oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Question The wrong answer?

I've had a few complaints lately from a few poeple stopping to get food later in the evening. Basically, after I've sold out before 10pm on Fri. and Sat Nights. I list as being open til 10 pm.

When asked why I don't cook more food next time, I replied that I like to keep my food somewhat exclusive. I WANTED to say I won't simply have more food on hand to sell to a few stragglers that may or may not come in.

Did I react well, or am I losing business because I simply won't up the amounts of food I am cooking?

Let me add: I am very comfortable with the reciepts I have right now. Everything is manageable. I don't want my business to expand too much right away.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
baldbill
Full Fledged Farker

I would say you are correct in your responce. I would rather produce a quality product that is managable to do than to increase productivity and decrease the quality. If you are happy with your reciepts then progress at a rate you feel comfortable with. Disclaimer- any misspellings do not count I am an Auburn Graduate. WARRR EAGLE

baldbill- slinging wood in the neighborhood
baldbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Kevin

Exclusive may be a poor choice of words, it could be construed that you wish to exclude some customers from your offerings. Maybe just convey the message that you wish to have only fresh offerings for your clientele.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not in the business, but as a customer if I came in before close and was told sorry, no food for you. I may not come back and would tell everyone I knew about the service. You may have very good food but if it was my 1st visit and got the sorry response it would make me think twice about ever going again.

From a business standpoint, I would account for how many customers are straggling in and decide if some profits were being lost.

Now if we are talking a total of 2 customers then it sounds like you have it down, with the advice from Kevin.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
afreemaniii
Full Fledged Farker

Maybe change to your sign to "open until 10 or when the food runs out." There are plenty of great bbq joints that only cook so much each day and when it's gone, it's gone. People will learn to get there early if they want some of your food.

Gear:
1-BWS Party
1-22.5" WSM
Guru Pitminder and Stoker system
afreemaniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
txschutte

Simple. Close at 9.

These few are people that live in Cozad, it's usually the same ones every couple of weeks. Sometimes they get in to buy a bit earlier, sometimes they're arsed out.

They buy, they buy not in huge numbers, maybe a sammie and soda, no meals or full racks. They love the q. Maybe a bump in 1 butt in the weekend and a rack wouldn't hurt.

Thanks, guys. I need to hear the customers side once in a while.

I have a tendency to treat them like BBQ judges sometimes (according to Mrs tx)

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by afreemaniii View Post
Maybe change to your sign to "open until 10 or when the food runs out." There are plenty of great bbq joints that only cook so much each day and when it's gone, it's gone. People will learn to get there early if they want some of your food.
^^^^^^
thats theres what I was gonna say.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

I would echo Aubrey -- add the "or until the Que is gone" -- if they need an explanation, tell them that good quality Que, takes time to complete, and you cook the amount that will allow you to produce the highest quality product each day.

If they are worried about a late pick-up, you might offer them a pre-order, since it sounds like you know their buying habits.

Keep on kickin butt!!!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
BBQ Grail

Anyone showing up at 10:00pm should know Wyatt's in bed by then.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:03 AM   #10
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post

If they are worried about a late pick-up, you might offer them a pre-order, since it sounds like you know their buying habits.

Keep on kickin butt!!!
There is your answer.

If they stiff you after placing their order for the following week, ask for the $ up front the next time.

Pineland Liberator

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:49 AM   #11
Bigmista

We encourage our customers to call if they plan on coming later in the day and we will set something aside for them. That way, if they don't call it's their loss.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:09 AM   #12
Mutha Chicken BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
We encourage our customers to call if they plan on coming later in the day and we will set something aside for them. That way, if they don't call it's their loss.
That is the way I hande it. If you call before noon I garuntee I have your food for you at the time you request. After 2pm it's a crap shoot. Course I close at 6pm, or when I sell out. ( so you methods may vary) I can only do 120 racks a day and they are almost all spoken for by 2pm. I always keep 6 racks set aside for those just in case customers. Makes me look good by makin a big deal out of trying to make something happen for them.

KCBS CBJ
Mutha Chicken BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #13
Bbq Bubba

My sign says I'm open till 6 or until sold out!
If its happening a lot, your losing money.I push flyers & cards stating call ahead & pre orders are accepted, works great!
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #14
CROSSCZEK
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
My sign says I'm open till 6 or until sold out!
If its happening a lot, your losing money.I push flyers & cards stating call ahead & pre orders are accepted, works great!
I'm not in the selling business either, but I am in the buying business.
If I saw a sign that said "Open till 6 or till sold out" I would have to respect that good Q takes a while to create, it's not just something you whip up or want to sell left overs of the next day. Add in that with a simple call, you'll set something aside for pick-up, that adds a personal touch and says you'll go out of your way for them. You may soon find you're knowing more and more customers by name. Most everybody's got a cell phone these days, and it's not like they forget that dinner happens every night.

That's my opinion, worth price charged.
-scott

[I]Custom built 8' long, 36" dia reverse flow stick burner (The Green Monster)[/I],[I]250 gallon tank grill[/I]
[I]Jenn-Air Gasser[/I], UDS Finally done!
[I]Proud father of two.[/I]
[I]Member GLBBQA[/I]
[I]CBJ# 55381[/I]
CROSSCZEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #15
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Coming from both sides of the fence, I have noticed that BBQ Joints (or whatever we want to call it) is the only part of the trade that has "Or until sold out" as a closing time. Now those of us in the biz understand why this is. But to the average consumer this may not be acceptable and may give them a reason to move on. I am not condoning this thought process, but I can see where they would be coming from.

Of course this is all hypothetical on my part and may never happen...
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Ranch Kettle,Weber Performerl
Certified Moink Baller
President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote