The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-30-2003, 07:44 AM   #16
willkat98
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I do a pack of bone in chicken breast each and every time I smoke.

I put them right under the heat shield.

I'm not sure you cooked them long enough. I have them in for around 3 hours, then with an instant read, I consistently get 180* right at the 3 hour mark, keeping a chamber temp of around 240*

Maybe the marinade was too long.

I never marinade chicken, cause the skin seems to lock out alot of the flavor. Won't hesitate with beef or pork, but rarely ever do I do chicken that way.

And watch those tips of the chicken breasts. They dry out the fastest.

Keep spraying too!

"Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants..." - Maxwell

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2003, 12:23 PM   #17
badger
Bash lurker

Downloads: 2

Damn, I am 29 years young and I still do not know anything about breasts! :)

Chicken breasts have always been my down fall, and my wife always wants them even after I fark them up everytime.

These breasts were were small boneless, skinless tits. So I know they were cooked throughly.

The problems: they were kind of mushy, the ones I rubbed with the black So Fla were unedible. The garlic ones were edible.

What I have learned from this:

1. Do not marinate chicken boobs (what about chicken quaters? or is it chicken in general?)
2. Rubbing them a couple hours before cooking in enough
3. Know you seasoning and meat before you rub it!

Thanks guys.
NB Bandera - modded.
Unknown Offset Horizontal- Looking for my babies daddy!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2003, 12:27 PM   #18
badger
Bash lurker

Downloads: 2

David,

I did not mean to take over this thread, I just figured that since we were on the subject of turkey and chicken breasts...

BTW,

Is there any awards givin out for "Rookie of the year"? If so... bring on your worst rookies and I will show them how to properly FARK up Q. :)
NB Bandera - modded.
Unknown Offset Horizontal- Looking for my babies daddy!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2003, 12:29 PM   #19
willkat98

My experience with boneless chicken breasts or thin pork chops:

In 1 hour, you got jerky.

I have never smoked these again. I go for those big honking Hooter type bone in chicken breasts, then bone side down, low and slow.

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven

Unread 09-30-2003, 12:37 PM   #20
Oldtimer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
Damn, I am 29 years young and I still do not know anything about breasts! :)
You learn less about breasts with age, at least I have.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2003, 01:27 PM   #21
david
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I did not mean to take over this thread, I just figured that since we were on the subject of turkey and chicken breasts...
You were the only one on the subject of breasts :) But it's always acceptable to veer off in that direction.
2009: well, you'd need to actually go fishing to have stats :(
2008: David 0, Steelhead 1
2007: David 0, Steelhead 2
david is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2003, 02:23 PM   #22
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
The problems: they were kind of mushy, the ones I rubbed with the black So Fla were unedible. The garlic ones were edible.

What I have learned from this:

1. Do not marinate chicken boobs (what about chicken quaters? or is it chicken in general?)
2. Rubbing them a couple hours before cooking in enough
3. Know you seasoning and meat before you rub it!

Thanks guys.

first... yes u can marinade.. just be careful..

They were mushy cause ya marinaded in oil and salt.

Salt opens up the cells in the meat. Its Brining, not marinading. When the cellss open up, they absorb whatever is around them, thats why brined birds are so juicy, and take on the flavor of the brine, they absorbed the moisture into the cells. Add some flavor, like maple syrup and ya got great bird.

Oil tends to break down fat. Try soaking a piece of fat in oil over night, and the next thing ya got is mushy, nearly dissolved fat. I left a steak in oil and garlic over night and it turned into pat-tay(however you spell that).

so, you double wammy-ed. You opened up the cells to absorb.. so they absorbed oil and the chicken started dissolving. hence.. Mush.

I always marinade bonless boobs, for an hour, no more, in wishbone italian dressing, and a little additional garlic and oregano. Usually, i'll vcook them on the warming rack of my grill. make the grill hot, like 500 degrees, then put the boobs on the top warming rack and turn the burners down to low. they cook in about 20-30 mins and stay juicy.

If Im doin alot, and BBQ anyway, I'll do them in the HONDO(read.. your new Klose), done in about an hour, cook close to the heat side.

In the bandera I cook them, 3nd from bottom rack, no water pan, no more than an hour for thick ones. Turning once and spray often.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2003, 10:44 PM   #23
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

I did a 22 lb Butterball turkey last year sitting on a cast iron "Chicken Rocket" full of apple Juice and a sitck of butter with foil still on it (slows down melt) stuffed into the neck cavaity above the breasts . Sprayed with apple juice, honey and soy. It was great. Pics are on the old site.

This year I am going to modify the Bandera by adding the rotissary from my old grill and won't waste the time to brine because frozen Butterball turkeys don't need it, it is part of their proceesing. :D

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2003, 09:47 PM   #24
TedWagner
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've made turkey in the bandera a few times. My approach has been to keep it simple. I usually buy about 8lb turkeys w/o the wings & legs...so mostly white meat. Last time all I did was shake garlic pepper on the bird just before putting it in the smoker - turned out great. My trick is to wrap the bird in a cloth, then baste the cloth with water as you cook, keeps the bird nice and moist. If you want golden skin, just remove the wrap for the last hr. I have an injector, but have yet to use it.
TedWagner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-12-2003, 09:47 PM   #25
TedWagner
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've made turkey in the bandera a few times. My approach has been to keep it simple. I usually buy about 8lb turkeys w/o the wings & legs...so mostly white meat. Last time all I did was shake garlic pepper on the bird just before putting it in the smoker - turned out great. My trick is to wrap the bird in a cloth, then baste the cloth with water as you cook, keeps the bird nice and moist. If you want golden skin, just remove the wrap for the last hr. I have an injector, but have yet to use it.
TedWagner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2003, 09:17 AM   #26
willkat98

Had the turkey breast last night from this weekends WSM "bake"

It was awesome. Left it wrapped in foil, heated in an inch of water in a casserole dish for an hour.

Nice and moist.

Tonight we plow into a pork loin from that same Q

Unread 10-16-2003, 09:23 AM   #27
Oldtimer
is one Smokin' Farker

You ever do butts or just a loin type of guy ? Got a butt in the freezer looking for a excuse to break in that Dream Land Sauce.

Unread 10-16-2003, 09:24 AM   #28
willkat98

I have never tried a pork butt. I certainly want to, but I can't seem to find them.

Fark, I can't even get a briskett.

Unread 10-16-2003, 09:40 AM   #29
david
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Tonight we plow into a pork loin from that same Q
You ever going to post the loin recipe of yours?
Quote:
I have never tried a pork butt. I certainly want to, but I can't seem to find them.
I haven't tried it, but you could buy 7lbs of "country style" pork ribs, and stack them up and tie with string. These are usually just strips of shoulder and should have plenty of fat.

As an added bonus: You could rub each rib before hand and get plenty of rub down into your "shoulder" that way.
2009: well, you'd need to actually go fishing to have stats :(
2008: David 0, Steelhead 1
2007: David 0, Steelhead 2
david is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2003, 09:50 AM   #30
Oldtimer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98

Fark, I can't even get a briskett.
If you ever go South of Sprinfield it should be easy to get, hell southeren part of the state is all hog farms, at leaset 23 years ago.