ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-09-2003, 10:22 AM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4
Default A present from Dave Klose

Got a present from Mr Klose yesterday. Helped him out with some techno-weenie stuff and he sent me a thankyou gift for my Backyard Chef.

6 sets of stainless steal ribracks and a Klose design Charcoal basket.

This basket runs the charcoal in an "S". I'll call him later to get the details, but i guess ya just fill the channels and then light the very end with a torch or hots coals. Dimensions are 16X14x9, not sure if it fits the Bandera. Weight is 68 lbs. Solid 3/8" plate on all 4 sides, and 3/8 or 1/2" angle around all the edges. Has doubled layer of super heavy gauge expanded steel in the bottom(not the HD stuff we use, but the stuff he uses in his fireboxes). Not sure the $$$ he sells these for, will find out.

Will mostly likley give it the trial run at B2.

Still gonna try Al's in the bandera as soon as the divider arrives. Got another eyeround waiting for it.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2003, 11:02 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

OOOH, AHHH!! Solid.

Looks like Al's on the right path with the double wall divider.

Really looking forward to breaking everything in at B2 :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2003, 11:06 AM   #3
david
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like DK stole Al's idea for the double wall dividers :)

Al- your gonna hafta sue him now... or maybe just steal his design for your next box.
2009: well, you'd need to actually go fishing to have stats :(
2008: David 0, Steelhead 1
2007: David 0, Steelhead 2
david is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2003, 11:16 AM   #4
StLouQue

Downloads:
Uploads:

That basket is a monster. So the BYC firebox is tall enough that Klose doesn't require expanded metal on the basket's sides? Can you add fuel without lifting the firebox lid? What are the dimensions on those rib racks?

Nice reward, Phil.

Unread 09-09-2003, 11:16 AM   #5
stlmike
On the road to being a farker

Phil,
How much did DK space between the plates? From the picture, it looks like an inch or so.
StL Mike
stlmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2003, 11:32 AM   #6
BBQchef33

racks are 9" wide, 10.5 long at the base, but because they are at an angle, they are a total of 12" long. So 12x9.

The airpace between the plates is exactly 1 inch, and the plate is 1/4 inch steel.

Im concerned that since Al needed a full inch to clear the rebar in his double divider that it may be too much and stop ignition of the coals instead of just slowing it. Think half inch to 5/8 would be sufficent. Testing again...

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 09-09-2003, 11:46 AM   #7
Davewey
On the road to being a farker

Can we get a shot of it mid burn 1/2 way through. Also let me see if I under stand the hole basket thing hear. You start off with wood, for the first few hours then make the switch to lump. i.e. I know you are still using wood in the process but how and when?

Thanks

Unread 09-09-2003, 06:51 PM   #8
BBQchef33

The whole purpose of the basket is to extend burn times to let you sleep or run attended for a bit. You can use some wood chunks mixed in with the charcoal to get smoke if you like. Its up to you how you use it. Your can start with it from the beginning, or go with wood at the beginning and then switch to he basket.. however you need. But the basket can still give you smoke with chunks if you use it from the start.

I haven't had luck using lump in a basket thought, they are really best used with kingsford.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 09-09-2003, 09:23 PM   #9
nthole
Babbling Farker

DAYUM...that is one solid looking piece of basket!

So we get to break that in at B2 you say!!!
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2003, 09:25 PM   #10
willkat98
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

And those racks can hold alot of pickles

"Bitch..." - Jessie Pinkman

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2003, 09:36 PM   #11
nthole
Babbling Farker

you go away for a couple weeks cause you are so busy and you miss a lot.

the pickle thing...woosh, right over my head.

And all you guys are like 100 posts and are Sgt Q or something. I'm like nothing. I'm going to start a topic and reply to myself 100 times....
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2003, 10:09 PM   #12
fivelombardis
is one Smokin' Farker

Phil,

how do you get the air to circulate enough to keep this basket lit? i can see where there seems to be a "double" grate at the bottom...is this enough to keep it off the floor of the firebox somehow? i guess if i wanted one of these for wood burning, i wouldn't need the spacers/dividers right?

robert
fivelombardis is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2003, 01:18 AM   #13
BBQchef33

this sits on the firegrate in the firebox. not on the firebox floor. The grate is 2 layers of 9 gauge expanded steel welded to 2 - 2 inch flats of steel standing on edge. that grate is on rails, so its about 5-6 inchs off the floor.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 09-11-2003, 10:40 PM   #14
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivelombardis
Phil,

how do you get the air to circulate enough to keep this basket lit? i can see where there seems to be a "double" grate at the bottom...is this enough to keep it off the floor of the firebox somehow? i guess if i wanted one of these for wood burning, i wouldn't need the spacers/dividers right?

robert
I made my dividers removable so that wood logs could be used also. My divider will fit between any of the rebars for adjusting size to match what heat is needed for what you are cooking. Rebar spacing of 1/2 inch gives a long burn time for each coal, rather than falling through expanded metal too soon.

Wonder how much it will cost to ship @ 68lbs? UPS has 70lbs weight limit!

My basket and single divider shipped to Phil, UPS billable weight = $29.00
and dual divider was 10lb billable weight = $11.22

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2003, 10:47 PM   #15
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
racks are 9" wide, 10.5 long at the base, but because they are at an angle, they are a total of 12" long. So 12x9.

The airpace between the plates is exactly 1 inch, and the plate is 1/4 inch steel.

Im concerned that since Al needed a full inch to clear the rebar in his double divider that it may be too much and stop ignition of the coals instead of just slowing it. Think half inch to 5/8 would be sufficent. Testing again...
Air gap is 13/16 between my plates. If it stops self lighting, I have a fix in mind.....awaiting your long burn test results.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote