The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
Chipper
is one Smokin' Farker

Default White Bone

I heard that some of the "seasoned" judges look at the rib bones after a bite to see how quickly they turn white.
I'd love to know why that would matter (if it does) and what it means.
Weber Smokey Mountain
Kamado #7
[URL="http://www.redlionspicyfoods.com"]www.bigchippersbbq.com[/URL]

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHARLE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

more than anything else, means that it was cooked long enough, properly.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

From the CD that is played at every judge's meeting; these are the KCBS guidelines for competition ribs.
Judging pork ribs can be very subjective. However, when judging competition ribs you
must consider a few factors. When sampling a properly cooked contest rib the area of the
meat where the bite is taken should be pulled cleanly from the bone with very little effort.
The exposed bone of a well cooked rib will often dry immediately. Ribs should be moist,
flavorful and possess good texture. They can be presented with or without sauce. Ribs
may be presented in single or multi bone presentation. Any questions should be directed
to the KCBS Contest Representative. When a rib is overcooked most or all of the meat
comes off the bone when sampled. Additionally the meat of an overcooked rib has a
tendency to be mushy and have a poor texture.
Weber Genesis gasser
KCBS Master CBJ; KCBS 100+ Club
Certified Table Captain
MIM Certified Judge
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

I never heard it described as turning white. What I did hear was that older judges would look to see how quickly the bone dried out. Some would even wear a watch with a second hand to time it. Every once in a while you will see a judge look at his watch when sampling ribs. The drying time was a guage used to determine doneness. I believe they shy away from teaching new judges that way. Although I don't think they discourage older judges for still using it.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

White or dry bones and meat not all falling off when bitten were just a couple of things that were only Ed Roith's opinion. Somehow it became part of the judging process. Best I remember it was never something that was officially adopted.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

So let me get this strait: Judges are suggested to look at the bone to judge ribs? I would think that the meat would be the subject of judging.
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
Lake Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
So let me get this strait: Judges are suggested to look at the bone to judge ribs? I would think that the meat would be the subject of judging.
No. However, if you go to bite the meat or pull it from the bone and it
comes off cleanly with only a little resistance, then the bone will turn
white. Why they're timing how long it takes is beyond me. Most take
about a minute to turn white...
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
No. However, if you go to bite the meat or pull it from the bone and it
comes off cleanly with only a little resistance, then the bone will turn
white. Why they're timing how long it takes is beyond me. Most take
about a minute to turn white...
I agree that it doesn't make sense to time how long it takes to dry. If it pulls cleanly it will dry. The amount of time it takes to dry could be affected by numerous variables having nothing to do with the tenderness of the meat, namely--ambient humidity, temperature and wind speed.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I can understand the pull from the bone being important, but my opinion, such as it is, is that any judge, seasoned or not, who is seen staring at the the bone to determine rib scores should get a talking to from the TC or Rep. Judge the meat. Am I off base here?
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
Lake Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
I can understand the pull from the bone being important, but my opinion, such as it is, is that any judge, seasoned or not, who is seen staring at the the bone to determine rib scores should get a talking to from the TC or Rep. Judge the meat. Am I off base here?
No, you're not off base. Luckily I personally haven't seen anyone judge
a bone... But, it is a tell-tale sign that it was cooked properly.