THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Anybody catch last night's episode? He went to a BBQ joint in Portland, OR named "Podnah's Pit", owned by a guy originally from Texas. One of the few times they had a guy who actually seemed to know BBQ.
Only uses salt, pepper and cayenne on his briskets, and it looked like he even wraps them in pink butcher paper. Smokes them using an oak wood fire at 250 till tender.
He also has lamb ribs on his menu. Says he got the idea from a city in Texas named Gonzales that is known for their lamb ribs (I think that's what he said). He also smoked some trout. Interesting place.
http://www.podnahspit.com/

I have to admit, I really like that show..I have found many great recipes (things I would have never though to of tried) and most have been very, very good. They have had several BBQ places featured on there (in KC, st louis, NC) that were very good as well.

Hmmm. Next time I'm heading for Cuero, I'll have to stop in Gonzales and ask around.

I googled "Gonzales Texas" and "Lamb Ribs" and found a few mentions of Gonzales Food Market and their lamb ribs.
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/90160

"In sum, I've put the Gonzalez market in my second tier of Texas barbuce places along with John Mueller's in Austin, Southside in Elgin, and Country Tavern in Kilgore. I'm not sure how often I'm going to get down there, but when I get a hankering for those lamb ribs, you can bet I'll be down there. Yum. For the record, my first tier consists of Louis Mueller's, Coopers, Kreuz, and Luling in that order."

Podnah's is highly thought of around here.

It is consistently ranked at or near the top of BBQ restaurants in this area. I have not been there yet, but it is on the list.

Well there Bassbuster,,seeing that your down the street and around the corner a ways, you'll have to make it a point to stop in there and give the Brethern here a blow by blow account about your visit, hopefully with some pron of the place, Thanks in advance.......

guy is a good dude im in cali .. we have met him and eat at his place he is down to earth and loves to cook ... wwe only wish we could be livin the dream one day

Anybody catch last night's episode? He went to a BBQ joint in Portland, OR named "Podnah's Pit", owned by a guy originally from Texas. One of the few times they had a guy who actually seemed to know BBQ.
Only uses salt, pepper and cayenne on his briskets, and it looked like he even wraps them in pink butcher paper. Smokes them using an oak wood fire at 250 till tender.
He also has lamb ribs on his menu. Says he got the idea from a city in Texas named Gonzales that is known for their lamb ribs (I think that's what he said). He also smoked some trout. Interesting place.
http://www.podnahspit.com/

I did see that one! The smoked trout looked tasty!

I had heard DDD was in town to see Rodney a couple months ago, nice to see it hit the TV. Bottom line is that Podnah's is the real deal. Rodney has been around town cooking up Q for about 10 years now, first started selling out of a parking lot, then at one of the Farmer's market, spent a couple years cooking on off nights at other restaurants then finally got his own place a couple years ago. His lamb ribs are out of the world so is the Prime Rib when he has it.

He took a trip down to TX for BBQ a year ago and posted a report on one of the local food boards. Here it is if you want to get a sense of who this guy and where is background is from.

http://www.portlandfood.org/index.php?showtopic=9234

I really like to watch him, too.

But!!!! Saw him cook a Pork Shoulder in the oven and use some chips in a cast iron pan for smoke.
He said you only need to smoke it for 2 hours because meat won't take on any more smoke than that.
Dumb Ass. Where did he get THAT idea?
PARTY!!!!!!

I agree with you kickassbbq IMHO pork will stop taking smoke at about the 6 hour point; 2 hours it's just getting started. Brisket on the other hand will take all the smoke you give it and that can lead to some pretty nasty Q.

That post by Leeper is really cool, since I have never been to Texas, seeing those pits up close was worth the look alone.

Back