oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #16
Willard
Got Wood.

Smokey Bear: I'm building one using an old travel trailer as well. Waste tanks are already there, electric breaks and the shell of course.

I'm working closely with the local HD, seems many states are close in regards to there rules, but there are exceptions.

Most are similar in equipment requirements but vary on say counter surfaces, some will say a 3 compartment sink, some a 4 compartment sink, ours says 3 compartement sink big enough to immerse your largest pan in.

You can always remodel to suit if you should move. I've found just being up front with the HD makes a big difference, your not trying to hide anything from him that way.

PS: Guess I'm not the only one thinking of the old store front! Going to add that to the side of the trailer going above the roof line abit. Make a great place for signage!

Good luck.

Last edited by Willard; 08-28-2009 at 07:51 PM..
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #17
SmokyBear
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Go to your local HD and get an application for a plan review FIRST!

I built this myself...
Thats a nice looking rig you got there Bbq Bubba. Where do you have your smoker tank at?

I was looking and thinking of something like these. Not sure which way to go wood siding or just nice looking sheet metal siding??

OR

SmokyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #18
stillsmokintn
Knows what a fatty is.

i like the yellow one at the end .clean looking,slick side easy to put graphics on overall nice looking rig.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
stillsmokintn
Knows what a fatty is.

i like the wood lookin ones also but if your going to be traveling weight would be a concern for me.if i was more at a permanent location and only moved around a little probally go with wood type.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #20
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Long answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyBear View Post
I'm just asking if I build it while I live here in Florida and it is according to not only Florida's and my counties HD Spec'd and in six months I'm living in somewhere in the Southweast! My question does one State HD dictate a different setup from each another. Smoky Bear
Short answer - each State is different. Within a State different county HD's can interpret differently but once you are State licensed here in MI that's it.

Long answer - a lot of the things will be the same. Here in MI your SOP's can dictate what extra equipment you need. If you use water for your cooking or vending (soda fountain as an example) then you have a whole different water setup costing a lot more. Just ask Bubba. I've heard Florida has a fairly tough code so meeting it will probably leave you in good shape for other States. Still you can't cross the State line and vend using your Florida certificate. You can however get an event permit that's cheaper than a full yearly permit. For sure you'll want to mount the smokers outside the vending area. Otherwise you be into a huge vent hood for smoke extraction.

The unit should have screen doors and a self closing vending window. If you plan to put in a stove or fryer figure on a range hood. If building from scratch get RV tanks for fresh and holding and have a 3 bay sink and hand sink. Here's a MI rule to consider. The largest thing you need to wash (cutting board maybe) must fit in the sink to be approved. Not just a corner. But my SOP's say I use only disposable cutting boards so the largest thing I have is tongs to wash. Means I could use a bar sink with smaller basins. That's important as you must adequately fill all 3 sinks plus the hand sink at the same time with hot water. Even turning my 6 gallon up to 150 barely got me there. Also need a mop sink but I can use a connection into the drain pipe with a plug I can remove to put in a funnel.

Walls need to be washable. Some States have lighting requirements but all require shielded lights or else NSF approved tubes ($25 per 4 foot and I have 4). Depending on what you install youíll want propane (rules for that as well) and 30 or 50 amp box and a generator to run it when you canít get adequate power. If the water heater is electric it takes most of a 15 amp circuit while heating up. Floor needs to be washable. All equipment and storage at least 6Ē off the floor for mopping under it. Thatís pretty standard across all States from what Iíve seen. And they do measure it.

All tables, fridge and food prep and holding equipment needs to be NSF approved. And while not required Iíd strongly recommend you insulate the trailer and put in AC. Thatís a whole additional cost and running cost as it means a bigger generator and you need to use it rather than supplied 15 amp. So if you do decide to run AC then go to a qualified trailer guy who can add a generator bay and a gas tank that feeds it rather than using a portable one. Nothing like having to fill every 5 hours when youíre onsite for a week at a fair. And a generator to run all that is probably burning a gallon per hour so itís a lot of gas in 5 gallon cans.

Now Iíve just begun to touch the surface of what you need to know. You can email me for my number and we can talk if you want.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #21
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great post, Ford!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers and Grizzly Coolers
big brother smoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #22
SmokyBear
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Short answer - each State is different. Within a State different county HD's can interpret differently but once you are State licensed here in MI that's it.

Long answer - a lot of the things will be the same. Here in MI your SOP's can dictate what extra equipment you need. If you use water for your cooking or vending (soda fountain as an example) then you have a whole different water setup costing a lot more. Just ask Bubba. I've heard Florida has a fairly tough code so meeting it will probably leave you in good shape for other States. Still you can't cross the State line and vend using your Florida certificate. You can however get an event permit that's cheaper than a full yearly permit. For sure you'll want to mount the smokers outside the vending area. Otherwise you be into a huge vent hood for smoke extraction.

The unit should have screen doors and a self closing vending window. If you plan to put in a stove or fryer figure on a range hood. If building from scratch get RV tanks for fresh and holding and have a 3 bay sink and hand sink. Here's a MI rule to consider. The largest thing you need to wash (cutting board maybe) must fit in the sink to be approved. Not just a corner. But my SOP's say I use only disposable cutting boards so the largest thing I have is tongs to wash. Means I could use a bar sink with smaller basins. That's important as you must adequately fill all 3 sinks plus the hand sink at the same time with hot water. Even turning my 6 gallon up to 150 barely got me there. Also need a mop sink but I can use a connection into the drain pipe with a plug I can remove to put in a funnel.

Walls need to be washable. Some States have lighting requirements but all require shielded lights or else NSF approved tubes ($25 per 4 foot and I have 4). Depending on what you install youíll want propane (rules for that as well) and 30 or 50 amp box and a generator to run it when you canít get adequate power. If the water heater is electric it takes most of a 15 amp circuit while heating up. Floor needs to be washable. All equipment and storage at least 6Ē off the floor for mopping under it. Thatís pretty standard across all States from what Iíve seen. And they do measure it.

All tables, fridge and food prep and holding equipment needs to be NSF approved. And while not required Iíd strongly recommend you insulate the trailer and put in AC. Thatís a whole additional cost and running cost as it means a bigger generator and you need to use it rather than supplied 15 amp. So if you do decide to run AC then go to a qualified trailer guy who can add a generator bay and a gas tank that feeds it rather than using a portable one. Nothing like having to fill every 5 hours when youíre onsite for a week at a fair. And a generator to run all that is probably burning a gallon per hour so itís a lot of gas in 5 gallon cans.

Now Iíve just begun to touch the surface of what you need to know. You can email me for my number and we can talk if you want.
Thank You Ford for your answer. I will use your information to go further with my build. And I will most likely go with someting like the yellow one because of weight. But maybe on one end use the Old Western Store front as a theme. By the way I was raised in Michigan. Not your area, but in Redford and then towards Walled Lake MI. Nice meeting you.
Smoky Bear
SmokyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #23
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

i'm not sure about michigan but in my area of kentucky even your pit area has to be fully screened in.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #24
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

SmokeyBear - The HD is always a great place to start, as they vary so much. I have a custume built 1990 23' Grummin Step Van that was built for the Salvation Army. I cook on a Lang 84 stick burner trailer I pull. My point of view of what is important is as follows:
1) Work Space (Both Table - Head room and asile)
2) Storage Space
3) Food Steam Table / Warmer
4) Frig / Cold Storage space
5) Good serving window
6) Awning(s)
7) Good Gen Set (Hard to beat an Onan)
Switch For Land Line / Gen Set
9) Fresh water Tank / Water hose direct and Gray water tank & Hot water heater (In-Line if possible).
10) Hand wash sink.
11) Fire extegisher

Those are the basics then you get into if you want to have flat top/ burners / range / fryer you will need a poer vent hood and fire suppression system and LP Tank shut-off.

First one out, I would research the web for used units and new and see the lay-outs availible. I comes down to how much $ you have to invest and what venues you want to attend and food types to sell.

here are some pics of my rig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jerky Web Pics 014.jpg (51.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Jerky Web Pics 027.jpg (66.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0222.jpg (66.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0231.jpg (54.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0261.jpg (49.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0238.jpg (55.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0270.jpg (41.6 KB, 84 views)

Thanks from:--->