time and plan on being at this place for a while. Hoping to get a few small catering gigs as well. Our menu lists pre ordering on large quantitys, hope this will generate sales as well. Lots of work though!! I need to get a backwoods or spicewine or similiar type. My old Traeger and 2 UDS's got a workout.
Nice job brother. I know how much work you put in. Its all for the love of "Q" you did a good job people will see this you will get a lot of business. congrats
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #27
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Way to go Bill! Glad you had a successful first day. And don't worry, that market is too far away for me!

I wouldn't worry about a certified scale. They cost way too much and no one has ever asked to see my certification. I just use a regular digital scale that can hold at least 5 lbs. And I really only use it as a base line. I always give a couple of ounces more to keep people coming back.
During my HD inspection last week somebody asked if I sold by the pound. I said I can sell them about a pound. The HD guy said you can't do that without a certified scale. But you can sell a quart by volume not wieght or you can say you'll sell enough for at least 4 - 4 oz or 3-5 oz sandwiches without having a scale. That's because you sell sandwiches not pounds of meat.

Also this really needs to be in your SOP's before you can sell by the pound and like I said no certified scale = no approval. It's actually considered a major violation and can result in immediate shutdown.

Unread 10-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #28
Chuckwagonbbqco
Take a breath!

Exactly Ford----that is what I said earlier but Bigmista scoffed at what I said----I guess he hasn't been caught yet. Selling by volume is legal---selling by the pound without a certified scale is illegal. Saying approximate pound does not make it legal.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #29
Garth57
Full Fledged Farker

I actually am using my 8 oz containers to sell "by volume". I guess I should state that on my posted menu and verbally as well. They see me measuring that way, but I should not take any chances. Thanks guys, I would like to continue my venture without any glitches. Continual learning process.

CBBQA Member #1218
KCBS Cert. Judge #23431
UDS
Traeger BBQ100

Unread 10-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #30
Jerk Pit Master
Knows what a fatty is.

Volume only works for pulled meats and sides.

What are some other legal ways?

Is it legal to ask how much you want to spend, and cut a slab of meat roast that size (with or without weighing)?

or is the following leagal as I've done on occassion?

Sell meat by the piece. They choose a $12, $15, $18 or $24 slab of pre-wrapped meat. Same thing with slabs of ribs some are real big and some are real small resulting in a + or - $5 per slab price swing. Naturally, I've weighed it and priced it fairly, but am selling by the piece, by weight.

Similarly, I go to a seafood restaurant that sets market price for the whole red snapper meal and the price is dependent on the market and size of the fish. Sometimes that meal will run you $14 (with a 1+lb fish), other times it will run you $18-$20 (with a 2lb fish).
Jerk Pit Master is offline   Reply With Quote