ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-02-2003, 03:20 PM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4
Default Make friends with the Tree man!!!

When people have asked where they can get wood, I always respond to them to make friends with the neighborhood tree man. These guys are more than happy to sell off the wood they cut as opposed to throwin it in the chipper. I've gotten an unlimited supply of oak this way. Also when available, cherry and maple plus a bunch of others.

Heres why....listen to attached. This was a message on my answering machine this morning.

The "yellow tree" refered to is that cotten candy wood we've used. Still not completely sure what it is. All this stuff will be here within a few days, usually I get a whole pickup truck loaded full. Delivered and stacked for 80 bucks.

Not a bad deal... So i say it again guys!

Make friends with the Treeman!
Attached Files
File Type: wav treeman_512.wav (479.2 KB, 37 views)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-02-2003, 03:25 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Phil,

I hate you!

:D :D :D

Actually, they are trimming the oaks around the office this week -- sure wish I'd thought to bring my saw today!!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-02-2003, 04:10 PM   #3
parrothead

Damn the number cuts off too soon. I was gonna call and offer him an extra 20 bucks on top of phil's. Oh Well. I have my own tree guy that is gonna give me a couple of free loads of hickory for giving him tons of word of mouth business. Plus all my neighbors now know that I will help them cut down their trees in exchange for the wood.

But yes, definately make friends with the tree guy.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-02-2003, 04:12 PM   #4
chad

Unfortunately about all I can use around here is oak and I've got all the oak I need in my yard or in the neighborhood. Need to talk with my uncle though -- he's got some low chill apples and grapes over at his place -- hmmm!! :D

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker

Unread 10-02-2003, 04:17 PM   #5
chad

Anne and I are visiting friends in New Hampshire towards the end of October -- maybe I can scarf some wood from our friends woodpile :D "Excuse me dear, I have to go to the post office -- no need to carry our souveniers home through security." :D Come home to a couple of 30# boxes of firewood!

Unread 10-03-2003, 08:32 AM   #6
stlmike
On the road to being a farker

I was recently was asked if I wanted to come over and cut down a dead cherry tree in a friend's back yard. Turned out that the tree's trunk was 18" across. Most of the branches and limbs are cut and stacked behind my house. I cut the trunk into 2' sections and rolled them out of the way.
StL Mike
stlmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-03-2003, 09:00 AM   #7
parrothead

rolled them out of the way? where too? I'll take them.

American Picker Blog

Unread 10-03-2003, 09:02 AM   #8
chad

Somehow I think he means he rolled them "out of sight" so nobody would "walk off" with 'em. :D

Unread 10-04-2003, 01:37 PM   #9
cheez
Full Fledged Farker

I try to get cherry, apple, etc. from friends when I can, and otherwise look to buy wood when I need it. The wife really likes a fire in the fireplace when it gets colder (she's had one going the last 2 nights), so I go throuhg quite a bit of wood. I called a number I found in the paper the other day, and the lady says "$30 a pickup truck load". I asked, like and 8-foot bed, standard pickup? she said whatever you bring. Told her, ok, I'll call you back when I can get a buddy with a truck. Then she says "or he can deliver it". How much more is that? "$10.... $40 total, delivered and stacked" I said "have him bring it Saturday!"

The guy was here a couple hours ago. I have a rack that holds a bonafide half a cord. Filled that rack, actually overstacked it a bit, and stacked probably another 1/4 cord next to it, so I got nearly a cord of oak, maple and a bit of cherry for $40. Gonna have to call him again!
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2003, 02:02 PM   #10
BBQchef33

thats a deal and a half!! i paid 80 bucks a truck load, but its BIG stuff. Trunks sections are 12-16 inches across. I cut them into 3 and 7 inch wheels and split them for small split logs and chunks. The Yellow wood that we habve been calling "cotten candy" seems to be MullBerry. He said the owner of the trees told him thats what they are. this time, the majority of the load was that stuff.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 10-06-2003, 08:49 AM   #11
stlmike
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
I was recently was asked if I wanted to come over and cut down a dead cherry tree in a friend's back yard. Turned out that the tree's trunk was 18" across. Most of the branches and limbs are cut and stacked behind my house. I cut the trunk into 2' sections and rolled them out of the way.
StL Mike
Your right, I rolled them out of the way, back into the brush, out of sight. I know where they are when I want to go back. The guy's backyard is about an acre, all wooded. Problem is that he is moving. The son bought the house, but I think I get along with him well enough to be able to go back when I want to.
StL Mike
stlmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2006, 12:14 PM   #12
BBQchef33

Had to resurrect this old thread to enforce it once again... its an FAQ we get often and my old friend showed up today.. Listen to the wav file in the first post..

MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE TREE MAN!!

Domingo showed up about an hour ago out of the blue with a pickup full of wood. .. dumped a load of apple and hickory in the driveway. 40 bucks delivered.. he offered to stack it, but no room yet, and i need to get out an get some air anyway. beautiful day here today.. feels like 50 degrees.

Gotta love these guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0267.JPG (160.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0268.JPG (166.7 KB, 104 views)

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 01-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #13
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Gotta hand it to ya Phil. Is there anyone you don't know?

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #14
Jeff_in_KC

Wait a minute... this is SCRAP wood from stuff they cut down and would just chip anyway to haul to the dump and they're CHARGING you to take it and not have to do the labor to chip and get rid of it? Am I missing something here because to me, $40 doesn't seem like such a good deal. Compared to buying it commercially, yeah, but seems you're doing them a favor by just taking it in the first place.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #15
parrothead

Delivery charge basically

American Picker Blog