BGE Ceramic Ring

Bill-Chicago

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Had the ring break into two pieces yesterday. Clean break nearly in half.

Noticed that I got a crack between two of the holes in the fire box as well.

How long does the ring typically last?

Just when I started to get a little fire control going, bam, I break the damn thing.

Still works fine, just careful when adding the platesetter so as to not shift one of the two ring pieces into the Egg wall and fark with the air flow.

As far as the fire box goes, as long as it holds together, I see a crack as being no more than a long hole. I have had no issues whatsoever with the additional air flow on my MBGE. I don't see why the ring crack would affect anything either.

I don't see why the ring crack would affect anything either.

Thats what I figured.

The two pieces fit snug right back together, so I should be fine.

I guess I'll wait till I totally trash it before replacing.

I was just a little surprised I guess.

If you are the original owner and bought from a dealer you have a lifetime warranty. If not, I have read about some guys using "JB Weld" for repairs.

NUTZ

Just call your local distributor, if you are the original owner they should replace it.

i've never had a fire ring break.
congrats!
what temp?

, if you are the original owner they should replace it.

Not the original owner.

Proud recipient of the one of the greatest Brethren gifts ever!!

i've never had a fire ring break.
congrats!
what temp?

Yesterday shot up to around 600* or so.

I have used it about 7 or so times this summer with how crappy the weather has been and how busy it got.

But each time, its been a battle to get temps stable. Many times I have it shoot from 300* to 600+ in minutes because I've either left the bottom door open too much on a windy day, or left the daisy wheel off top to clear white smoke. (I have the older daisy that does not have the slider like yours RTD).

I'm planning on hitting a Eggfest next week to learn how to use the thing better, maybe pick up a spare ring.

On the plus side, I used your paper towel drizzled oil to light thread and it worked flawlessly. But the "hair dryer to get it going" (my normal route on the Bandera, WSM, and Kettle) probably heated it too fast or something.

Thing was still 300* over two hours after shutting down the vent and closing the daisy wheel last night (I do not have just the cap cover)

Live and learn I guess.

i missed the whole gift thread in d&r. :icon_blush:

i cracked my medium firebox with the a chicken thigh fat fire like this:

9mar07-013.jpg

ya gots to be careful with letting it run wide open cause it doesn't take long for blue flames to be shooting out the dome like a jet engine. then when ya damper it down the flashbacks happen if you open it too soon.

firerings and fireboxes are regular warranty replacement items. see if you can get a firering at a discount at the eggfest or tell them you are tonto's son or something. :biggrin:

LOL Rick, that picture looks like my first few attempts!!!

I need to follow some of your "timed tutorials" and adjust to a medium. I think, rather I know, I'm letting it get out of control in short order, then fighting choking it back and getting the bad smoke I'm trying to eliminate in the first place.

Sorry to hear about the ring Bill. I've had my large for 3 or 4 years now, and have had no cracking of the firebox or ring, although I have heard of quite a few fireboxes that cracked or broke. I think I am about due for a new gasket, but other than that no probs. Guess I'm just lucky.

I still think it's best to always start slow and low and open up a little at a time so you don't have huge temp swings. As you've found out, it's harder to get the temps down in a BGE than it is to get them up!

mine cracked the first month i had it. No problems.. same as you, i figure i'll replace it when it disintegrates. happened pushing it to 700.

My only question from that thread was wether Big George BBQ went to that Eggfest, and did he ever purchase his Egg. He's got like 6 days left in his "end of the Summer" statement.

Last I read he hadn't... Something came up

I'd give JB Weld a shot. It worked wonders on my plate setter (broken by me, not a warranty issue).

LOL Rick, that picture looks like my first few attempts!!!

I need to follow some of your "timed tutorials" and adjust to a medium. I think, rather I know, I'm letting it get out of control in short order, then fighting choking it back and getting the bad smoke I'm trying to eliminate in the first place.

the medium is pretty much like the large, except it can get to temp faster because of the shape of the firebox and the smaller amount of ceramic mass. go by the temps, not the time in those threads.

if shooting for 250, don't let it get above 350.
if shooting for >600, stabilize at 400 first for about 15 minutes, then crank it up

a lot of it depends on the type of lump charcoal and lighting method.
the worst thing you can do it light it wide open and go in the house. you will get distracted and by the time you make it back to the egg, it is too late and out of control. take a beer with you when you light it and stay there until you have a nice fire established and set the dampers for your target temp. with the old style metal top with no slider, i'd try it without the top and control with the bottom draft door only for any cook except a 250 low-n-slow. try a block of wood instead of a metal top like thillin uses on his mini.
:biggrin:

Back