First Spatch on the Egg

L

ljh34465

Brined for 5 hours - 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup Kosher salt, Tbsp black pepper corns, water to cover. (Dissolve salt and sugar in about 2 C water over heat, let cool, add chicken and peppercorns and water to cover) A heavy soup bowl inverted helps keep them submerged.

Generous dose of Yardbird on and under the skin:

spatch001.jpg

Egg stabilized at 350 set up for indirect:

spatch002.jpg

spatch003edit.jpg

after 30 mins (approx):
spatch005edit.jpg

Pulled at 160 breast, 170 thigh - total about 50 minutes:

spatch008edit.jpg

Nice and juicy - picture says it all - that is not butter on the plate:

spatch010edit.jpg

Nice looking birds! You need a drip pan on that platesetter!

Tummy is grumbling already. This is going to be a long day with all this great pron I see posted. And this was my first pron thread of the day!:shock: My waistline is in deep trouble.

That is some Great looking bird there, as I am a breast-man, I'll have one Breast please. I have some doctered bbq beans left-over from yesterday, that I added the leftover pulled pork-loin scraps, that's my lunch, but all this Pron this morning is really making me hungry......

Did my first spatch last week and love it! I think I need to find a new home for my poor vertical chicken roaster...not sure if/why I would use it again.

Now I'm just wondering if the Med BGE is big enough to spatch a turkey...

geez Rick, sometimes you are just overwhelmingly effusive:mrgreen:

Kettledog - just working my way through my first bag of BGE lump - have some RO lump to try next.

Singingwolf - my grate on the large is 18" and two chickens pretty much filled it up from one side to another - I think the medium is 15" and it might be a tight fit for all but a really small turkey. But I am a newbie to an egg - maybe some of the "old timers" can chime in:confused:

Singingwolf - my grate on the large is 18" and two chickens pretty much filled it up from one side to another - I think the medium is 15" and it might be a tight fit for all but a really small turkey. But I am a newbie to an egg - maybe some of the "old timers" can chime in:confused:

Yeah, I'm dealing with that 15" with minimum grace sometimes.

Once I managed to cram 2 5lb beer chickens and 6 ears of corn into that sucker - all at the same time...and wouldn't let anyone else get close to the egg for fear it would explode. :lol: (Why yes, I was ready to catch the corn as it fell out when I opened the lid.)

Don't think I want to repeat the experience.

Back