THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I also hear that if you corn hoe your goat more will fit in the smoker as well.

Would spatchcocking dry the bird out? I think you would get a much better smoke penetration.
I've had good luck when spatchcocking. Never a dried out bird yet. My record is 23 chickens. Have not tried the turkeys yet, but will shoot for 8, if they are spatchcocked just right.
I also hear that if you corn hoe your goat more will fit in the smoker as well.
Haven't tried this one yet, not sure what you mean? Can you take pictures next time so we can see how it is done?

think you need to spatchcock to the duck and chicken when making a Turducken. Is this true?
No If you spatchcock a turducken, you must do just the chicken and turkey portions before stuffing them together. The duck is too oily and the duck oil reacts negatively with the whole spatchcocking process, creating a rancid taste. Rice, however has been known to counteract this effect.

I did a couple of chickens this way recently and they turned out great. I marinated them just a little while and then basted with Cornell sauce.

Also did some Cornish Game Hens -- now with the game hens I did wrap them with some bacon to keep them from drying out but other than that and some cherry juice spray I didn't do anything special..

It's a neat technique and looks cool, too :D

SYLLABICATION: spatch·cock

NOUN: A dressed and split chicken for roasting or broiling on a spit.

Took that from the dictionary

And you can put in another rack every other slot getting at least 12 in there.
Damn, was having too much fun with that one to realise it's a real thing.

Don't think I would try it though, If I want to do more birds, I just fire up the monster cooker. I can do about 30 chickens in there. Have not tried turkeys yet, but could probably do an ass load of em.

Brian still waiting on those goat corn hoe pictures.

I suspect then goat pictures would have to go in the wood pile or we could wait for Chad to get back from Memphis. :roll:

parrothead said:
Damn, was having too much fun with that one to realise it's a real thing.

Don't think I would try it though, If I want to do more birds, I just fire up the monster cooker. I can do about 30 chickens in there. Have not tried turkeys yet, but could probably do an ass load of em.

Brian still waiting on those goat corn hoe pictures.

I was too. I saw a picture in todays Trib Food section about spatchcocking, and thought I would run with it.

It's Q related, so this is the approproate forum.

If I was looking for maximum room, I would probably just do quarters, or pieces. Could probably put in those extra racks like bill says and get 2 and a half birds per level.

willkat98 said:
Thanks Greg.

I think you need to spatchcock to the duck and chicken when making a Turducken. Is this true?
Nope.

To make a Turducken, you have to debone your turkey, duck and chicken. The chicken is then stuffed into the duck, which is then stuffed into the turkey.

http://www.chefpaul.com/turducken.html

If you watch football on Thanksgiving, John Madden usually has one of these things made up (although his had 6 drumsticks). It is served sliced like a ham.

So, now we have a spatchcock mod and a turducken mod.

Oh yeah, and a Madden turkey mod to add legs.

Still keeping track of all the mods, bill?

This is just a way of cutting up a chicken that butchers have been using for centuries. You remove the backbone and then spread out the chicken and remove the breast bone. When you buy chicken quarters they are spatchcocked and then the hind quarter is cut away from the fore quarter just below the ribs. Then you have a quartered chicken. I have done this many times but usually go ahead and quarter the bird because it is easier to handle on the grill. It works great for any poultry to include turkeys. This is the first step in fixing turducken. After you spachcock the three birds you go in and remove all the bones from the inside, spliting the inside of the wings, thighs and legs to remove their bones. Then you spread derssing on the inside of the turkey and place the duck on the dressing. Spread more dressing on the inside of the duck and place the chinken on that dressing. Then lastly you put some dressing on the inside of the chicken and roll the whole thing up and tie it with butchers string. Bake till the temp in the dressing of the chicken is done and you have a turducken. Slice like a brisket so each slice contains a circle of each bird and serve with copius amounts of Guinness.

Back