The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Kickback BBQ on Guam
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default How to make LUMP charcoal

I keep hearing about using lump charcoal on here. Is there really a benefit over Briquettes? I realize that lump woul be more pure and natural (if you made it yourself).
Lump is not offered here anywhere, can it be made and is is worth it?

Unread 09-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
MAB52
Full Fledged Farker

Here is a pretty good link.
http://www.twinoaksforge.com/BLADSMITHING/MAKING%20CHARCOAL.htm

Unread 09-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

well if ya got 60-140 acres of hardwood trees like i do- yeah it's a plus...
i'll take pics tomorrow of just yesterday's pile.
here's a link on how to do it... the better link is broken now...
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/makinglump.htm

Unread 09-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
Kickback BBQ on Guam

Thanks for the links.
Is there really a benefit to using lump?

Unread 09-24-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Lump burns hotter but also quicker. Some brands spark and pop alot but to me it adds alot more smokyness than briquettes. If you like nice even fires you will probably like briquettes more but it is not impossible to control a lump charcoal fire im sure it just takes practice. Others can chime in more I'm sure. I like it more for grilling than low and slow.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #6
Kickback BBQ on Guam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Al Gold View Post
Lump burns hotter but also quicker. Some brands spark and pop alot but to me it adds alot more smokyness than briquettes. If you like nice even fires you will probably like briquettes more but it is not impossible to control a lump charcoal fire im sure it just takes practice. Others can chime in more I'm sure. I like it more for grilling than low and slow.
I'm not sure about the smokyness part. I thought with natural (homemade) lump when the gasses were all burnt off, so would the food flavor. Don't know, just asking a question. My big offset would progagly love some lump if it burns hotter than briquettes.
Any and all other information will be appreciated.

Unread 09-25-2009, 01:34 AM   #7
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

you can burn lump-home lump or even green wood in your offset provided enough fresh airflow/draft...depending on wood type..

Unread 09-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickback BBQ on Guam View Post
I'm not sure about the smokyness part. I thought with natural (homemade) lump when the gasses were all burnt off, so would the food flavor. Don't know, just asking a question. My big offset would progagly love some lump if it burns hotter than briquettes.
Any and all other information will be appreciated.
I like to use mesquite lump and I can smell the mesquite aroma when cooking. It's subtle but its there and that is more than you get from regular k. It's not a powerful smokiness but subtle and sweet like me...jk
At our ranch we have a big pit not as big as the one in your picture but similar and we use mequite lump and it seems to burn so much better than briquettes did in it. That or we use just regular wood. Make a small batch it sure doesn't hurt to try it out.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
Kickback BBQ on Guam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Al Gold View Post
I like to use mesquite lump and I can smell the mesquite aroma when cooking. It's subtle but its there and that is more than you get from regular k. It's not a powerful smokiness but subtle and sweet like me...jk
At our ranch we have a big pit not as big as the one in your picture but similar and we use mequite lump and it seems to burn so much better than briquettes did in it. That or we use just regular wood. Make a small batch it sure doesn't hurt to try it out.
With our climate wood doesn't last very long (rot/ termites/ moss). I just had a friend deliver (YES FREE AND DELIVERED) two cords of split and seasoned wood with another two cords available. I know that it will go to waste if I don't do something with it in a reasonable amount of time. I just figured this might be the best way to preserve it and if it sames me money in charcoal thats cool too.

Unread 09-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
Beast Drinker
Full Fledged Farker

I really like it for grilling cause you can just get so much heat from it gets a real nice sear, I also use it to mix in with Briquettes so I can get more flavor. I like lump but haven't had the nads to go to a full load of it for smoking cause it burns pretty fast. But if you can make a mess of it I'd say do it.

You wouldn't happen to have some Fiesta plate Pron would you? Or Maybe some beef Keleguin? I haven't been out there since '05. I love the food on Guam.
18" Weber OTS aka #1, Smokey Joe gold, 18" WSM, dirt late model
Beast Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #11
Kickback BBQ on Guam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Drinker View Post
I really like it for grilling cause you can just get so much heat from it gets a real nice sear, I also use it to mix in with Briquettes so I can get more flavor. I like lump but haven't had the nads to go to a full load of it for smoking cause it burns pretty fast. But if you can make a mess of it I'd say do it.

You wouldn't happen to have some Fiesta plate Pron would you? Or Maybe some beef Keleguin? I haven't been out there since '05. I love the food on Guam.
Last weekend was Talafofo Fiesta. That's the best Fiesta of them all I think (Merizo is close). I'm cooking for a party of about 200 in a couple of weeks, I'll post pictures of all the chow. Most people would kringe at the thought of eating spicy, cold, lemonie, raw meat. We LOVE it!!

Unread 09-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
Beast Drinker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Last weekend was Talafofo Fiesta. That's the best Fiesta of them all I think (Merizo is close). I'm cooking for a party of about 200 in a couple of weeks, I'll post pictures of all the chow. Most people would kringe at the thought of eating spicy, cold, lemonie, raw meat. We LOVE it!!

Dude Keleguin is one of the jewels of the Pacific. I've thought about trying to make it. Gimme like 3 kinds a big azz scoop of red rice and a slab of ribs. mmmmmmm Guam.

Unread 09-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
Kickback BBQ on Guam

Quote:
Dude Keleguin is one of the jewels of the Pacific. I've thought about trying to make it. Gimme like 3 kinds a big azz scoop of red rice and a slab of ribs. mmmmmmm Guam.
That's why we're all over weight here. That's the best part about keleguin is how simple it is to make. Key ingredients peppers and lemon juice and more peppers)

Unread 09-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
Beast Drinker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
That's why we're all over weight here. That's the best part about keleguin is how simple it is to make. Key ingredients peppers and lemon juice and more peppers)
That's why you got cold beer keep up with the spice!

Maybe I'll try to make it, I googled red rice a few years ago. Made that and it was pretty good at home. Maybe I'll make me some ribs , chicken legs, red rice, chicken, beef and fish keleguin all at once some time. Maybe if we get another hot day, it would feel weird eating that meal in 70 degree weather.

Maybe Spam in the smoker too?

Unread 09-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #15
Kickback BBQ on Guam

Quote:
That's why you got cold beer keep up with the spice!

Maybe I'll try to make it, I googled red rice a few years ago. Made that and it was pretty good at home. Maybe I'll make me some ribs , chicken legs, red rice, chicken, beef and fish keleguin all at once some time. Maybe if we get another hot day, it would feel weird eating that meal in 70 degree weather.

Maybe Spam in the smoker too?
Spam does work well on a smoker for chaser'