The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Unread 10-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #31
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Don, thanks for the clarification on that January 1 vote. I only had to go on the information we as members are given and that was all we were given in the notes from the board. The solution to the January 1 / March 1 issue would be to have your rules meeting in January at the banquet, subsequently discuss the rule issue in question and vote changes to be effective the FOLLOWING January 1. That gives you nine months to fully communicate to the teams and get them prepared for a rule change. Nothing wrong with taking time to do it right and then educate and communicate with membership.

As for the dessert, I can see the six foot entries being a problem (although I've never personally seen one). But the size limit being set at not much bigger than a legal sheet of paper seems like it's squelching creativity to me. And since these categories aren't KCBS categories, I'm not so sure that it shouldn't be up to the organizers to place restrictions on ancillary categories rather than the KCBS. Do you disagree with that?
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #32
DONHARWELL
Found some matches.

I agree with you on the timing of rules - I would like to see the year run from January to January and have time to get members input on any changes.

As for the anything butts the BOD has limited it to no bigger than a sheet pan 17-3/4in. x 25-3/4in. not a sheet of paper. I have to say as long as KCBS Reps are doing the categories, we (the BOD) need to help them my requesting a size limit. If the organizers are doing the ancillary I say no limits. My wife and I have stopped doing ancillaries when we cook because to many times the rules have changed when we arrived on site at a contest. The other reason we have stopped is we cannot afford to do some of the things that others are doing now. If all were in a box I personally maybe could, but the cost for me to do the things I see at turn-ins now is just too much for us. So we (At Ease Moonlighters) have chosen not to enter ancillaries for now. But for those that can - keep the ancillaries coming I love them when I am a judge or Rep.
DONHARWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #33
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

I also agree with the timing of the rule changes.

Since I rep more than anything else I would also like to give you some food for thought.
I do try to cook at least 1 or 2 times a year. I also have organized contests, work as a mentor for new and existing contest organizers and teach CBJ classes with my husband Jerry.

Reps have more interaction with the cooks than cooks do with each other. We are out there talking to the cooks at least 2 or 3 times at each contest, each and every cook.

Some of us actually do hear what you are saying and try to make the changes you request. Now remember each person on the board only has 1 vote so although we sometimes try to make the changes they are overruled by others on the board.

If you have any rule change discussions for this years meeting please email them to rules@kcbs.us. It will be added to the agenda. Better yet come to the banquet in Philadelphia and voice your opinion. I do want to hear you.

One last item about the youth. I have been very involved in the organization of the Junior World BBQ Championship in Lake Placid. This was for 16-21 year olds this year and next year will include a youth division 12-15 year olds. The vision of this is to have qualifiers around the world and culminate in Lake Placid each year for the finals. That is down the road. (This is a KCBS sanctioned event under the Competitor Series)

Linda Mullane
Pig Daddy's BBQ
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #34
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Linda, the youth BBQ series idea is great! Props to everyone involved with that!!

The only thing I'd question you on is your comment that reps have more contact with cooks than cooks do... I don't really buy into that at all. Of course some reps are much better than others. Here's an example - this past weekend, the rep in Columbia did not show up at our site ever. In fact, the only time I saw him was at cook's meeting and the awards. He wasn't even there at the table accepting the turn-in's. He was off to the side and sometimes not even visible while a table full of entries stacked up with no supervision. I'm not sure this guy would know a cook if one twisted his nose. The thing we cooks really enjoy is that we're all family. From our Friday evening potlucks dinners with each other to helping out when someone has forgotten to bring something to a contest - cooks stick together. I'm not sure reps (regardless of how good they are) can penetrate that bond unless they themselves are cooks as well. It's great that you talk with teams and try to implement what they ask for though. From my visits with cooks, that's what I find is not happening often enough and I'm glad you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
I also agree with the timing of the rule changes.

Since I rep more than anything else I would also like to give you some food for thought.
I do try to cook at least 1 or 2 times a year. I also have organized contests, work as a mentor for new and existing contest organizers and teach CBJ classes with my husband Jerry.

Reps have more interaction with the cooks than cooks do with each other. We are out there talking to the cooks at least 2 or 3 times at each contest, each and every cook.

Some of us actually do hear what you are saying and try to make the changes you request. Now remember each person on the board only has 1 vote so although we sometimes try to make the changes they are overruled by others on the board.

If you have any rule change discussions for this years meeting please email them to rules@kcbs.us. It will be added to the agenda. Better yet come to the banquet in Philadelphia and voice your opinion. I do want to hear you.

One last item about the youth. I have been very involved in the organization of the Junior World BBQ Championship in Lake Placid. This was for 16-21 year olds this year and next year will include a youth division 12-15 year olds. The vision of this is to have qualifiers around the world and culminate in Lake Placid each year for the finals. That is down the road. (This is a KCBS sanctioned event under the Competitor Series)

Linda Mullane
Pig Daddy's BBQ
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #35
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

Jeff,

The only comment I have is different reps different parts of the country. There is not a team out here that can say I don't visit them more than once at every contest and that does not count the cooks meeting. Hearing what they have to say is important to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Linda, the youth BBQ series idea is great! Props to everyone involved with that!!

The only thing I'd question you on is your comment that reps have more contact with cooks than cooks do... I don't really buy into that at all. Of course some reps are much better than others. Here's an example - this past weekend, the rep in Columbia did not show up at our site ever. In fact, the only time I saw him was at cook's meeting and the awards. He wasn't even there at the table accepting the turn-in's. He was off to the side and sometimes not even visible while a table full of entries stacked up with no supervision. I'm not sure this guy would know a cook if one twisted his nose. The thing we cooks really enjoy is that we're all family. From our Friday evening potlucks dinners with each other to helping out when someone has forgotten to bring something to a contest - cooks stick together. I'm not sure reps (regardless of how good they are) can penetrate that bond unless they themselves are cooks as well. It's great that you talk with teams and try to implement what they ask for though. From my visits with cooks, that's what I find is not happening often enough and I'm glad you do.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #36
BogsBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
Could you tell us how many times this happened this year? How many times did you vote for a motion that didn't pass or vote against a motion that passed?

Your point is discouraging to me. I would hope that, if a motion is made which is in the best interest of barbecue and/or benefits KCBS members, it would pass. And if it didn't and you still feel it is in the best interest of barbecue, you wouldn't just let it die. I think of the BoD as more than just a vote.

I would also hope that members of the BoD wouldn't abstain from voting on important issues.
BogsBBQ is online now   Reply With Quote