The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #16
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
One of the keys to temp control with an Egg is to be patient. One local veteran told me to "trust the Egg" and not chase the temperatures. Once you get it stabilized it will want to return to that temp after you open it or add meat, etc. Resist the temptation to change your vent settings after opening or adding meat. The temp wil drop because you let heat out or added a cold mass, but it will recover in 10 - 15 minutes. Trust the Egg.
True Dat...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2009, 05:41 AM   #17
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

Downloads: 0

you didn't tell us how you were starting the lump. when i use the weedburner, i close the dome right after using the weed burner to get the draft developed. in the thread i posted, i was baking a pizza so i let the egg get up to 400-450 first, then opened the draft to get to 550. if you are lighting for a low-n-slow, the procedure is a little bit different. if you overshoot your target temp and let it run for too long, it will take longer to come down to your target. if you choke the dampers down when you see 250, you run the risk of the fire going out because not enough lump gets lit and the ceramic isn't heated all the was through yet. for a 250 target temp, initially get a good 300-325 fire going, then choke it down to 250.
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #18
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Just my 2 cents,

I use a MAPP torch to start mine. If I'm doing indirect (with plate setter) I just start up a spot right in the middle of the egg. when a small area of coals is going, I close the lid. I leave the bottom vent open about 1/2" and the top daisy wheel open about 1/4-3/8"

After about 10 minutes, I will adjust as needed, a little at a time. The thing to remember, to me anyway is it's EASY to heat an egg up, but much trickier to cool it down. I've had mine run 14-15 hours with no guru/stoker etc.

For high heat I just toss in 1/3 to 1/2 chimney lit, and open it up

But like a weber kettle, it always cooks better with the lid closed.
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote