The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-01-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
in2que
On the road to being a farker

Default Trimmed brisket flat. A new discovery.

OK, I just had a great Q day. I got a trimmed brisket flat this time. Not the cry o vac full fat type. Haven't considered doing this until now. It was about 6 pounds. I cooked it for about 6 hours. It turned out great. I scraped about 2 ounces of fat off it when it was done. To me the flavor was better than a cry o vac brisket because I didn't have to scrape off all that fat and reduce the smoke flavor. Great smoke ring. It fell apart and was moist as could be. Even though it costs more, I don't think I would hesitate to do it again. It was $2 a pound vs 49 cents this weekend, but I could have gotten it at another store for $1.49. I was at Sams so what the heck.

Mark

Old 09-01-2003, 09:11 PM   #2
david
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
It was $2 a pound
Farking Hell you say :( I can't even buy a Farking packer for that :(
2009: well, you'd need to actually go fishing to have stats :(
2008: David 0, Steelhead 1
2007: David 0, Steelhead 2
david is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2003, 07:47 AM   #3
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yeah, around here (Central FL) flats run $2 - 2.25 a pound. Once in a long while they'll get down to $1.79 or so.

If/when I run across packers they are usually $1.79 or higher. I got two cases of flats back in June for $2.19 per pound and that was case-lot pricing.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2003, 08:46 AM   #4
Oldtimer
is one Smokin' Farker

Bitch Bitch Bitch
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2003, 09:18 PM   #5
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

Sometimes I trim them myself and then put the trimmins on top of the meat while it cooks. That way it is easy to separate the fat from the meat. We have also noticed that trimmed brisket does not need as much time as a whole brisket to cook. You can also save the trimmed smoked fat and put it in a big pot of water and simmer it overnight. In the morning you strain the broth and add some presoaked beans and it makes some mighty fine eatin'. Works great with beef or pork trimmins. When the beans are done you just throw in some left over meat to top it off. And of course you serve it with either Guinness or buttermilk and cornbread.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote