The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Request for Advice

Now, don't misunderstand, my favorite cooking pastime is sitting out on the patio under the big pecan tree drinking Shiner Bock and babysitting the old NBBD offset with a couple of briskets or butts and some ribs. But, like many others, I have a stable of cookers including a small easily portable cast aluminum model that absolutely nails a steak, sausage, or chicken and a horizontal drum grill lovingly handmade by my late father-in-law that is killer on beer-butt chicken and ribs. All these things use charcoal and/or wood and take a while to fire up, so my spousal unit likes me to keep a gasser on hand for spur-of-the moment burgers, dogs, chicken breast, etc for supper during the week. Problem is, I just trashed my second Char-Broil Commercial 5-burner plus side after barely three years service because the cart and the inside firebox both rusted out and it would cost $350 in parts to rebuild. My family spent nearly five bills on the Char-Broil and it ticks me off that they don't hold up. Anybody have experience with a longer-lasting gas grill that I can take a look at? Thanks for any help available.
Texas Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-31-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
BruceB
Full Fledged Farker

Anything by Weber that fits your budget.

Bruce

22 1/2" WSM
2 18 1/2" WSM's
Pitmaster iQue 110
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
Weber Genesis Gasser
Treasurer, Great Lakes BBQ Association
Member Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team
KCBS/CBJ #55356
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-31-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
orangeblood
Full Fledged Farker

Find used (5-8 years old) Weber Summit Gold 6 burner. It will set you back some change but w/6 burners, an infra red rotisserie, separate smoking box burner and a side burner you can cook anything on it. Weber service is awesome.

It is a great compliment to a fleet of BBQ rigs.
orangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Weber Genesis Silver... Been using mine religiously 2-3 times per week for the last 5 years...still going strong. I wore out my first Genesis in 8 years... Any of the Weber Gassers are all outstanding and moderately priced. IMHO...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Thanks for the input, guys. I was looking at something called a "Bull" that appears to be solid stainless, from the ground up including the grates. Problem is, the things are like $2,500 which is pretty daunting. I think if I was going to spend that kind of dough, I'd be going to see David Klose about something with big wheels.
Texas Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Look on Craigslist. Lots of people downsizing to apartments and selling Gassers off cheap.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

Any of the Weber gassers. I am on my second one, first one I gave to my son, it's 10 years old and going strong.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
2 - Super FAST, Super ACCURATE Green Thermapen1 splashproof)

"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, your best friend will be sitting right beside you on the bench saying "What a Ride!" WooHoo
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
nzrebel
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue22 View Post
Any of the Weber gassers. I am on my second one, first one I gave to my son, it's 10 years old and going strong.

I have a 12 y/o webber gasser that does just fine. I've replaced the grate and "flavor bars" once, but other than that it's still a great grill.

Dave

Unread 09-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
B3
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 1

TT, I feel your pain. I've had my Char-Broil for about 12 months and I'm already seeing signs of deterioration. It was a gift though, so I cannot complain.
B3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

The Broilmaster P3 will outlast any grill. I have had mine since 1987. I replaced the burner for the first time when it was 15 years old around 2002-2003, and the second one is still going strong. It lives outside year round, thru NY winters, uncovered and aside from the wooden shelf that it came with being gone, it is still out there and working fine. New ones come with that heavy plastic stuff for the shelving. Body is cast aluminum and the rest of the grill is SS. Warranty is from 5 years on some parts to lifetime on others.

When shopping around, i thought the P3 was pricey, but the sales guy told me this will be the last grill I ever have to buy.. he was right. I have not purchased another gasser since(except for the commercial DCS just becase I wanted it).

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote