עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Burk504
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Meat Inspection - KCBS

Doing my first comp 2 weekends from now, Smokin Valley BBQ Festival in Front Royal VA, and am curious about what the inspector is looking for.

I see in the rules that I can't pre-treat the meat before the inspection, but are there other things he is looking for? Does the inspector want to see the packaging and the sell-by date on it?

Thanks,
Jeff

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Depends on the comp and inspector, but in my limmited experience I've never had a meat inspection go beyond eyeballing the package and the cooler. If it's in a cryovac and on ice, you shouldn't have any problem. If it's trimmed, but in a ziploc, you should similarly have little problem. Make sure it's the correct weight on the butts and have fun! If you have the original packaging and receipt, you may want to take it just in case, but I never bother. Good Luck!

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pre-treating means no rubs, spices, injections, marinades, etc. can be applied to the meats. Pre-trimming is usually allowed depending on your local health dept. regs...

Good luck at the comp!
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

btw, sell by date doesn't mean a whole lot since there's nothing prohibiting the use of previously frozen meats. Some teams even insist on it!

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

I know it varies from one area to another. Around this part of the country, we get a quick look to make sure the meat is being held below 40*, sometimes they check to make sure our Pork is at least 5#'s and once I had an inspector check that I had my chicken in a different cooler than my other meats(this is not required under any KCBS rule that I have seen, but it's a good idea to do just in case you get this inspector).

You are allowed to trim your meats before inspection, but not to preseason or marinate them.

Good luck on your first comp and have a good time

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin CoonAss Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

You might want to make sure you have a thermometer in the cooler or close by. I believe that is a requirement.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
is one Smokin' Farker

Its funny, of all the minutia rules KCBS has for things, there is LITTLE guidance on meat inspection. At our contest I make sure the meat is in original packaging unseasoned, if trimmed, I look a little closer. I also make sure the meat is at safe temps (visually no thermometer). Believe it or not I also take a glance at what else it around, ie if I see cooked versions of the comp meats I ask....and they better say thats lunch or supper!!

Corduroy Pillows are Making Headlines

Operation BBQ for our Troops- Midwest Division
www.operationbbqmw.org
Bride of Roo(BQ'n) is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

they will be checking to make sure it's not seasoned,also checking for extinguisher, wash bins and temp probs. if you have all your good. Good luck and have fun

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Here is the KCBS meat inspection guide that is available on their website under "resources" (member only access):

KCBS Meat Inspections Guide

Thank you for agreeing to assist with the meat inspections for this contest. There are two reasons we conduct meat inspections. The first is for safety. We need to ensure the meat is being properly handled and stored. The second reason is to ensure fairness.

You, as a meat inspector, should be knowledgeable of the current KCBS rules and familiar with the cuts of meat being submitted for your contest. We are not asking you to be the “meat police”, just to use common sense.

The cooks arrive the day before the contest to get set up and many will want to start meat preparation as soon as possible. All competition meats must be inspected by the Organizer or its representative, prior to the cook preparing the meats for competition. Therefore, the meat inspector should be on site the morning before the contest (normally Friday). We recommend 9:00 AM but NO LATER than 11:00 AM.

The contest organizer should give you a list of all the teams and their locations. The bottom line is that all competition meats get inspected. There is a form at the end of these guidelines that you can use to record your inspections or you may make one of your own. You will need two complete copies of this form. Once all of the inspections are completed, give one of the copies to the organizer and the other to one of the KCBS Contest Reps.

Any issues or concerns should be reported to your Contest Rep for resolution. The KCBS Rep has the final word on any question or issue with the meat inspection.

You may either inspect each teams competition meats as they arrive and are being checked in or you may go to their cook site to do your inspections. If you are not able to do your inspections as the teams arrive, one easy way to help you keep track of who has had an inspection and who has not is to give each team a 3 foot piece of orange ribbon and ask them to display the ribbon when they are ready for the meat inspector. After they have been inspected, simply remove the ribbon.

Remember: KCBS contest meats may not be precooked or premarinated prior to the meat inspection. Some teams may be entering more categories than others so be sure you confirm with the cooks that all the meat they will be using in the competition has been inspected by you.

Here are the most important points for you to know before you begin:

1. All meats must be stored at a temperature of 40 degrees or less. Use common sense. If the meat is packed in ice, or in a refrigerator and is cold, then it is presumed the meat has met the requirement. Please do not use a temperature probe to measure internal temps. We do not want to cross contaminate any meats. You may check the temperature of the ice chest or the refrigerator. Meats which are warmmust be removed from the contest area and may not be used in competition. Do not open meat packages which you can see through unless from the looks of the meat you suspect some type of improper marinade.

2. No pre­seasoned meat is allowed other than manufacturer-enhanced or injected products as stated on the label excluding but not limited to: teriyaki, lemon pepper or butter injected. All meats must be raw when inspected.

3. The meats do not have to be in the original packaging and may be trimmed prior to meat inspection, but no meat may be seasoned, injected or cooked prior to the inspect ion.

According to KCBS rules, these are the only acceptable meats for a KCBS Sanctioned contest:

Chicken: Chicken includes wild or farm-raised chicken, Cornish game hen or kosher chicken. The chicken may be whole or in parts.

Pork Ribs: Ribs may be spare ribs, St. Louis cut pork ribs, or baby back ribs. The ribs must include the bone. Country style ribs are prohibited.

Pork: Pork shall be Boston butt, picnic and/or whole shoulder weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. It can have the bone in or bone out. No pork loin, pork tenderloin, pork chop or other type of pork roast is permitted.

Brisket: Brisket may only be beef brisket. It may be whole (packer trimmed), flat or point. No other beef product may be substituted for the brisket. Corned beef is not allowed.

Thank you again for providing this valuable service of ensuring the safety and fairness of this contest!

The Kansas City Barbeque Society
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
Jambo -- The Orange Monster
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

The comp we just went to (our first so take it as you may) they looked to make sure it was on ice and that it was not seasoned and the only thing the looked closly at was the ribs for some reason and they were still in cryovac packaging.. then they wanted to see fire extiguisher ash bucket thremometer wash bins and bleach. took about 2 min total.
Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
You might want to make sure you have a thermometer in the cooler or close by. I believe that is a requirement.

That is just in the NEBS land and also I have run in to that down in New Mexico. But NEBS contests, they always check for wash tubs, bleach, thermometer and fire extinguisher...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I have only had one inspector ever give me a hard time and it was because we were vending.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

So Danish ribs and pastrami are legal?

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Jeff-

I'll be there. If you have any questions once you get there, just find me. Looks like you got your question answered already about the inspection.

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, FAB, Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team) and BBQ Bob’s Hav’n a BBQ
Special thanks to Snake River Farms for the their support as well.
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #15
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bride of Roo(BQ'n) View Post
Its funny, of all the minutia rules KCBS has for things, there is LITTLE guidance on meat inspection. At our contest I make sure the meat is in original packaging unseasoned, if trimmed, I look a little closer. I also make sure the meat is at safe temps (visually no thermometer). Believe it or not I also take a glance at what else it around, ie if I see cooked versions of the comp meats I ask....and they better say thats lunch or supper!!
Um, you won't see any of my comp meat in the original packaging this weekend. Everything is trimmed and recryovac'd.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote